Another: What is the best ECU ? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > ECU / Mapping

Old 04-02-2008, 20:03   #1
MTHawkins

Car: Evo VII ..... GT-A Modified !!!
My Car
Another: What is the best ECU ?

I am looking into rebuilding an 8 engine with some special modifications ie:

Cosworth head, GSC cams, nice turbo (not sure what yet!!) etc.

So was wondering what is the best ecu available at the moment?

I am looking for it to be able to do datalogging, launch control, valet mode, switchable maps (sport-normal driving mode), antilag and usb input for base map tuning etc.

Any thoughts?
MTHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 21:33   #2
Adamantium

Car: Nothing - no car - help me!
My Car
nasty question that won't be answered properly on here because everyone will suggest the ecu that they have or the ecu that their tuner of chocie recommends.

It depends what you are prepared to accept.

For me the standard ecu is excellent within my current parameters of engine use. Others will want a more easily mapped standalone unit that still fits in the stock location and uses the stock loom and thats the autronic sm4. Others still will want more toys and things like wide band lambda and won't care about butchering their looms a little or running loom adapters to extra sensors that they don't currenty have.

Ultimately any essentially plug and play ecus for the evo will be flawed because the evo's standard timing wheel leaves a lot to be desired and in ultimate realms of timing accuracy is seriously lacking. To correct that you would be better off with a standalone that can run a high resolution tooth pattern on the crank timing wheel.

For me the preferred chocie in that respect would be a pectel or a life racing but only because at that level they are the only ecus that I have any experience of, the biggest plus point being their flexibility and the fact that their interface was designed by mappers not by programmers. Everything is basically where you need it to be and can be tailored to do what you want it to do.

without being into your mapping, a lot of these functions won't make any sense and you'll assume that if it runs the engine they are all the same, but this is not the case until you look a lot more closely.

I believe that there is an ecu on the horizon that has been designed from the ground by a mapper who happens to be an electronics expert, but built by life racing. This will be in the form of a generic ecu with a pcb adapter that allows it to fit into the standard ecu case and plug into the standard loom. It will have all the toys 99.9999999% of people on here would want, but it will require a custom timing wheel so isn't entirely plug and play.

I get the impression that once that is on the market, given its price, that will be the "best" in terms of what you are asking and what everyone on this and most forums expect from an ecu.

Keep your eyes open for the next few months. I amy even be tempted to run one myself if the mapper responsible for it feels like using my car as the evo guinea pig.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 21:53   #3
bloke101

Car: Evoless atm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
nasty question that won't be answered properly on here because everyone will suggest the ecu that they have or the ecu that their tuner of chocie recommends.

For me the standard ecu is excellent within my current parameters of engine use. Others will want a more easily mapped standalone unit that still fits in the stock location and uses the stock loom and thats the autronic sm4. Others still will want more toys and things like wide band lambda and won't care about butchering their looms a little or running loom adapters to extra sensors that they don't currenty have.

Ultimately any essentially plug and play ecus for the evo will be flawed because the evo's standard timing wheel leaves a lot to be desired and in ultimate realms of timing accuracy is seriously lacking. To correct that you would be better off with a standalone that can run a high resolution tooth pattern on the crank timing wheel.

For me the preferred chocie in that respect would be a pectel or a life racing but only because at that level they are the only ecus that I have any experience of, the biggest plus point being their flexibility and the fact that their interface was designed by mappers not by programmers. Everything is basically where you need it to be and can be tailored to do what you want it to do.

without being into your mapping, a lot of these functions won't make any sense and you'll assume that if it runs the engine they are all the same, but this is not the case until you look a lot more closely.

I believe that there is an ecu on the horizon that has been designed from the ground by a mapper who happens to be an electronics expert, but built by life racing. This will be in the form of a generic ecu with a pcb adapter that allows it to fit into the standard ecu case and plug into the standard loom. It will have all the toys 99.9999999% of people on here would want, but it will require a custom timing wheel so isn't entirely plug and play.

I get the impression that once that is on the market, given its price, that will be the "best" in terms of what you are asking and what everyone on this and most forums expect from an ecu.

Keep your eyes open for the next few months. I amy even be tempted to run one myself if the mapper responsible for it feels like using my car as the evo guinea pig.
He means get a motec M800

99% less grief than squeezing blood from a stone.

He wishes he had one really.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 22:16   #4
Adamantium

My Car
see, people who don't know what they are talking about just pushing their favourite ecu because they don't know any better!

It's like getting crap from an idiot!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:46   #5
MTHawkins

My Car
Quote:

This sounds very interesting , Have you any further info you could give me? or if you could pm your contact number a chat would be great
Old 05-02-2008, 09:57   #6
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHawkins View Post
I am looking into rebuilding an 8 engine with some special modifications ie:

Cosworth head, GSC cams, nice turbo (not sure what yet!!) etc.

So was wondering what is the best ecu available at the moment?

I am looking for it to be able to do datalogging, launch control, valet mode, switchable maps (sport-normal driving mode), antilag and usb input for base map tuning etc.

Any thoughts?

What car is it for as your sig says GTA so you cant get a direct fit Autronic for that version.

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:23   #7
Adamantium

My Car
am happy to pm my number, but I suspect this will come down to you choosing the tuner/mapper that is the most convenient for you and that you are happiest with and going with what they recommend. Mostly because if they are doing the work, they need familiarity to get the best out of it.

A well mapped lesser ecu is easily going to outperform a poorly mapped mega ecu with all the bells and whistles, especially if they aren't being utilised by someone who is out of their depth.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38   #8
burgers22

Car: VII GSR, Ti zorst, ECUflash, 3 port BCS, meth injection, Intrax coilovers, K Sport brakes.
If you are looking to do the tuning yourself, enjoy messing about with PCs and cars, you can do the things you need on the stock ECU. With an out lay of about £300 (£200 for a wideband, £100 for a cable),and assuming you have a laptop, you can tune & log the stock ECU quite easily.

With some more work you can install a set of patches that have been developed, that support valet mode, switchable maps, NLTS, launch control.

It really depends on your needs and budget.

Click my sig for more info.

MB
burgers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:25   #9
MTHawkins

My Car
Quote:
am happy to pm my number, but I suspect this will come down to you choosing the tuner/mapper that is the most convenient for you and that you are happiest with and going with what they recommend. Mostly because if they are doing the work, they need familiarity to get the best out of it.

A well mapped lesser ecu is easily going to outperform a poorly mapped mega ecu with all the bells and whistles, especially if they aren't being utilised by someone who is out of their depth.
I have a spare 8 engine at the moment so am going to do the engine work myself ..... as far as the mapping goes I will be taking it most likely to [email protected] halifax
Old 05-02-2008, 11:47   #10
Adamantium

My Car
that'll be the ecutek then.

It gives the same mapping options as the ecuflash but with a nicer user interface but that won't affect you if you aren't tuning.

Sadly the ecutek doesn't support all the mods that burgers has mentioned above as these were developed on a shareware basis by the ecuflash community who are staunchly anti ecutek since it charges for something that they ahve achieved for free by reverse engineering.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:58   #11
burgers22

Car: VII GSR, Ti zorst, ECUflash, 3 port BCS, meth injection, Intrax coilovers, K Sport brakes.
I don't know about anti ECUtek, it's a very viable option for some, just takes all the fun out of it, what else would I idle away my hours with?

MB
Old 05-02-2008, 13:25   #12
cossie1

Car: Evoless :(
My Car
I think TRL will map ecutek, motec, power fc, pretty much anything, except ecuflash (as there an ecutek dealer) and autronics, as I don't think there autronics dealers.
cossie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 19:54   #13
grants
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevelopments View Post
What car is it for as your sig says GTA so you cant get a direct fit Autronic for that version.

Mark
Following on from Marks comments the GTA transmission is controlled by the stock ECU. I'm not aware of any "plug & play" aftermarket ECU.

Your options are;
EcuTek
burgertek
A piggy back ECU, I believe RC have fitted AEM ECU's to GTA's

HTH

Grant
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 20:33   #14
stevov
Senior User

Car: EVO 5
My Car
Quote:
that'll be the ecutek then.

i think you'll find that matt is extremely competent with a number of management systems
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 20:43   #15
burgers22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
burgertek
He he...if only I was smart enough to have added anything more than a very small contribution to the whole affair. I'm just a bit noisier than most

MB
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: