Lancer Register Forum banner

Oil Advice and Recommendations here!

515K views 2K replies 475 participants last post by  benntrevv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hopefully this thread will save some time and people asking the same questions every day. (Sticky Admins?)

I'm more than happy to give oil recommendations and advice here which will hopefully build up to a useful OIL FAQ in time.

Just a short introduction first. My name is Simon Barnard and I run an oil distribution business in the South West. (We are an MLR Trader)

We sell the following brands: Silkolene, Motul, Fuchs, Castrol, Mobil1 and Total (totalling over 300 different oils) and deliver overnight throughout UK Mainland.

My web is here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ where you will find technical data on most the oils we sell.

We are more than happy to help in giving advice as we subscibe to proprietory databases that give use oil data on all cars back as far as the mid 80's.

We can give you the most suitable grade for any part of your car and can recommend products from our ranges. We even keep data and chemical analysis on some oils that we don't sell!

You can always PM or Email me if you wish to discuss a matter off the forum.

So my recommendations are as follows:

According to my reference books, the following oils are the OEM recommendations for your stock Lancers used as road cars.

Lancer 1300, 1500 (84-89) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1500 (88-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1600, 1800 gti 16v (88 onwards) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1800 GLXi 4WD (89-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer EVO VI (99 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VII (2001 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VIII (2003 onwards) 5w-40 fully

If you have modded your car, affecting BHP and temps or are using it for competition/track days then other factors need to be taken into account and I will have to deal with these enquiries individually.

I will however need the Make, Model, Year, Engine Size, Modifications (stock BHP vs Modded BHP) and stlye of driving (road/track) etc and I can more accurately recommend the correct viscosity oil for you.

Please also bear in mind that modding your car or using it in "anger" means the need for a more shear stable oil that will "stay in grade" rather than shear down with use so I would always in these situations recommend the use of a proper ester/pao synthetic oil, not a petroleum oil as is commonly sold and labelled as a synthetic oil.

Please feel free to ask.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Simon

See less See more
#81 ·
#82 ·
x7evolution7x said:
oilman,
what do you think of CALTEX HAVOLINE fully synthetic 5w40? Have you tried this? its the only 5w40 fully synthetic available in my area. but it states that it can also be used for diesel engines. Is this any good? thanks

http://www.caltexoils.com/Caltex+In...s+Listing/Caltex+Havoline+Fully+Synthetic.htm
Most modern 5w-40's can be used for petrol or diesel.

There are better oils out there but I'm sure it'll be fine.

If you can find Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40, Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 or Motul 8100 5w-40 or 300V 5w-40 I would use these instead as they are top oils.

Cheers
Simon

#83 ·
Hi,

I have just bought a 99 VI with 28k on the clock. It is totally standard at the moment but would like to take it to about 330hp with the usual full 3" exhaust & de-cat, induction with cold air box, boost controller, fuel pump, etc.

Would you still recommend the 5w-40 or would you suggest the 10w-50 instead?

I also would like to change the g/box oil as well, reading the other posts you recommend the Syn 5 75w-90. Is this right?

Would you be able to send me a price list also.

Thanks

Anthony

#92 ·
Oilman, currently been using Mobil 1 0w-40 provided by local Mitsi garage and wondered if you could confirm if this is the right grade or if i should be using a different grade of oil.
The car is used mostly on the road with maybe 3/4 track days during the year, car has 370bhp with uprated rods/pistons etc.
Your thoughts please.

#95 ·
We cannot supply ayc fluid at the moment because we are having trouble finding out the correct spec for the oil.

Some people use dexron III atf, but this is not a direct match as the ayc fluid also seems to have some hydraulic properties to it.

A trip to your friendly Mitsi dealer on this one.

Cheers

Simon.

#97 ·
The Castrol RS 10w-60 is not all its cracked up to be.

It is not a true synthetic but a hydrocracked mineral oil and is classed as a group III oil, Mobil 1 comes in at group IV but at the top are Motul and Silkolene with Group V oils.

More importantly is the grade, the SAE60 is too thick for you car, go no thicker then a SAE50.

Cheers

Simon.

#100 ·
hi simon
i have an e6 with one noisey tappet which isnt there all the time but drifts in and out on warm tickover but not all the time. want to change the oil to see if it helps. it is standard other than de-cat exhaust and filter. any recommendations and a price please.
thanks andy

#101 ·
goldie evo said:
hi simon
i have an e6 with one noisey tappet which isnt there all the time but drifts in and out on warm tickover but not all the time. want to change the oil to see if it helps. it is standard other than de-cat exhaust and filter. any recommendations and a price please.
thanks andy
Andy,

The Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 is very good at keeping tappets quiet, as well as being top quality oil.

For prices, drop me a mail to sales@opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Simon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.