Lancer Register Forum banner

Oil Advice and Recommendations here!

515K views 2K replies 475 participants last post by  benntrevv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hopefully this thread will save some time and people asking the same questions every day. (Sticky Admins?)

I'm more than happy to give oil recommendations and advice here which will hopefully build up to a useful OIL FAQ in time.

Just a short introduction first. My name is Simon Barnard and I run an oil distribution business in the South West. (We are an MLR Trader)

We sell the following brands: Silkolene, Motul, Fuchs, Castrol, Mobil1 and Total (totalling over 300 different oils) and deliver overnight throughout UK Mainland.

My web is here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ where you will find technical data on most the oils we sell.

We are more than happy to help in giving advice as we subscibe to proprietory databases that give use oil data on all cars back as far as the mid 80's.

We can give you the most suitable grade for any part of your car and can recommend products from our ranges. We even keep data and chemical analysis on some oils that we don't sell!

You can always PM or Email me if you wish to discuss a matter off the forum.

So my recommendations are as follows:

According to my reference books, the following oils are the OEM recommendations for your stock Lancers used as road cars.

Lancer 1300, 1500 (84-89) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1500 (88-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1600, 1800 gti 16v (88 onwards) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1800 GLXi 4WD (89-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer EVO VI (99 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VII (2001 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VIII (2003 onwards) 5w-40 fully

If you have modded your car, affecting BHP and temps or are using it for competition/track days then other factors need to be taken into account and I will have to deal with these enquiries individually.

I will however need the Make, Model, Year, Engine Size, Modifications (stock BHP vs Modded BHP) and stlye of driving (road/track) etc and I can more accurately recommend the correct viscosity oil for you.

Please also bear in mind that modding your car or using it in "anger" means the need for a more shear stable oil that will "stay in grade" rather than shear down with use so I would always in these situations recommend the use of a proper ester/pao synthetic oil, not a petroleum oil as is commonly sold and labelled as a synthetic oil.

Please feel free to ask.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Simon

See less See more
#27 ·
Since changing my oil from 5w40 to 15w50 i've since been getting hydraulic valve lift noise everytime the engine is cold. needs to be warmed up for 10 min. before the noise goes away. Would this be caused by the viscosity of the oil? there wasnt any available 5w40 or 10w40 in my area thats why i tried the 15w50. would it mess up my engine if I still continue on using the 15w50? Im still trying to locate 5w40 or 10w40...... what do you suggest mobil 1 or motul? thanks! BTW, I live in a hot & humid country.

#29 ·
x7evolution7x said:
Since changing my oil from 5w40 to 15w50 i've since been getting hydraulic valve lift noise everytime the engine is cold. needs to be warmed up for 10 min. before the noise goes away. Would this be caused by the viscosity of the oil? there wasnt any available 5w40 or 10w40 in my area thats why i tried the 15w50. would it mess up my engine if I still continue on using the 15w50? Im still trying to locate 5w40 or 10w40...... what do you suggest mobil 1 or motul? thanks! BTW, I live in a hot & humid country.
Normally a thicker oil will quieten things down but they vary in their effectiveness. Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 is a good one for this purpose if you can get hold of it.

Motul is better than Mobil in my opinion.

Cheers
Simon

#33 ·
Just to say, I'm not ignoring you on this one.

I'm waiting for a definative reply on the gear oil which seems to be 75w-90. The definative on the engine is 5w-40 or 10w-40.

I expect to have a reply on monday and will get back to you.

Cheers
Simon

#35 ·
T Makinnen said:
Thanks for the like Simon, looks like there is a direct Silkolene ATF replacement for Dexron II. Is there any real difference between Dexron II and Dexron III?
Dextron III has a higher heat capacity than Dextron II. Incidentally, while Dextron III is supposed to be good for the AYC system it is not the same as ATF-SP-III

#36 ·
Hi Weebl,

Ah... who makes ATF-SP-III or better is there and easily obtainable alternative? Mitsi Dia Queen is just their name for ATF-SP-III is you told me a while back, do you have any more info?

#38 ·
EVO VII AYC

hello oilman,

I need to get the recommended oil for my AYC rear diff and boot resorvoir.

also can you recommend a full list of lubes for my car, i drive an EVO VII GSR, no mods yet...will be installing a 3037s in late jan with full forged internals and will probably need to review engine lubes then.

i currently use millers cfs as recommended by clive at RC..

anxiously awaiting your reply

cheers

email at esat@tstt.net.tt

#39 ·
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII (2001 Onwards)

Engine SH/SJ 5W-40/10W-40 4.9litres

Manual Gearbox GL-4 75W-90 2.8litres

Auto Gearbox n/a

Differential(s) GL-5 80W/90 0.5litres

Coolant AS

Transfer Box GL-4 75W-90 0.6litres

Power Steering (where fitted) ATF-D2

Brake and Clutch Fluid J1703/DOT 3/4

Wheel Bearings GrLi2

Would suggest for the engine that you look at ester based synthetics like Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 or Motul 300V 5w-40 or 10w-40. Manual gearbox look at Silkolene Syn 5 75w-90 or Motul 300 75w-90. You can also use these in diff as they're suitable for road and competition LSD's and also in transfer box.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Simon

#46 ·
Hi simon, i wonder if you could recommend an oil for my evo1, it has 70k on the clock, and is need of a good service as i drive like a lunatic all the time :D
also, the box makes a little crunch in to fifth, would replacing the transmition fluid help?? if so could you recommend a good one please?

ta very much.

chris

#48 ·
Evo VIII FQ-300 - Engine Oil (dealer choice)

Hi Simon

I dont know if you can help on this one.

I have an VIII FQ-300, 18,000 miles or so, with just a downpipe and decat.

The Mitsubishi dealers have always used Castrol SLX 0W30 as the engine oil - is this a good choice - they've insisted that this is the oil recomended by Mitsubishi?

Many thanks

Darren

#51 ·
Hiya Si,

A rally team uses Silkolene Pro R 15w/50 Oil on my Evo7 FQ300 (approx 17K miles)

Now whats the difference between this and Silkolene Pro S 10w/50 Oil as the Pro S is slightly more expensive and i wondered why??

cheers

Jono

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.