Lancer Register Forum banner

Brembo caliper pad change nightmare!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  grants 
#1 ·

It's not the best weather for changing the brake pads outside, but they needed to be done so this morning I started. On discovering that the dust shield had rusted out I decided to change that as well.

Unfortunately while removing the calipers one of the bolts was welded in and the head snapped off (see pic). What was supposed to be a quick job has turned it to a bit of a nightmare.

This happened to anyone else and any ideas on extraction? I was going to start drilling! Failing that I think I may need to remove the caliper and find a machine shop to do the work.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to respond:smthumbup

See less See more
#4 ·
Starting to think I should have done just that!! Took the caliper to my friend who has all the tools, he welded a nut on to the end of the broken bolt but it still would not come off. Ended up drilling it out, and then re-tapping the thread.

I put the caliper back on and the new pads would not fit ... After a bit of reading here on the MLR I found out that behind the metal plate on the Brembo calipers corrosion can build up and stop the new brake pads fitting. Off came both calipers front and then tried to remove the one screw that holds the metal plate in place.
The screws were completely corroded and TBH would not come out at all, even with a bit of heat and a chisel to cut a new grove in the screw head. I managed to use a Stanley blade to clean out behind the plates a bit and don't judge me lol, I used the grinder to remove a small amount off the new pads so they fit in the calipers and were able to move freely.

Its all back together now and I pumped a litre of brake fluid through them and then went for a test drive. Lots of new noises now occur:wallbang:, the worst is a loud grinding/ whirring noise when turning left from the driver's side. The car brakes ok, but I must have done something wrong as its just not right (this was my first time changing the brakes or removing the calipers from a car).

Thinking of taking all the callipers off and finding somewhere to refurb them properly. They are 20 years old now after all.. Anyone know anywhere or can recommend, I want them painted or powder coated as well?

thanks again for any advice:smthumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.