Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo X Fuel Relays

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Andrew1981 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have been trying to pin down the expert opinion of which relays need changing and for which part number, but there seems to be some difference of opinion depending where you ask, so....

Which relays require replacing for definite?

Old MFI relay Part Number MR301978 for new MR400709? (there seems to be a general consensus about this one).

Old Fuel Pump Relay MR588567 for new,

MR122409?
8627A024?
8627A049?
Something else?

What is the opinion of the MLR?

Cheers, :)

#3 ·
Thanks mate.

I read that thread but the info wasn’t as up to date as some other stuff I found around on the net.

I seem to have answered my own question though, the very latest relay specified by Mitsi is a Panasonic 8627A030, although even this has seen reports of failure, albeit after 30k plus miles. The good news is it was only like $10 direct from a dealer rather than some of the stupid prices I have seen advertised online.

#4 ·
The model number and make has changed multiple times over the years. I think the main thing is to replace the original with new and do it again each 20k miles or so. The problem is there's no visible way of checking is condition without destroying it!

And given what they cost, my personal advice (which I followed for my own Xs) is to replace all the OE relays of the same kind (4 or 5 from memory). And I also changed the two larger ones, one of which is ABS, but can't recall what the other one is for). This followed a period when you be driving along quite happily and then the engine would simply die - which was very disconcerting indeed!! Changing all the relays sorted it and it ran faultlessly thereafter - both for the remainder of my ownership and thereafter.

#5 ·
Cheers, I figured on getting a few spares at that low cost and just swapping them out every now and again. I did test this new one in the headlight relay position to confirm it wasn’t DOA so that gave me a bit of confidence.

Thanks guys :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.