Lancer Register Forum banner

Oil Advice and Recommendations here!

515K views 2K replies 475 participants last post by  benntrevv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hopefully this thread will save some time and people asking the same questions every day. (Sticky Admins?)

I'm more than happy to give oil recommendations and advice here which will hopefully build up to a useful OIL FAQ in time.

Just a short introduction first. My name is Simon Barnard and I run an oil distribution business in the South West. (We are an MLR Trader)

We sell the following brands: Silkolene, Motul, Fuchs, Castrol, Mobil1 and Total (totalling over 300 different oils) and deliver overnight throughout UK Mainland.

My web is here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ where you will find technical data on most the oils we sell.

We are more than happy to help in giving advice as we subscibe to proprietory databases that give use oil data on all cars back as far as the mid 80's.

We can give you the most suitable grade for any part of your car and can recommend products from our ranges. We even keep data and chemical analysis on some oils that we don't sell!

You can always PM or Email me if you wish to discuss a matter off the forum.

So my recommendations are as follows:

According to my reference books, the following oils are the OEM recommendations for your stock Lancers used as road cars.

Lancer 1300, 1500 (84-89) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1500 (88-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1600, 1800 gti 16v (88 onwards) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1800 GLXi 4WD (89-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer EVO VI (99 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VII (2001 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VIII (2003 onwards) 5w-40 fully

If you have modded your car, affecting BHP and temps or are using it for competition/track days then other factors need to be taken into account and I will have to deal with these enquiries individually.

I will however need the Make, Model, Year, Engine Size, Modifications (stock BHP vs Modded BHP) and stlye of driving (road/track) etc and I can more accurately recommend the correct viscosity oil for you.

Please also bear in mind that modding your car or using it in "anger" means the need for a more shear stable oil that will "stay in grade" rather than shear down with use so I would always in these situations recommend the use of a proper ester/pao synthetic oil, not a petroleum oil as is commonly sold and labelled as a synthetic oil.

Please feel free to ask.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Simon

See less See more
#1,851 ·
Hi

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

#1,856 ·
What oil for AYC top up

Hi,

After few hundreds of miles of spirited driving in the snow:mhihi:, I noticed today that the AYC fluid in the left compartment of the boot is just below the min indication.

So, what do I fill up with before I do a proper oil change in summer? The oil that is in there right now is Mitsi's.

Thanks,
Socrates

#1,859 ·
Question regarding recommendations for oil:

Vehicle: Evo 9 GT with 70 series turbo running stock power

Mainly used for slalom/sprints (running street class). So driving (temperature range) will be generally speaking based around

- 20-50 miles on highway to event
- 0.6 miles to 3 miles of sprinting/slalom (3-4 runs - generally 50 seconds to 2 mins long with a 5 minute interval in between)
- 20-50 miles highway back home

Would Millers 5W-40 fit the bill?

#1,861 ·
Question regarding recommendations for oil:

Vehicle: Evo 9 GT with 70 series turbo running stock power

Mainly used for slalom/sprints (running street class). So driving (temperature range) will be generally speaking based around

- 20-50 miles on highway to event
- 0.6 miles to 3 miles of sprinting/slalom (3-4 runs - generally 50 seconds to 2 mins long with a 5 minute interval in between)
- 20-50 miles highway back home

Would Millers 5W-40 fit the bill?
Hi,

Yes, Millers CFS or CFS NT+ 5w-40 will be ideal for that.

Cheers

Tim

#1,860 ·
I have a tech question about mixing different brands of oil and wonder whether you can advise?

I have a litre or so of Petronas Syntium 5w40 Synthetic oil and wondered whether it'd be acceptable to use it as a top-up oil for my remapped standard-engine Evo 6 while running Mobil1 5w40 Synthetic?

Cheerz

Mark H

#1,863 · (Edited)
Hi all

Although it's not directly related to oil recommendations, I didn't want to start a new thread about it so here it goes.

Just installed an oil temperature and oil pressure sensor on my evo x.

What should be the proper readings for idle, cruising, fast mountain driving and track?

At what readings should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Sent from my H9436 using Tapatalk

#1,864 · (Edited)
hi guys

Btw regarding the above, oil is working at around 90C and during a fast mountain drive it goes no higher than 115C. Pressure at idle at those temps is around 1,6-1,7 and 1,5-1,6 respectively.

I just swapped the 300v 5w40 with a Mobil 1 FS 0w40, I will monitor it.

Regarding engine oil has anyone used the engine specific oil HKS makes for the Evo X?

ENGINE SPECIFIC OIL EVO-X (3.5W37)
【EVO-X (3.5W37)】

The best to use for the 4B11 engine on Lancer Evolution X, Galant Fortis Turbo, etc.

HKS' original "HIPER ESTER" can follow extreme boundary lubrication of any kind of engines on the metal absorbed molecular level. The optimized oil viscosity for the 4B11 engine enables the use of this oil under higher load. Airtightness and friction balance of this oil are maintained at high levels.

#1,867 ·
Hi

I would use a good 5w-40 synthetic.

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

#1,873 ·
Hi

Sorry for not getting back sooner, looks like I didn't get the notifications for some reason.

Kieran, a 5w-40 is ideal.

Cheers

Tim

#1,877 ·
Can anyone shed a bit of light?

We've had a heated discussion in the office as to why I paid near £50 for 5 litres of Fuchs Titan Pro when I could buy oil to the same API specification for much less, is there any difference, is it just marketing? What's the deal?

#1,879 ·
:lol::wallbang::handsup::mhihi:

#1,881 · (Edited)
I’ve used Titan Pro for the last 10 plus years, but my work mates question was why buy the dear stuff when there is cheaper but the same specification. I couldn’t answer him other than I wouldn’t take the risk, but I’d like to know an answer

#1,882 ·
I've used Titan Pro for the last 10 plus years, but my work mates question was why buy the dear stuff when there is cheaper but the same specification. I couldn't answer him other than I wouldn't take the risk, but I'd like to know an answer
The cheaper stuff isnt the same ,I'm no expert on it but the cheaper ones are not the same spec even though it might appear to say they are. it's a known fact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.