Evo 5 main beam not working - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Electrical / Security / ICE / Navigation

Old 20-08-2019, 07:59   #1
JonW

Evo 5 main beam not working

Hi, It seems my main (low) beam isnt working. The high beam and the side lights work fine.

Anyone got any ideas on something to check other than the relays and fuses as I looked at the fuse/relay pod on the wing in the engine bay and everything looks ok in there.

Any help greatly received before I start pulling out meters and working through the system... Any wiring diagrams would be good for that too ta.

I did originally have an issue with this and wobbling the connector on the drivers side headlight bulb did bring them back to life, but that bodge isnt working now. Perhaps there is a connection issue in there? or am I grasping at straws lol.
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-08-2019, 08:06   #2
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Maybe try changing the bulb?
Old 20-08-2019, 10:45   #3
JonW

Haha, yep, Ive done that... tried 2 just to make sure lol

I was wondering if there was some fuse or relay i was missing in my search or there was a common Evo 4/5/6 issue with say the stalk switch or some connector etc. I did google that sort of issue but came up empty so figured it was worth asking here.

Last edited by JonW; 20-08-2019 at 10:47..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-08-2019, 21:03   #4
Uzumaki
User

Car: JDM TME & Evo Wagon & Evo 8MR Ralliart Edition in pieces
My Car
Stalk switch.
I had the same issue on my V and VI.
It switches earth between low beam and high beam. (when it's working)
MR277093 SWITCH,TURN SIGNAL LAMP & LIGHTING
Old 21-08-2019, 21:33   #5
JonW

Ah ha! There it is, I did wonder. Thanks so much Uzumaki, I'll get one bought!
Old 13-09-2019, 01:59   #6
JonW

Update: New MR277093 stalk switch fitted and I now have main/low beam again. Perfect. Thanks Usumaki!

If anyone else in Aus is looking for one of these, dont bother with the dealer (I know we already knew this!) they wanted $568 for this switch. Amayama supplied one for a much more sensible $123. I cant quite believe Mitsubishi Aus's gall really, this is a Lancer part and considering most normal Lancers are circa $2k ****ters with short rego this would be >1/4 the value of the car. I know if they needed a clutch it'd be the same fitted but this fault would see some people scrap those cars... food for thought.

My advice to anyone with a 4/5/6/6.5 you want to keep is to get one of these and store it safely as it fails without provocation. My car is very low mileage but still this thing died.
Old 13-09-2019, 06:52   #7
adamlstr
Senior User

Car: VI GSR, Scotia
My Car
On a similar line, do you think there's a way to get both low and high beam to light up when you select high beam? If you hold the stalk back when you switch to high, they both stay on and emit much more light.

Anything to get brighter lights would be good.
adamlstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 00:53   #8
JonW

Adam, the way I read what is written above is that you cant have em both on at the same time as the switch swaps the earth between the 2 functions can you? Or are you saying that youve tried this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzumaki View Post
It switches earth between low beam and high beam. (when it's working)
I guess the problem is that while you get more 'light' its not really where you need it. i.e. if you want more low beam then the high beam is not at the right angle/area and vice versa.

I agree better lights would be very nice indeed. I cant believe the speeds I used to drive country lanes at nights with only candles like these back in the day

What I did fit on my WRX back then was fit the same PIAA light units I now have on the V, but they were the driving light version. These really lit up the road on high beam like it was day (the set I had came from an RB5 which had them as standard instead of fogs). I've been tempted to grab a set of new lenses for my PIAAs and run them as driving lights, but my car is bone stock and low milage so its not desirable to mod it really plus it's a bit of effort to create a loom with relays/switch etc. ...and I live in the city now so rarely drive in pitch black or away from oncoming cars... :/

Last edited by JonW; 15-09-2019 at 01:01..
Old 04-10-2019, 17:00   #9
kawkaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Adam, the way I read what is written above is that you cant have em both on at the same time as the switch swaps the earth between the 2 functions can you? Or are you saying that youve tried this?

I guess the problem is that while you get more jiofi.local.html tplinklogin 'light' its not really where you need it. i.e. if you want more low beam then the high beam is not at the right angle/area and vice versa.

I agree better lights would be very nice indeed. I cant believe the speeds I used to drive country lanes at nights with only candles like these back in the day

What I did fit on my WRX back then was fit the same PIAA light units I now have on the V, but they were the driving light version. These really lit up the road on high beam like it was day (the set I had came from an RB5 which had them as standard instead of fogs). I've been tempted to grab a set of new lenses for my PIAAs and run them as driving lights, but my car is bone stock and low milage so its not desirable to mod it really plus it's a bit of effort to create a loom with relays/switch etc. ...and I live in the city now so rarely drive in pitch black or away from oncoming cars... :/
I did originally have an issue with this and wobbling the connector on the drivers side headlight bulb did bring them back to life, but that bodge isnt working now. Perhaps there is a connection issue in there? or am I grasping at straws lol.

Last edited by kawkaty; 05-10-2019 at 00:13..
kawkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 17:03   #10
kawkaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Update: New MR277093 stalk switch fitted and I now have main/low beam again. Perfect. Thanks Usumaki!

If anyone else in Aus is looking for one of these, dont bother with the dealer (I know we already knew this!) they wanted $568 for this switch. Amayama supplied one for a much more sensible $123. I cant quite believe Mitsubishi Aus's gall really, this is a Lancer part and considering most normal Lancers are circa $2k ****ters with short rego this would be >1/4 the value of the car. I know if they needed a clutch it'd be the same fitted but this fault would see some people scrap those cars... food for thought.

My advice to anyone with a 4/5/6/6.5 you want to keep is to get one of these and store it safely as it fails without provocation. My car is very low mileage but still this thing died.
Any help greatly received before I start pulling out meters and working through the system... Any wiring diagrams would be good for that too ta.
kawkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 17:23   #11
jhfozzy
S.Wales R.O./Electrician

Car: Evo VI
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawkaty View Post
All the wiring diagrams are available on the homepage.

Best thing is to work logically through the circuit, I'd start at the lamp terminal to see if you have power there.
Old 04-10-2019, 17:29   #12
grants
Senior User

My Car
Troll alert
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 22:58   #13
JonW

Kawkaty, I has exactly the same issue and it was fixed with a new switch. They are not expensive from Amayama etc. Cheaper than a day of your time etc
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: