Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Im sitting on the fence with this one

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • LMAO your stupid. NO

Votes: 100 69.9%

Will i get to 500/500 from a 9.8 turbo with a 10.5 hotside

30K views 209 replies 60 participants last post by  r3k1355 
#1 · (Edited)
Before you reply saying im bonkers please keep reading.

This hasnt become a quest of mine but im finding it more interesting everytime i think about it..

Im currently developing my sprint car and after deciding i couldnt afford to splash out on an 80 series i decided to stick with the standard tubby.

My current figures using the turbo are 442hp (MLR rule) and 480lb ft

Im almost certain i can gain another 20lb ft but the question is can i get the magic 500hp with this turbo?

I open this up to a debate and poll :)

#19 ·
just waiting for it to go bang... and thats not me being nasty.....

if that was the case there would have been no need for any of us to change turbo's

and there would only be a gt35 as an upgrade.... all of us would have waisted out cash if my tubby could have done 500/500 i wouldnt have had to slowly but surely change 4 times! :D

let me know if you get 500/500 though...

#21 ·
Ok Its only fair that i back up my claims with a little proof.

Here is my result litteraly just after my long rod conversion done by TRL
This was 327hp ATW (MLR rule) 429hp

I was quetioned about the age of TRL's dyno so to count out any claims that there dyno was wrong i took my car to Hayes engineering 2 days later i made 6 less HP but 15lb ft more.

Graph to prove...

Then home i went happy as larry and competed in the ingleston sprint... i wasnt completly happy with a few things i.e the launch control on the VI-pec. so i booked in with matt@TRL again to stop off on the way to Teeside sprint.. i must admit a few minor tweaks were done at hom.. then back on the dyno and a short while later......

This was 336.6hp ATW (MLR rule) 442hp

I am attending a rolling road day at Hayes engineering on the 12th september so will be veryfying these results just as a matter of blowing any conspiricy theorys out of the water.

#72 ·
Ok Its only fair that i back up my claims with a little proof.

Here is my result litteraly just after my long rod conversion done by TRL
This was 327hp ATW (MLR rule) 429hp?????????

I was quetioned about the age of TRL's dyno so to count out any claims that there dyno was wrong i took my car to Hayes engineering 2 days later i made 6 less HP but 15lb ft more.

Graph to prove...

Then home i went happy as larry and competed in the ingleston sprint... i wasnt completly happy with a few things i.e the launch control on the VI-pec. so i booked in with matt@TRL again to stop off on the way to Teeside sprint.. i must admit a few minor tweaks were done at hom.. then back on the dyno and a short while later......

This was 336.6hp ATW (MLR rule) 442hp????????

I am attending a rolling road day at Hayes engineering on the 12th september so will be veryfying these results just as a matter of blowing any conspiricy theorys out of the water.
No offence John, but what calculatiuons are you using mate?..:confused:

My VIII was dyno'd at Wallace Performance (on their Dastek) and made 343.6 bhp ATW.

So what figures am I making then?..:lol::mhihi:

My printout says 403bhp ATF!:smthumbup ( a true 403bhp);)

#29 ·
What cant speak cant lie....

There is so many Variables when comparing dynos. i.e Strapping, AT, IT, age of dyno etc etc.....

However with a loss of 6hp and a gain of 15lb ft im sure we can all agree that there as close as you can get...

Just to confirm Hayes dyno aswell.. at one of the last rolling road days there was an Evo 8 260 completly standard that ran a 259.6......

I believe i have eliminated the "dyno is worng" argument here...

#33 · (Edited)
Cosworth M2 Cams
Sard FPR
1000CC Rc injectors
2.0 long rod bottom end
custom intercooler piping
AMS intercooler
Walbro fuel pump
Exhaust manifold ported and gasket matched to hotside
Turbo elbowported
Blueflame 3" turbo back exhaust
K&N filter
VI-PEC ecu with 3-bar map sensor
Gizzmo MS-IBC boost controller
JUN double valve springs and titanium retainers
Fidanza vernier pullys
cosworth timing belt

#44 ·
I am inclined to believe. this is just ment to be a friendly conversation thread.

Hi John,

What 1/4 mile did you run with your current spec inc your 60ft time and Terminal speed?
This is a good indicator of what the car is producing.
The fastest time i put in with a full weight VIII with 320 atw's was a 12 second dead with a 1.7 second 60ft and Terminal of 118mph.
Car had a stock bottom end with HKS 264 cams and 071 IX turbo.
I ran a 12.1 with a terminal of 113mph and 1.7 60ft.

I dont think this is to much of an indicator as of yet as i had never been down a strip before and we all know my driving isnt the best.... maybe i should get T42 to take it down there for me :mhihi::mhihi:

no way

had a modified evo 8 mr turbo with 10.5 from evo400.even on race fuel,done 460/460 and ran 11.1 1/4 miles.totally maxed out and my driving on the strip worth a few tenths to get those times:lol::D
11.1 1/4 mile F-ing hell :eek:

#39 ·
Hi John,

What 1/4 mile did you run with your current spec inc your 60ft time and Terminal speed?
This is a good indicator of what the car is producing.
The fastest time i put in with a full weight VIII with 320 atw's was a 12 second dead with a 1.7 second 60ft and Terminal of 118mph.
Car had a stock bottom end with HKS 264 cams and 071 IX turbo.

#68 ·
i must be going to the wrong tuners:rolleyes: a.i. autos -who only build evo's for a living and know just about all there is to know about them.;)
as my spec atm is more or less the same as yours with a 9/80 series and the car only makes 400/400 @ 1.6 bar .
so if you want to toast the turbo you could up the boost to say 2 bar ( if its not blowing hot air by then) and maybe get that to 420/420 .
but 500 lb/ft ... i think not .
think theres been tyres let down/3rd gear runs etc etc involved with some of the "optimistic" figures here:wallbang:

btw my green was running a true 450/450 and the 9 80 series is def. a step down from that.
as said only way i'd ever believe any of the quoted figures is a print out from a drag strip with a full weight car - as the terminals usually tell the real story:thumbup:

#46 ·
John you are bonkers :smthumbup

I'll let you beat me if it means that much

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.