Front diffs - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 30-07-2020, 17:28   #1
Gaz2053
Senior User

Front diffs

Got two front and centre diffs
1x Cusco rs diff 1.5 way
2x ATS 1.5 way

Really my main question would be which one is best out of the two bearing in Mind will be doing track and hill sprints and weekend driving .

Iam looking to find how they pair up ie strength and how hard can they be used in racing not fussed about clunky noises ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gaz2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-2020, 19:37   #2
spn
Senior User

Car: EVO 6
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz2053 View Post
Got two front and centre diffs
1x Cusco rs diff 1.5 way
2x ATS 1.5 way

Really my main question would be which one is best out of the two bearing in Mind will be doing track and hill sprints and weekend driving .

Iam looking to find how they pair up ie strength and how hard can they be used in racing not fussed about clunky noises ect

I've not used the ATS but apparently they're more suited to gravel use. You might be able to play about with the plates in the centre diff to make it more suitable for tarmac but would be a lot of effort.

I use the Cusco and like it so that would be my choice.

Cheers,

Simon
spn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 05:21   #3
madmatt
Senior User

1.5 way at the front is too aggressive for tarmac.
madmatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 18:18   #4
ippe

https://www.coordsport.com/recommend...lip-diffs-lsd/
ippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 21:50   #5
Gaz2053
Senior User

So whatís the best set up for tarmac as iam getting really mixed views on here and other platforms and I not wanting to bother Clive W with. Trivia to be honest must be people on here that race on the form that could point me in the right direction

Old 04-08-2020, 04:51   #6
madmatt
Senior User

I don't have much 1st hand experience on this, but I've read a lot (because I also want to improve my front diff at some point). If I were to put an uprated front diff in my 6, I would put either a Quaife (plug and play), or a factory LSD (cheaper). You could fit wavetrack but they need some machining work to fit. I would prefer the wavetrack tbh but don't want to modify the casing. Read about differences between Wavetrack and Quaife if you're interested, they have different pros/cons.
madmatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 20:46   #7
spn
Senior User

My Car
I use my car for hill climbs and sprints, don't bother with a Quaife, no different to a standard torsen and they're not as good as a plated diff for competition use.

You'll need to check but most of the Cuscos come with a variety of settings so you can run 1.5 or 1 way. If yours doesn't then you can get the parts to change it from Coordsport.

1.5 way on the Cusco isn't usually that aggressive on power off (obviously need to check what yours is like) so will probably be OK on Tarmac.

I ran a Ralliart plated diff on the that was "1.5 way" and it was fine, a little bit of locking on power off is quite helpful. My Cusco is set up as a 1 way.

I would suggest checking the Cusco to see what options it has, configuring it how you think you'll want it and then adjusting it if it doesn't do what you want. There's various sources of setup information on the web

Alternatively, talk to Clive W who has a lot of experience with these diffs and will be able to service and set your diff up with the characteristics you want or that he thinks you'll need for what you want to do with it.

If you want a plug and play solution, go with Clive, if you want to have a go yourself, you just need to bite the bullet and get on with it.

Cheers,

Simon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spn For This Useful Post:
Gaz2053 (05-08-2020), madmatt (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:02   #8
Gaz2053
Senior User

Thatís the kind of information i was looking for cheers Simon. Think bottom line will be send it to Clive and have it set up to the requirements that I need out of the car .As I personally donít think iam equipped with the knowledge to tinker about with it .

The Following User Says Thank You to Gaz2053 For This Useful Post:
Realbadman (06-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 19:19   #9
spn
Senior User

My Car
Happy to help

I do all of the work myself so can't personally vouch for Clive but I've never seen anything but good posts about his work, so I think it' safe to assume he'll do a good job.

Cheers,

Simon
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: