C-TEC Product Update - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Marketplace > Trader Discussion

Old 18-07-2020, 23:29   #1
nigelS
Senior User

Car: Concours Evo VI RS
C-TEC Product Update

Firstly, a massive thanks to all of our customers and distributors for your support over the last 12 years. It really is appreciated, and here's to the next 12 years

Here's a bit of background, to explain why C-TEC Performance came about.

It wasn't until I started our development programme for Evo X early 2008, that C-TEC was inadvertently created. The longer standing members on here may remember the predominantly new Evo's I imported from Japan. I had and still have a real passion for the RS models, so it was only natural for me to focus on these cars. I imported my first new Evo back in 2004, Evo 8 at that time. I've been very fortunate to be able to help a good number of MLR members not only source cars, but subsequently maintain and tune them.

I was at the Tokyo motor show in 2007 to see the launch of Evo X, and to secure a supply of new Evo X RS. This resulted in my first cars to arrive here late 2007. UK dealers did not see Evo X for many months after this. The Evo X was a total departure from the previous models, no more 4G63 and a totally new 4B11T engine instead. The Evo X prompted a different approach. No established well proven aftermarket performance parts. Everyone was starting with a blank sheet.

We had a steep learning curve with the new car and this included quite a few disappointing days on the dyno. The main issue, a surprising amount of aftermarket parts just weren't delivering. So, the first C-TEC exhaust parts were produced. Our goal was a simple one, to produce a high quality 304 grade stainless, true 3" system, with the overriding emphasis on performance. 12 years on, and we still have that same goal.

What this means is a desire to continually evolve and improve our products. Over these past few months, we have been working through the relevant stages. Ideas progress to CAD, components such as flanges can then be laser cut to exact spec. Initial prototype parts are fabricated to test fit and in house back to back tests carried out. Revisions are worked through and a test part is made ready to dyno.

Development works are well underway with upgrades to most of the C-TEC exhaust range. Evo 4-6, Evo 7-9 & Evo X will see upgrades.

I will update this thread as we roll out the new components. Here are a few photos of the new generation C-TEC Evo 4-6 3" V band cat back system.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nigelS; 18-07-2020 at 23:30..
nigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nigelS For This Useful Post:
Cal-Mak (04-08-2020), Christopher (19-07-2020), dreMR (19-07-2020), Filipe Dias (19-07-2020), Goginawa (19-07-2020), peeler (01-08-2020), plip1953 (19-07-2020), squeakyclean32 (20-07-2020), SUSHILUVA (27-07-2020)
Old 18-07-2020, 23:45   #2
Mita
Senior User

What’s the improvements Nigel over the old system?
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (19-07-2020), Christopher (19-07-2020)
Old 19-07-2020, 23:24   #3
nigelS
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Whatís the improvements Nigel over the old system?
Steve, there are two major differences as follows:

We wanted to drop the weight. The new system is fabricated using 1.2mm 304 grade stainless steel, instead of the 1.5mm used for the previous system.

Twin 3" stainless V band connectors for the centre section to mid section, and mid section to rear silencer section. We have used V bands in our modular systems and turbo kits for some time now, and it just made so much sense to incorporate these in the new cat back systems. For anyone not familiar with V band, there are quite a few benefits with V band over 2 bolt flanges. Weight reduction for starters. Although it's not a huge weight saving, it all contributes. Ease of install and removal, these are so quick and easy to fit or remove. V band provides a smaller fitment envelope compared with a 2 bolts flange, which aids clearance. However, the main advantage with V band is the seal achieved. The V band design applies a uniform closing force to the mating flanges as the clamp is tightened. Leak free connections and no risk of a gasket failure as there is no gasket to fail.

Please note the system still utilises a 3" 2 bolt flange where the centre section bolts to the de-cat. Although we can produce a full 3" turbo back system with total V band connectivity, we understand not all customers will want to go this route. The use of the 2 bolts flange here means that anyone can fit the new C-TEC cat back to an existing 2 bolt flange de-cat. use with other exhaust brands, or upgrade a current C-TEC cat back system to this new V band system.

Other benefits are improved ground clearance due to revised routing, and a revised silencer design with better performing silencer material. We have seen our highest dyno power figures recently on a standard frame hybrid turbo when used in conjunction with our new generation C-TEC tubular manifold and new generation modular system. More on these other new components will follow

Please contact me direct for any custom requirements such as a full turbo back 3" system with total V band connectivity, custom work in Titanium and 3.5" systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nigelS For This Useful Post:
Mita (20-07-2020), Stug360 (20-07-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-2020, 23:27   #4
nigelS
Senior User

New 3" V band
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nigelS For This Useful Post:
Christopher (20-07-2020), dreMR (20-07-2020), Mita (20-07-2020)
Old 20-07-2020, 12:15   #5
dreMR
Senior User

Any pictures of the titanium version?
dreMR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreMR For This Useful Post:
Christopher (21-07-2020)
Old 20-07-2020, 12:50   #6
Mita
Senior User

Nice one Nigel, that’s great info mate. V band full system sounds very good. I was going to mention it looks like the car back is now taking more of a stock route.

Thanks for the info
Old 25-07-2020, 23:23   #7
nigelS
Senior User

C-TEC Ti V Band Cat Back System

Dre, here's a few photos of a custom 3.5" V band system we recently produced for a customer, big power Evo 9 MR RS
Attached Images

Last edited by nigelS; 25-07-2020 at 23:26..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nigelS For This Useful Post:
Christopher (26-07-2020), dreMR (26-07-2020), Mita (26-07-2020)
Old 25-07-2020, 23:34   #8
nigelS
Senior User

Quote:
Nice one Nigel, thatís great info mate. V band full system sounds very good. I was going to mention it looks like the car back is now taking more of a stock route.

Thanks for the info
Correct Steve, more of an OEM route past the rear diff and subframe. This avoids coming under the rear diff and therefore increases ground clearance and results in a better overall fit.

The Following User Says Thank You to nigelS For This Useful Post:
Mita (26-07-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 00:32   #9
nigelS
Senior User

C-TEC Evo 4-6 3" V Band System

New gen Evo 4-6 system fitted to a very special TME RS
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nigelS For This Useful Post:
Christopher (01-08-2020), dreMR (01-08-2020), Goginawa (01-08-2020), Mita (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 09:12   #10
Goginawa
Zero Fighter

Car: EVO IX FQ 320
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelS View Post
That looks absolutely amazing!

I remember having a chat with you Nigel many moons ago about set ups, that was in my early Evo ownership age. Subject we touched was hks Nur spec and itís noise level, sounds and precision in making.

Where about would you put Ctec exhausts noise levels? I know nur spec has many followers due to way it sounds but many race tracks wonít allow it just because of the noise levels. I absolutely loved oem super dragger on my old 9, perfect for around town, noisy enough and race track friendly

Thanks
Goginawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 15:25   #11
nigelS
Senior User

Goginawa, I'm assuming you mean the Blitz NUR Spec R. Great sounding exhaust, but as you say, unless you're at a track with 105dB you may struggle.

We offer silenced de-cat and resonated centre section options across the range, so we can cater for track use.

Our systems are true 3", so this is where the challenge is noise wise. We build first and foremost for performance, whereas the likes of HKS, Blitz etc reduce diameters through silencers to lower noise levels. We don't, no neck down to match OEM cat and no reduced internal diameter within silencers. We focus on producing effective silencers whilst retaining a 3" ID.

A smaller diameter tail pipe can also be specified, and this has a significant affect in terms of noise reduction. A 3" system technically only requires a 3" diameter tail pipe. A larger tail pipe doesn't do anything to aid performance, it's purely cosmetic. Go with a 3" tail pipe for example and you remove the megaphone effect of a larger diameter tail pipe.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nigelS For This Useful Post:
Goginawa (01-08-2020), Mita (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 20:10   #12
Dave-Cee
Climate Changer

Car: MAD forged 2.2 IX FQ 340 PLG Leccy Bloo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelS View Post
1.32 AM were you laid in bed when you posted those pics
Dave-Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:01   #13
Mita
Senior User

Looking good Nigel
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
nigelS (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 17:28   #14
Mita
Senior User

I think this system looks epic personally, Nigel has clearly done a huge amount of research and testing.

Really good to see
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Goginawa (01-08-2020), nigelS (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 17:50   #15
Goginawa
Zero Fighter

Car: EVO IX FQ 320
My Car
Quote:
I think this system looks epic personally, Nigel has clearly done a huge amount of research and testing.

Really good to see
I agree.
Goginawa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goginawa For This Useful Post:
Mita (01-08-2020), nigelS (01-08-2020)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: