Wheel spacers for Standard Evo 5 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 10-03-2019, 21:24   #1
roscobyron

Car: Mitsubishi Evo V
Wheel spacers for Standard Evo 5

looking for advice on some spacers for a my Evo 5. The car has the standard wheels on but it just needs some spacers to fill the arch a bit better.. Iím thinking of fitting 15mm? I donít want it to rub or look extreme and was wondering what people though of these:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F230679287902

Thanks for the help 👍
roscobyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-2019, 16:32   #2
JF
User

Car: Lancer Evolution V GSR
Hi,

I hope I can help.

A couple of weeks ago I fitted 15mm spacers on my V with 17" Enkei WRC Tarmac Evo. The car is lowered on Eibach springs and I had no rubbing and it sits perfectly. I wouldn't advice going anymore than 15mm as I can see that it's pretty close to the arches. I guess 20mm it's too much, at least at the height that my car is atm.

I bought a different brand of spacers so on that I can't give any advice.

I attach some pictures so you can see how it looks.
Attached Images

JF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 18:07   #3
Benjer182
Senior User

Following as in interested aboubtgat for my 6, when you want to 15mm did you need longer wheel studs ?
Benjer182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-2019, 19:46   #4
JF
User

In my case I bought spacers that bolt onto the hub, and for that there's no need to change anything. It's good to check after the first run if it needs retightening.

There's is the other option of getting just the spacer and longer studs, they are both valid, as long as you get good quality ones.

For the longer stud option count on a fair bit more of labour to fit them as you need to get the hub off.
Attached Images

Old 26-03-2019, 07:59   #5
madmatt
Senior User

Taking the hub off can be a f***** nightmare. My driveshaft was rust-welded inside the hub spline, I had to CUT the outter cv joint to get it off. What I thought was a simple job turned to be a nightmare. Just keep this in mind.

Otherwise on my 6 I fitted 15mm spacers with std wheels and it just sits fine. I wish I could use 20 or 25mm spacers to make it looking even better but for that you would have to do some work on the arches.
madmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 08:25   #6
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Although it was on a 9 rather than 5/6, I found it possible to fit longer studs in situ ie without splitting the bearings from the hubs. And that was using the super long ARP studs. But it was trickier at the rear where I actually cut a hole in the backplate of the handbrake assembly in order to feed the new bolts through. The other thing you can try is, in situ, to loosen off the 4 nuts that retain the bearings and hammer them (carefully) to partly extend the bearing outwards, which then gives more room to insert longer studs. I've seen this done first hand so know it works, although a lot will depend on the amount of corrosion between hub and bearing that may have built up over the years.
Old 26-03-2019, 09:12   #7
Arronevo8
Senior User

Car: Std vi imported january 12 mint and very nice in white
My Car
On my vi I run 20mm and ad08r 225/45-17 and wouldn't rub on o/e rims. If you run wider tyres that's when problems happen. I now run Rays ce28 with my tyres off my old rims as there very new and the rims are 8.5 and no spacers and no rubbing and its lowered on coilovers.
Arronevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 13:10   #8
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arronevo8 View Post
On my vi I run 20mm and ad08r 225/45-17 and wouldn't rub on o/e rims. If you run wider tyres that's when problems happen. I now run Rays ce28 with my tyres off my old rims as there very new and the rims are 8.5 and no spacers and no rubbing and its lowered on coilovers.
But what offset are the wheels?
Old 26-03-2019, 15:40   #9
evotim1
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF View Post
In my case I bought spacers that bolt onto the hub, and for that there's no need to change anything. It's good to check after the first run if it needs retightening.

There's is the other option of getting just the spacer and longer studs, they are both valid, as long as you get good quality ones.

For the longer stud option count on a fair bit more of labour to fit them as you need to get the hub off.
Your car looks nice with the spacers,looks just right.
I am after some for my car,i would like to go 20mm but they may rub so 15mm would be better however the one's i have seen in 15mm size require the hub to be removed to fit longer studs but yours fit straight onto hub,what make are these and are they a available in Uk ?
Old 26-03-2019, 18:50   #10
4g638

My Car
As basic guideline principle on the matter:

-On 5-X evo, stock ride height, stock rims, you can go up to 25mm spacers, without rubbing issues.

-On 5-X, stock rim/tyre combo, lowered on springs, you can go up to 20mm, without rubbing issues.

Anything other than the obove you should not go beyond 15mm.

Also if you go beyond 25mm spacer, things change towards the negative side of performance, so you will also need to employ other adjustable parts, (apart from a set of adjustable coilovers i.e) and correction kits to adjust/correct things for optimum desired outcome.

Marios

Last edited by 4g638; 26-03-2019 at 18:52.. Reason: typo
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 21:54   #11
JF
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotim1 View Post
Your car looks nice with the spacers,looks just right.
I am after some for my car,i would like to go 20mm but they may rub so 15mm would be better however the one's i have seen in 15mm size require the hub to be removed to fit longer studs but yours fit straight onto hub,what make are these and are they a available in Uk ?
I bought mine in Spain from a guy who had never used them, I don't know where he originally got them from.

The brand is tcsportline.

I'm sure I've seen other brands that do the 15mm bolt on.
Old 26-03-2019, 22:01   #12
CursedChris
User

Location: Somewhere in the north west, looking at things i can't buy yet.
Car: Silver Evo 5 GSR
My Car
With reference to the images above on the evo V.

The 15mm spacers are fitted both front and back? Also them wheels are stock sizes to the original wheels?

Cheers,

Chris
CursedChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 22:07   #13
Arronevo8
Senior User

Car: Std vi imported january 12 mint and very nice in white
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
But what offset are the wheels?
Offset 30 Rays for Mitsubishi evo
Arronevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arronevo8 For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (27-03-2019)
Old 27-03-2019, 07:30   #14
JF
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CursedChris View Post
With reference to the images above on the evo V.

The 15mm spacers are fitted both front and back? Also them wheels are stock sizes to the original wheels?

Cheers,

Chris
The spacers are fitted rear and front.

The tyres are 225 45 R17 on 8j Enkei WRC, which apart from the 8j (original was 7.5j) I think it was standard on the Evo V.
The Following User Says Thank You to JF For This Useful Post:
CursedChris (28-03-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: