Lancer Register Forum banner

Overheating conundrum

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Ads9 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

After a recent tarmac rally reconnaissance I had some overheating issues. The car has not overheated on the road, nor during shorter special stages nor track days. But a 30km alpine special stage which included a final run to summit on some pretty brutal gradients had the car losing fluid out through the overflow reservoir onto the road once parked up at the top.

I backed off when I saw 105c on the gauge, and it returned to 95ish quite quickly.

When I refilled the next day I added almost a litre.

45000km since build /2000km of competition
Manley rods
CP pistons
GSC S1 cams
ARP head studs and rod bolts
Cometic competition head gasket
ACL bearings
OEM turbo
Original radiator
Ralliart 1.3 bar rad cap

Comp test last week was 176, 178, 180, 180

Engine feels very healthy

thermo fan works correctly, kicking in at approx 93C

oil has no apparent murkiness or moisture in it

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
It points to your radiator not being up to the job for such a long stint at race pace. I assume your ambient temperature is quite high at this time of year. I would be fitting a radiator with more core area rather than risk overheating the engine.

Reactions: Ads9
#7 ·
MY experience:
I live 6km away from the sea and frequently drive in the mountain (back roads of the French Riviera Monte Carlo roads); for years I had this "problem'' when stopping for a break around 600 meter (or more) altitude the coolant reservoir of my VI TME was spitting back excess coolant on the ground; it does not change with the ambient temperature but obviously with the atmospheric pressure. For years I was filling back the reservoir (as per MMC recommendation)and now like my neighbors I just look at the radiator level: one cm below the filling cap opening is OK.
I record my coolant temperature and has never seen outstanding temperature even with 30°C on track or on hill climb after standing start in scorching summer; with the original radiator it is the same , I have changed to an aluminium radiator just for the look ! Running between 1,4 to 1,8 bar boost with 450-500 hp . Large oil cooler also: max temp : 108 °C.
...and yes I have also a 1,3 bar radiator cap.

If your coolant temp reach 105 °C is it when you are stopped ?

I hope that you continue to enjoy driving your Evo !

#9 ·
for years I had this "problem'' when stopping for a break around 600 meter (or more) altitude the coolant reservoir of my VI TME was spitting back excess coolant on the ground; it does not change with the ambient temperature but obviously with the atmospheric pressure.
If this was with a 1.3 bar cap i'm not surprised. It is one common thing with them the other is splitting the top tank.
I have been warning people about this for years.
How I found out was in 2009 when I got my TME and the very first thing I did was take it to Ralliart in Kawasaki and the second I lifted the bonnet they pointed at the 1.3 bar Ralliart radiator cap and said get rid of that now because they were a mistake and will cause problems..

Changing to an aftermarket aluminium radiator can change what cap you use.

#8 ·
Similar problem on a track day, lost the coolant through the overflow. Compression test ok, leak down test ok, driving generally ok. The only tell tale sign was a slight discolouration on one of the plugs. Turned out to be the head gasket. Just letting you know what happened to me. Hope it’s not, just sharing information.

#10 ·
What’s the issue with the higher pressure rad cap? As I understand it increasing the pressure increases the boiling point. If the coolant is getting that hot you’ve got other issues but at least you’re coolant isn’t physically boiling. Genuinely interested, everyday is a school day :smthumbup

OP, what thermostat are you running, standard or low temp? It may be an idea to run a lower temp item given your cars application- in addition to the other suggestions of a bigger/ more efficient rad and larger (or secondary) oil cooler. A sniff test of the coolant should show if the head gasket has popped, read a really interesting article about monitoring coolant pressure as spikes can indicate issues before they become catastrophic (may have been directly in relation to the head gasket- will try to dig out a link on it if you want).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.