Lancer Register Forum banner

Amazing New Norris Design Demo Car

191K views 323 replies 139 participants last post by  Raj_UK 
#1 ·
The MLR were recently invited to Norris Designs for an exclusive preview of their new demo car. There will be a full write up including an in-depth interview with Simon Norris in the next edition of Wastegate Chatter out on 1st October, but here's a brief rundown of the car and some pictures as the final build nears completion.

Exactly what the new Norris Designs demo car is has been the subject of much speculation and Simon's kept it a closely guarded secret whilst creating what is the most unique Evo ever seen.

Believing that the only way Evo performance can take a big step forward is with drastic weight loss, Norris Designs have built an Evo that should weigh in at just 1080kg. With a power to weight ratio of nearly 800bhp per ton it's almost 300bhp per ton more powerful than the old Norris Design Evo 7 demo car!!

To build an Evo this light has meant the car has undergone some major weight loss and incredible engineering, including a substantial amount of the bodyshell being removed to make the car shorter and lower. In fact it is 10inches shorter and 3inches lower than a standard Evo 9 shell. With the shell customised this much, the rear doors have been removed creating the world's first Short Wheelbase 2-Door Evo....

ND Evo 9 SWB - Basic Spec List:

Power
841Hp & 635LbFt (Klotz 118 Race Fuel)
Target weight 1080Kg (Dry)
Target top speed: 215 Mph+
Target ¼ mile: Sub 9 seconds

Engine, Gearbox, ECU & Brakes
ND 2.3 litre stoker
Garrett GT42R roller bearing turbo
ND 4" WRC style custom exhaust system with side exit
Motec M800 Pro ECU
Holinger dog engagement straight cut gearkit
Ikeya sequential shifter with digital gear indicator
Brembo 8 pot metal matrix calipers front & rear

Body
Acid dipped custom 2 door short wheelbase low roof Evolution 9 shell
Custom T45 full weld in load bearing roll cage
Custom air jack tyre changing system

Interior/Exterior
Carbon everywhere!

See less See more
#54 ·
Phone Call

Ring Ring

ND "Hello Norris Design!" :D
Moses "Hullo "Jimmy", its Mo From Glasgow here!" :)
ND "My names not Jimmy! Let me guess another change of Turbo, Moses?" :confused:
Moses "No, can you take two doors off the 4 please?"
ND "Eh........" :confused:
Moses Oh and change the Turbo.......and paint it.........hullo?"

Click..........Brrrrrrrrr

Moses "Hullo.......................Jimmy....................are you there?"

#55 ·
Re: Phone Call

vampy said:
Ring Ring

ND "Hello Norris Design!" :D
Moses "Hullo "Jimmy", its Mo From Glasgow here!" :)
ND "My names not Jimmy! Let me guess another change of Turbo, Moses?" :confused:
Moses "No, can you take two doors off the 4 please?"
ND "Eh........" :confused:
Moses Oh and change the Turbo.......and paint it.........hullo?"

Click..........Brrrrrrrrr

Moses "Hullo.......................Jimmy....................are you there?"
:crackup: on my God i swear to God vampy, when i phoned simons mobile this morn thats what i asked him after congratulating him i asked him how much it would cost to covert my car to a shortwheel base and shell and 2 doors :D

when i found out how much it cost him i said **** it, i wont bother, i cant afford it

u know me well bros :D :crackup: no bull ask simon thats what i asked him :lol:

#61 ·
If this is ND's new demo car, as with other tuning Co's demo cars is it an example of what ND can do to that particular car ?
Then apply it to a customers car.
I can't see shortening customers cars going down to well.
Unless you are a lotto winner !

Nice looking kit car though.

IMO, not a true evo. Maybe if Mitsubishi made one first for WRC or alike.

At lease most other tuners use the stock car as a base and then show their skill and no how on that car ( demo ) to advertise what they can do to YOUR car.

Not modifications that would have you down the local testing station for an engineers report and a Q plate.

Car looks awsome Simon £££ ???
:)

#63 ·
GTIR250 said:
If this is ND's new demo car, as with other tuning Co's demo cars is it an example of what ND can do to that particular car ?
Unless you are a lotto winner !

Nice looking kit car though.

At lease most other tuners use the stock car as a base and then show their skill and no how on that car ( demo ) to advertise what they can do to YOUR car.

Not modifications that would have you down the local testing station for an engineers report and a Q plate.

But this was a stock car to begin with, so it is possible for ND to do this to any car, so it is an advert for what he can do. Take the cost element out of it, couse someone may want this done to their car whatever the cost, and with his other previous demo cars he has shown what he can do with left alone chassis/body cars. This is the next step

Alan

#64 ·
GTIR250 said:

I think Simon has adequately demostrated what ND can do with a standard shell car - namely timmy's car at the 30-130 test. And that was on a CR synchro box, not a dogbox :coolsm:

No methanol either............. :D

#65 ·
GTIR250 said:
don't see why not...
the concept is nothing particularly new
e.g. Dialynx have been doing similar to Quattros for some time....
& 'good' custom-car / hot-rod developers are able to do this type of conversion on 'almost' anything

having said that...worlds first for an Evo
:smthumbup

#66 ·
I think the limit of Evo engine tuning has been hit for some time now in terms of outright power. There's not too many options left if you want to make an Evo with an already huge bhp engine much quicker. This is one. It's equivalent to adding almost 200bhp to the engine, plus it will add to the car's on-track performance (car is also wider than a standard Evo).

Modifying the shell is just the same as any other modification IMO.

I don't think cars like this are created so the same conversion can be sold to other customers. It's more for marketing and exposure reasons.

#67 ·
GTIR250 said:

well maybe u dont follow evos mate :D simon already done that with his puny 650 bhp set the records and embarrased bigger powered cars with his old evo 7 and also lest u forget timmys car which beat rc's evo with a standard gearbox and least power

:D

well said alan :coolsm: and yes gtir250 its still an evo just shortened :D

#69 ·
Evo Too said:
I think Simon has adequately demostrated what ND can do with a standard shell car - namely timmy's car at the 30-130 test. And that was on a CR synchro box, not a dogbox :coolsm:

No methanol either............. :D
lol well said mate :D timmys car kicked r without methanol and a massive turbo and not just that the quickest is still simons old evo 7 with alot less power still managed a 10.34 pure class and still set the fastest time 0 to 60 0 to 120 and accelaration time

#70 ·
WOW :coolsm:

However, Simon, please stop moving the goal-posts, you'll upset the Skyline boys :crackup: :moon: .

Also, please tell me that the name of the the MLR's newsletter is a pish-take at all the chavs that believe there is such thing as "Wastegate Chatter" or is it a serious misaprehension? :eek: :p ;)

#71 ·
Moses, let's try and not turn this into an RC vs. ND thread. Both have built awesome demo cars in the past with quite different tuning philosophies which has made it very interesting.

This thread's about the new ND car and I'm sure Clive already has plans for the next RC demo which I'm sure we're all keen to hear about as soon as possible.

#72 ·
DaveG said:
Moses, let's try and not turn this into an RC vs. ND thread. Both have built awesome demo cars in the past with quite different tuning philosophies which has made it very interesting.

This thread's about the new ND car and I'm sure Clive already has plans for the next RC demo which I'm sure we're all keen to hear about as soon as possible.
it wasnt me dave, gtir250 started it in a snidey way

but no worries i will chill :) cheers

#74 ·
evo400 said:
can anyone answer why no british evo has broke the 9s barrier .??? US boys have done it with ease . lovely piece of work but still the challenge is for a stock car to go under 10 seconds . nice little green eyed monster tho !!
same can be said of any car in the uk including skylines and supra's with less power they get faster times in the usa and australia , has to be the proper drag strips their , so grippy u can lose your sandals so manuel go told me :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.