Evo 6 tme lhd – work log - Page 13 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 09-09-2020, 12:28   #181
madmatt
Senior User

Thanks!

I've put the 2nd and last protective coat today, now 2-3 weeks to wait, and I can begin putting everything back together. There will be a bit of a delay because I still have to paint lots of parts and I'm waiting for some bushes, but everything is on course to have the car back on its wheels end of October.
madmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-10-2020, 06:37   #182
madmatt
Senior User

Things turned to ****. So many set backs that I won't be able to go to the Monte-Carlo Rally in 2021, celebrating the car's 20th birthday. Thought it was nice, but won't happening. Here is the list of what went wrong

1) Got delivered wrong paint viscosity cup resulting in having to thin the paint too much. Future will tell, but I'm ready to have to start the chassis restoration all over again next year.

2) In the process of bringing the car back to bare metal, I cut few wires of the chassis loom by accident. Nothing major, but had to repair about 10 wires, which makes me uncomfortable but don't want to replace whole chassis loom because of this.

3) Had to wait 2 months for a bush, which delayed me putting things back together.

4) Upon removal of "old" (which were fine but I thought while I'm at it just change everything. Worst idea ever) bush in the Y arm, saw it had cracked at the usual place. Bought a second hand item, fitted new bush, fine.

5) Upon fitting new bush to the non-cracked Y arm on the other side, it cracked! So not I have to find this arm too.

6) The front suspension arm ball joints I bought won't fit the arm, so not only it damaged them a bit, now I have to either fit the old ones (which again were perfectly fine, I just thought I would change them so I'm at peace for next 10 years) or buy new arms.

7) The paint on those suspension parts didn't held well when using the press to fit the bushes, so I will have to re-paint them. Thought about powder coating few months ago, but wanted to do things myself. Worst idea.

These are just the few of the "niggles" that I encountered these past few weeks. I've maybe tried to rush things a bit, now realistically that Monte-Carlo Rally goal won't happen for me. I am sure I could just work all evenings in the cold of the small garage I rent, but there is no fun in that. I will see how things go, who knows, but after 5) happened this morning, I'm just fed up of the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmatt For This Useful Post:
Pushpex (21-10-2020)
Old 21-10-2020, 10:48   #183
Pushpex
User

My Car
Don't worry about it, with these projects it's easy to get down about things, and it's frustrating when you give yourself time scales, you just need to do things at a pace that you enjoy. I'm sure you'll still be done before Mita

I ended up rushing things because I wanted to get it out the garage so I can move, and I was fed up with the stripping step, getting covered in s**t gets boring quick, so hopefully it won't get too corroded over the winter so I can start again next summer.

With the cracked arms, I had 4 arms and all but 1 were cracked! I believe the load on those arms is always going to be in towards the car so it's not too important, but for peace of mind you can save some money by getting it welded instead of buying a new one, and it will be stronger than the original join

You've got a beautiful car which is only going up in value and you've done some excellent work on it, you should feel proud
Pushpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-10-2020, 11:31   #184
Mita
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushpex View Post
I'm sure you'll still be done before Mita
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Dave-Cee (21-10-2020), Pushpex (21-10-2020)
Old 21-10-2020, 16:33   #185
madmatt
Senior User

Quote:
Don't worry about it, with these projects it's easy to get down about things, and it's frustrating when you give yourself time scales, you just need to do things at a pace that you enjoy. I'm sure you'll still be done before Mita

I ended up rushing things because I wanted to get it out the garage so I can move, and I was fed up with the stripping step, getting covered in s**t gets boring quick, so hopefully it won't get too corroded over the winter so I can start again next summer.

With the cracked arms, I had 4 arms and all but 1 were cracked! I believe the load on those arms is always going to be in towards the car so it's not too important, but for peace of mind you can save some money by getting it welded instead of buying a new one, and it will be stronger than the original join

You've got a beautiful car which is only going up in value and you've done some excellent work on it, you should feel proud
Wow, thank you for the motivational message, got it loud and clear! Good to read.

I am not a perfectionist, but I like to do good work, I am always ready to do what it takes, so when things don't turn out as expected, its frustrating, especially compared to some restoration projects on this forum where the quality of the work is just mega. Mine will be good enough so the car survives winters (like yours I hope), and not too much so I am not scared to drive it around!

To be continued!

P.S: Had to laugh at your comment on Mita
Mita (21-10-2020)
Old 21-10-2020, 16:42   #186
Pushpex
User

My Car
We're all just jealous of the (ever increasing) spec of his build I can't wait to buy his EFR 7670 when he changes to an EFR 9280 next week
Pushpex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pushpex For This Useful Post:
Mita (21-10-2020)
Old 21-10-2020, 16:47   #187
madmatt
Senior User

Quote:
We're all just jealous of the (ever increasing) spec of his build I can't wait to buy his EFR 7670 when he changes to an EFR 9280 next week
Mita (21-10-2020)
Old 21-11-2020, 18:28   #188
madmatt
Senior User

To make things worse, I broke a finger early this week, so not much happening right now. However, could anyone let me know the mitsubishi part number of these clips please? Hard to know which one it is on the epc database:

Cheers
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: