Evo 6 tme lhd work log - Page 11 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 14-07-2020, 18:06   #151
madmatt
Senior User

Well, no pictures yet, but things are moving. Not fast enough, but moving. Still in the process of removing the paint to get to bare metal. 50% of the surfaces are easy to work on, but the rest is a pain. I've gone through 300 worth of 3M brushes, and not finished.

In hindsight I would have made better choices in brushes, since each works best in X or Y situation.

I have done about 65% of the whole car, but the remaining 35% is the hardest. I will post pictures once its finished and also because the ones I took don't make it justice. Hard to get on camera shiny metal!
madmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-07-2020, 22:35   #152
willox
Senior User

My Car
Feel the pain guys,its some task with hand power tools and wire wheels.
Rust/paint removal pads were really good on flat surfaces.My arms were broke for months after doing my Evo.Clean it all back and 95% is mint under it all.Nice project,I did enjoy doing my car.
willox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 06:06   #153
madmatt
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willox View Post
Feel the pain guys,its some task with hand power tools and wire wheels.
Rust/paint removal pads were really good on flat surfaces.My arms were broke for months after doing my Evo.Clean it all back and 95% is mint under it all.Nice project,I did enjoy doing my car.
Yea its quite hard. Un-even surfaces are a pain. Here is a few of the axial and radial brushes I use (there is more we cannot see):

I quite enjoy it, I mean there was no underseal like a lot of UK evos, and underneath factory paint or stone chip there is no rust, so honestly I cannot complain, but the rate at which the brushes wear is annoying (I can see money just going away with the brush dust haha).

The Following User Says Thank You to madmatt For This Useful Post:
willox (16-07-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-07-2020, 19:56   #154
madmatt
Senior User

Decided to use the boroscope today in one of the rear chassis rails. Eventho they look mint from the outside, I was curious. And sure enough there is a bit of surface rust in places. Just looked at one for now:

Now my initial idea was to use a rust converter (Fertan) and then cavity wax. But the more I read about it, the less I want to use a rust converter. The idea against is that it will convert the top surface, but the metal will continue to rust underneath.

What would be a good way to stop the surface rust that has formed there?
Old 06-08-2020, 06:15   #155
madmatt
Senior User

After a bit of delay (partially due to the hot weather), I was finally able to apply the 1st coat. Below are pictures of the chassis prior to the coat:

There was no welding required or metal work needed

I will post pictures of the first coat later this week. Second coat will be applied on Monday!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madmatt For This Useful Post:
babou88 (06-08-2020), Filipe Dias (20-08-2020), Mita (12-08-2020), Pushpex (12-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 07:28   #156
babou88
Senior User

Car: TME RS
My Car
wow impressive work...

think I need to do the same , but I dont' have the feel up to it...
babou88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 14:18   #157
madmatt
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babou88 View Post
wow impressive work...

think I need to do the same , but I dont' have the feel up to it...
Yea there is no shortcut if you want to do this right. Takes time and money. I've spent a lot of money on brushes and other tools alone.
Old 12-08-2020, 17:16   #158
Pushpex
User

My Car
Great work! On the rear chassis rails is there a bit of rust bursting through the outer skin around the toe arm mount? It's a pain that the rust forms between the skins, I guess moisture gets trapped in there but there's not way of protecting it without cutting off the outer skin!

Pushpex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pushpex For This Useful Post:
Filipe Dias (20-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 18:01   #159
Mita
Senior User

Great work Matt
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
madmatt (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 19:40   #160
madmatt
Senior User

In few places there is indeed what appears to be rust between the skins, but its hard to see/feel, so really I've tried to remove as much as I could from the outside and the primer/paint/anti-rust product I've used should keep it there (if there is even any, again not fully sure).

I've put the first coat (black last week), then second coat (white Monday), now have to wait until next Monday for seam seal. I've ordered the wrong one so I have to wait for the new one to come, will delay the work few days. After that 2 coats of red protection and it should be done! As well as cavity wax to finish.

Found a company in the UK to do the nickel plating of the nuts and bolts so that's covered. I've ordered full set of Ralliart bushes, hardrace ball joints, and will paint the suspension arms, subframe, so things should look fairly good under here once finished. Not up to the same level as some of the guys here, but to be will be enough
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madmatt For This Useful Post:
babou88 (13-08-2020), Filipe Dias (20-08-2020), Mita (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 19:46   #161
Mita
Senior User

Great result, I bet you’re happy with it. Now is the horrible part! Putting stuff back on without scratching the new paint
Old 12-08-2020, 19:53   #162
madmatt
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Great result, I bet youre happy with it. Now is the horrible part! Putting stuff back on without scratching the new paint
Thanks Steve! Yes, 2 more coats and it will be done! I am not too afraid of scratching, being a car mechanic I would say I am quite handy and again, as the car will be used in winter, I won't be too fussed if I make a scratch
The Following User Says Thank You to madmatt For This Useful Post:
Mita (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 21:13   #163
Mita
Senior User

Good man , too work
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
madmatt (13-08-2020)
Old 13-08-2020, 09:49   #164
Pushpex
User

My Car
Looks brilliant! I bet you can't wait to drive it again
Pushpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 11:17   #165
madmatt
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushpex View Post
Looks brilliant! I bet you can't wait to drive it again
To be honest I've driven the car about 3000km these past 4 years so I can wait to drive it again, but one thing I'm looking for is to drive it on snow this winter, that's for sure!
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: