Evo X Mum to be :) - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
 
 

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Newbie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 17:56   #16
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Posts: 21,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devdev View Post
Hello everyone!

My name is Diana, I live in North-West of England. I am planning to buy some decent evo X within next couple of months and at the time being I am doing some research that will help me out to find me the top notch example.

Please forgive me the lack of knowledge as I am just entering the world of sport cars.

My question over to you is if do you know anyone living in my area who might assist me when I will be buying one? Eventually do you know a garage where I can go to check evo beforehand?
Where abouts in the North - West are you? As above, I would recommend [email protected] in Congleton too, for all servicing and repairs, as well as checking out any potential new cars. He may even know of good ones worth considering

I have a X SST 300, modded to 380. I wasnt a fan of the sst at first, for a while I considered changing for a manual, but now 3 or 4 years later ive still got the same sst and have no plans to change, the sst grew on me far more than I expected

Drive both before you make any decisions

Stu
__________________
CPP Motor Developments - CPP MLR page - CPP Facebook
RG Motorsport - www.rgmotorsport.co.uk

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 26-06-2020, 18:16   #17
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Aidy seems to view SST gearboxes through rose tinted spectacles!
That's certainly one possibility. However do you accept that another possibility is that because you have had problems with SST in the past that you just view them in a light that is more negative than usual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
They are highly prone to problems
No they're not. SST problems come up no more than non-SST problems, both of which are thankfully rare. Do you think Mitsubishi are going to sell and warranty a car with a £7k gearbox that is "highly prone to problems"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
And regardless of what Aidy says, an SST is as much an automatic as any other automatic
Again, no. Different people have different definitions of what makes a transmission "automatic" but regardless of your definition the only way SST can be compared to an AT is that there is no clutch pedal, it doesn't meet any other definition of AT.

The reason I'm keen to ensure people don't consider the SST an "automatic" is because when people think automatic they think of the car doing the gearing for them, using planetary gear systems, torque converters etc, so it's important to note that the SST is still a "proper" gearbox, just with electronically-controlled clutches. It has 7 proper gears of which you are in full control of.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 19:43   #18
Stallion
Moderatorô
 
Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North West Riviera.....
Car: (s)...Yes, have a few in my collection ;-)
My Car
Posts: 27,519
Where abouts are you within the NW

[email protected] is the only place I would take my Evos too

I would also go for a manual Evo X and try Paceward for insurance
__________________
image host
Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stallion For This Useful Post:
Realbadman (28-06-2020)
Old 27-06-2020, 09:33   #19
plip1953
Phil
 
plip1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Posts: 10,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
That's certainly one possibility. However do you accept that another possibility is that because you have had problems with SST in the past that you just view them in a light that is more negative than usual?

No they're not. SST problems come up no more than non-SST problems, both of which are thankfully rare. Do you think Mitsubishi are going to sell and warranty a car with a £7k gearbox that is "highly prone to problems"?
My experience with SSTs has covered quite a wide spectrum, but the point that I find quite difficult to get across is that (in my experience) there have been both subtle as well as more glaring differences in the way the transmissions worked between all four of the SSTs that I've owned. Subtle differences include stuff like behaviour when queuing and stop/start in heavy traffic conditions. Two of my cars weren't happy to creep, and one of those much preferred to have second gear selected wherever possible. Cold start first gearchange from 1st to 2nd presented another subtlety. I've read others say they always get a relatively harsh first change, and probably think it's normal, but it's not how it should be and can be. Slightly different shifting on odd and even gears is another example. And far less subtle, but quite widely reported, is slurred gearshifts when pushing on in Normal.

My first SST was pretty good, but I bought a second not that long after that was dreadful (but I knew that before I bought it). That one had to have a £1,200 clutchpack change, but it performed brilliantly after that including big trouble-free miles done by the subsequent owner. Then I swapped my first one for a 330 and is was also pretty good, but subtly different to my first one. That got sold when I bought my last SST which provided both my worst and far and away my best SST experience. It began pretty well, but I wasn't entirely happy with what I felt was a bit of clutch slippage with the odd gears. So I decided to have new, uprated Dodson clutchpacks and an add-on oil heater/cooler. Initially all seemed good (having cost around £4k!!), but catastrophe struck soon after and one of the clutchpacks massively overheated and warped making the entire gearbox inoperable. Working out why and how was a lengthy process, and was never fully understood, but eventually it was all sorted.

It was at this point I fully realised just how good an SST could be. Quite honestly I could not fault it in any way shape or form. You name it, it did it, and exactly as I could ever wish for - every gearshift smooth and crisp, no slippage in any mode, traffic creep perfectly behaved, never a jerky first change from cold etc etc. Maybe the uprated clutchpacks played a part in this, but I don't honestly think so.

I continued driving car for a few more months and it never missed a beat or showed any signs of changing its behaviour. But I was by now retired and driving a fair bit less and had other cars more suited to shopping trips, so decided to sell it.

Following that I believe the new owner had a good experience with it for around 6 months, but then I heard that it had some kind of quite major transmission issue, but nothing after.

So there you have it - a very mixed bag of experience and some very big bills to go with it.
__________________
Phil
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 12:42   #20
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
My experience ...
Thanks for the life story but you didn't answer my question. My experience is just as valid as yours, the difference being I'm not trying to invalidate yours like you are mine, and mine is far more typical. It's human nature that people only speak up when there are problems so the audible voice can often be negative. However do you see people posting questions about their SST or asking what might be wrong? No, hardly ever. Because most people's experiences are like mine. Maybe you were just unlucky, maybe you bought from owners who didn't maintain their cars or who have no mechanical sympathy, maybe they left it in "normal" the whole time. We'll never know, but the fact that you had issues with yours doesn't make that the norm, it doesn't mean the box is "highly prone" to issues.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 13:50   #21
Devdev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
Where abouts in the North - West are you? As above, I would recommend [email protected] in Congleton too, for all servicing and repairs, as well as checking out any potential new cars. He may even know of good ones worth considering

I have a X SST 300, modded to 380. I wasnt a fan of the sst at first, for a while I considered changing for a manual, but now 3 or 4 years later ive still got the same sst and have no plans to change, the sst grew on me far more than I expected

Drive both before you make any decisions

Stu
I live in Saint Helens and this garage is roughly 20 miles from there. Thank you for this great advice and will defo try both versions before buying!
Devdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 19:13   #22
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Posts: 21,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devdev View Post
I live in Saint Helens and this garage is roughly 20 miles from there. Thank you for this great advice and will defo try both versions before buying!
Not far from me, Ormskirk, will keep my eyes open for a new 10 in the area. [email protected] is definitely your man then

Stu

Name:  IMG_20180726_141412-800x600.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  100.8 KB
__________________
CPP Motor Developments - CPP MLR page - CPP Facebook
RG Motorsport - www.rgmotorsport.co.uk

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale

Last edited by stu8; 27-06-2020 at 19:16..
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 20:19   #23
Devdev
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
Not far from me, Ormskirk, will keep my eyes open for a new 10 in the area. [email protected] is definitely your man then

Stu

Attachment 336459
Baby boy I have checked CPP Motor Developments page on Facebook already!
Devdev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devdev For This Useful Post:
Stallion (28-06-2020), stu8 (27-06-2020)
Old 28-06-2020, 07:56   #24
plip1953
Phil
 
plip1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Posts: 10,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Thanks for the life story but you didn't answer my question. My experience is just as valid as yours, the difference being I'm not trying to invalidate yours like you are mine, and mine is far more typical. It's human nature that people only speak up when there are problems so the audible voice can often be negative. However do you see people posting questions about their SST or asking what might be wrong? No, hardly ever. Because most people's experiences are like mine. Maybe you were just unlucky, maybe you bought from owners who didn't maintain their cars or who have no mechanical sympathy, maybe they left it in "normal" the whole time. We'll never know, but the fact that you had issues with yours doesn't make that the norm, it doesn't mean the box is "highly prone" to issues.
Of course your experience is valid, but it's clearly also very limited and not typical. If you were being entirely honest I'd bet good money that your car has at least some of the issues I've described, but you either think they are somehow normal or simply aren't bothered they exist.

What's the mileage on your car? Are both the engine and gearbox ecus unmolested or modified? How many gearbox oil/filter changes have been done and at what intervals? Still the original clutchpacks? Does it have the common rattle noise? Any clutchslip in any mode at any time? How does it perform reversing up a slope? Does it creep from stationary on the flat? Will it hold or slip back on a modest hill? What mode is it happiest being driven in? Do you ever experience clutchslip? Do you experience a jerky first gear change from cold? Have you replaced the oil cooler? Have you ever had the gearbox overheat light come on?

Your or anyone else's answers to these questions will tell me a lot about a particular car. And if you look carefully enough you will see threads here on the MLR that cover all of these points in some way shape or form.

SST boxes are great in so many ways, but working on them is not for the feint hearted. Even taking a box out of the car is around a 3 hour job (and similar to put back in), and it weighs half as much again as a manual box. Moreover, my understanding is that very few main dealers would even consider working on the internals of these boxes so if a significant fault occurs they will look to replace the complete unit. And of the regular independent Evo tuners, you need to be very careful where you go as few are properly competent working on SST stuff.
__________________
Phil
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 15:00   #25
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Of course your experience is valid, but it's clearly also very limited and not typical.
I just looked at the gearbox section of the forum and had to go to page 3 to find a year old thread about SST rattling on idle. There was another thread about someone who had issues after driving for a mile on a flat tyre (weird). So in 4 pages of threads spanning a year of time one person asked about a rattling SST. I'd say my experience is far more typical than yours. If we're being honest
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 16:14   #26
plip1953
Phil
 
plip1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Posts: 10,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
I just looked at the gearbox section of the forum and had to go to page 3 to find a year old thread about SST rattling on idle. There was another thread about someone who had issues after driving for a mile on a flat tyre (weird). So in 4 pages of threads spanning a year of time one person asked about a rattling SST. I'd say my experience is far more typical than yours. If we're being honest
Very little by way of technical stuff ever gets posted these days. And in any case, prior to a year of more ago the "rattle" issue had discussed multiple times so anyone new to it could easily have searched for and found the answer.

So I take it you are admitting yours has "the rattle"
__________________
Phil
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 16:53   #27
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Very little by way of technical stuff ever gets posted these days.
There were 4 pages of questions about manual boxes, AYC, ACD etc so that's not true at all. We all know how problematic AYC is so it's not surprising there are loads of threads about it, if SST was also highly prone to problems why was there only one thread about it in a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
And in any case, prior to a year of more ago the "rattle" issue had discussed multiple times so anyone new to it could easily have searched for and found the answer.
I just searched for "rattle" in the gearbox section at that thread was the only one related to SST in the last five years, the rest were about rattling clutches etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
So I take it you are admitting yours has "the rattle"
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from what I wrote.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 17:30   #28
plip1953
Phil
 
plip1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Posts: 10,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
There were 4 pages of questions about manual boxes, AYC, ACD etc so that's not true at all. We all know how problematic AYC is so it's not surprising there are loads of threads about it, if SST was also highly prone to problems why was there only one thread about it in a year?

I just searched for "rattle" in the gearbox section at that thread was the only one related to SST in the last five years, the rest were about rattling clutches etc.
Maybe you need reminding that the SST relates only to Xs whereas manual boxs, and questions relating thereto, applies to all models. And AYC has been around for a fair old time too, as well as ACD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from what I wrote.
It was just a guess, but I'm pretty sure I'm right lol

While you were in "search mode", did you happen to look for the number of X manual box diff pin threads. It was you that suggested they are a known problem on manual Xs, but I couldn't any thread in the past year that mentions them.....
__________________
Phil

Last edited by plip1953; 28-06-2020 at 17:37..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 17:39   #29
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
And AYC has been around for a fair old time too, as well as ACD.
It's been around since the X came out, we all know how cr*p it is and prone to fail and there are understandably loads of threads about it. According to you SST is also highly prone to issues yet there are almost no threads about it at all. Your argument doesn't seem to hold much water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
It was just a guess, but I'm pretty sure I'm right lol
You believe lots of things without evidence, so you can believe what you want here too.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:03   #30
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Could you elaborate?
Didn't think so.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 14:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.