Best tyres for Evo X - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Tyres / Wheels

Old 16-01-2014, 14:52   #1
Jord226

Best tyres for Evo X

Just wondering what tyres you guys recommend for Evo X's? Mine will need to be changed in a few months for so. So what i need are tyres that offer good grip in the dry and wet with stiff sidewalls and that last for a while as i do about 10,000 miles a year. Looking forward to your replies
Jord226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-01-2014, 14:59   #2
Capt.Mike

Car: BMW M4
My Car
The old 'whats the best tyre' question? You'll have a load of different answers. You need to decide what it is you want from the tyre exactly. The main thing is what is your budget? If it's unlimited, then you need to look then at how long the tyres need to last. Because if you want 10k miles out of a set on an evo, then dont get a semi slick or R1R etc as they'll prob last less than 5k miles.

If you're on a budget and dont drive it hard, try something like a Falken 453, perfectly good tyre if you're not into high speed cornering and not really pushing the car to its full potential.

There are loads of threads on tyre choices. They pretty much apply to all evo models. As I said, its all down to usage and budget.

Check out the offer for MLR members right now on Yokohama tyres. Advan sport in X fitment for whatever your wheels are. Very similar tread pattern to the Falken 453 I think.
Personally, I wouldnt use the AD08's but only because a number of people tell me they dont inspire confidence in the wet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Capt.Mike; 16-01-2014 at 15:03..
Capt.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 15:28   #3
Jord226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Mike View Post
The old 'whats the best tyre' question? You'll have a load of different answers. You need to decide what it is you want from the tyre exactly. The main thing is what is your budget? If it's unlimited, then you need to look then at how long the tyres need to last. Because if you want 10k miles out of a set on an evo, then dont get a semi slick or R1R etc as they'll prob last less than 5k miles.

If you're on a budget and dont drive it hard, try something like a Falken 453, perfectly good tyre if you're not into high speed cornering and not really pushing the car to its full potential.

There are loads of threads on tyre choices. They pretty much apply to all evo models. As I said, its all down to usage and budget.

Check out the offer for MLR members right now on Yokohama tyres. Advan sport in X fitment for whatever your wheels are. Very similar tread pattern to the Falken 453 I think.
Personally, I wouldnt use the AD08's but only because a number of people tell me they dont inspire confidence in the wet.
Yep the old 'what's the best tyre?' question No I'm not looking for semi slicks cos i know they only last about 5K on most cars,I've already got a set of Falken 453's and there no good for me as i do like to use the car to its full potential and as you say aren't the best for high speed cornering i find they induce under steer but that also could be because my alignment is out and the tyres have worn a little on the inside lol.

In terms of budget i never skimp on tyres so I'm expecting them to be expensive which is fine,i had a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050's on my old car and found them great in the wet and dry and in terms of wear so might go for those again on the Evo,just wondered what people recommend that's all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-01-2014, 15:43   #4
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
A set of Goodyear F1 Assyms has recently gone on my X. The main reason is that they are reckoned to be one of the best in the wet and would therefore be suitable for MLR sprints in those conditions. First time out they were used on track in drying and then dry conditions and I'm told (I wasn't driving) that they seemed to work pretty well (ie no obvious understeer). I suspect that this had a fair bit to do with the fact that the geo was done at NR Autosport where anything with understeer simply won't be tolerated!
Old 16-01-2014, 15:46   #5
Capt.Mike

Car: BMW M4
My Car
Best tyres for Evo X

One person says such and such a tyre is great and others say the same tyre is dire. If you know a tyre and like its performance, go with what you know is sometimes a safe option.
If I had unlimited funds I'd fit R1R's and just renew them when necessary, and then keep the used worn ones for track days

And yes, I'd heard also that the F1's were very good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Capt.Mike; 16-01-2014 at 15:47..
Capt.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 15:53   #6
Lewis-X

My 330 SST is running a set of goodyear F1 asymmetric 2's the previous owner fitted before I brought it.. Do a decent job!
Lewis-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 16:44   #7
JJ 1646

Car: R34 GTR V-Spec II
Running goodyear F1s brilliant tyre, but recently tried MAXXIS MAZ1s had them on my old S15 and must say they are a brilliant tyre and grip extremely well good enough for daily use.

R35 GTR Black Edition 650R
JJ 1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 16:47   #8
Sider
Senior User

Take your pick from the ones on the group buy for a bargain

Sider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 17:13   #9
KenX

Car: Iveco Daily
My Car
I found the R1r's really good
Old 16-01-2014, 17:14   #10
EVO_MAN29

Car: Evo X
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord226 View Post
In terms of budget i never skimp on tyres so I'm expecting them to be expensive which is fine,i had a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050's on my old car and found them great in the wet and dry and in terms of wear so might go for those again on the Evo,just wondered what people recommend that's all
I use these & find them perfect for my needs which is a daily driver. They are more of a summer tyre but perform decent in the wet.
Should last around a maximum of 10k miles I'd think.

EVO_MAN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVO_MAN29 For This Useful Post:
Dobermann (18-08-2019)
Old 16-01-2014, 18:05   #11
michty_me
Senior User

Car: Forged Evo X CT-500
My Car
I've only ever had the standard A13c's on mine and now the AD08's. AD08's are miles better than the standard tyre. May try something else after though.

michty_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 15:38   #12
Jord226

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO_MAN29 View Post
I use these & find them perfect for my needs which is a daily driver. They are more of a summer tyre but perform decent in the wet.
Should last around a maximum of 10k miles I'd think.
Yeah i am tempted to buy these again found them great in the dry and almost just as good in the wet but my old car was FWD and only running 240BHP they did used to spin up a little in the wet when i floored it but it didn't have traction control or an LSD,do you find your back end kicks out at all if you floor it in the wet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michty_me View Post
I've only ever had the standard A13c's on mine and now the AD08's. AD08's are miles better than the standard tyre. May try something else after though.

What are the AD08's like in terms of wear? Tempted to try these as well

Last edited by Jord226; 17-01-2014 at 15:39..
Old 17-01-2014, 15:42   #13
Jord226

And for the Goodyear F1's there almost the same price as Potenza's on camskill,what are they like in the wet/dry and wear?
Old 17-01-2014, 16:27   #14
michty_me
Senior User

Car: Forged Evo X CT-500
My Car
Quote:
What are the AD08's like in terms of wear? Tempted to try these as well
They have lasted me a fair while longer than the A13's. Probably twice as long and still have some meat left on them. I would say you could get 10k out of them maybe.

michty_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 16:31   #15
EVO_MAN29

Car: Evo X
My Car
Quote:
Yeah i am tempted to buy these again found them great in the dry and almost just as good in the wet but my old car was FWD and only running 240BHP they did used to spin up a little in the wet when i floored it but it didn't have traction control or an LSD,do you find your back end kicks out at all if you floor it in the wet?
Not really unless I give it a small flick. My wheels do spin in the wet but I'm running more power than standard so it's expected.

EVO_MAN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: