Lancer Register Forum banner

Madmac Motorsport's Twincharged Evo 5

612K views 2K replies 217 participants last post by  Madmac 
#1 ·
During the winter build of the old Evo 5 hillclimb slag I decided to look at ways of reducing the turbo lag which was becoming an issue and costing precious hundredths of seconds on the hills last year. It never lacked top end power but the lag really started to get to me and i knew i could make it quicker point to point by reducing the lag - but keeping top end power.
I looked at many possible ways to do this but in the end settled for adding a supercharger to run in conjunction with the turbo.

Designed and built by myself with input from friends and members on MLR, most parts have been fabricated in my garage from whatever was lying around, the end result has been worth the blood, Sweat and tears I've put into this.

We've had her on the dyno at Wallace Performance in Aberdeen and had surprisingly few teething problems considering the unknowns and the huge amount of bespoke parts that needed to be designed, fabricated and made. Initial mapping is done now and the whole package is showing some serious potential! We've decided to keep the system at it's minimum until i do reliability tests and learn how to drive it properly :angel:

I've also designed and built a tubular front subframe and arms (total 9Kg:D) to reduce front weight and while i was at it, it seemed rude not to play with the suspension geometry!

I want to thank a few people for their input and help:

Russ and the guys at Wallace Performance who did the mapping and supplied parts/tea/banter etc. Top guys and never ones to shy from a challenge! Can't thank you enough:smthumbup:D. http://www.wallaceperformance.co.uk/

My mate Steve Marr who is the main technical guru, and who i regularly bugged to ask lots of questions on a daily basis:smthumbup.

My mate Graeme Wight Jnr for his help with the front subframe and major suspension geometry changes, Exhaust and general setting up

Alan Young Engineering Ltd for the quality machined bespoke pulleys and parts, Spot-on parts and great prices http://www.timingbeltpulleys.co.uk/pages/home.php

And everyone else who suffered because of my constant lust for knowledge during the build:smthumbup:D

As yet i've to do some miles and get her setup for the start of the 2010 Scottish Sprint & Hillclimb Championship, so for the moment i'm being realistic about expectations & screwing the nut until i check everything over and get used to driving it. Hoping to do some track testing soon though. I've had her out for a short drive and so far the whole package is working impressively. Instant delivery at anything above 2500rpm with absolutely awesome accelleration in every gear! This is on it's lowest boost setting too....

Over the next few months The guys at Wallace Performance & I are going to refine some of the setup and see what she's really capable of! We know we can find a lot more power & torque with some simple changes.

Meantime i'm happy with the initial results and looking forward to Doune Hillclimb in 2 weeks:D:D Should be fun!

Keep watching....;)

Attachments

See less See more
#74 ·
Yeah i have the casing welded up and the fully rebuilt box ready to go back in now. I'm taking the opportunity to replace the clutch while it's apart so no hurry to get it back together just now.

Sorry i missed Crail. I even had the passenger seat back in so i could take you for a stage:D. The crack was big enough to trip over so i couldn't take any chances of the casing breaking away and mixing with the flywheel. Simple modification to stop it happening again. Oh well, that's development for you....!

#79 ·
Had a serious issue with the blower on the dyno so for the moment the car is out of action:wallbang: I'll be missing Fintray this weekend although i might take the 'other' car to Fintray on Sunday to try and keep some points for the championship :D

I have a solution for Loton Park Hillclimb next weekend but it involves a lot of work and costs to get her going again.

Will update with any news as it happens

#83 ·
Not quite that simple! I've looked at it and would need to make a complicated idler pulley for the belt drive system and some new intake pipes to make it work. Would also depend on WP workload for the mapping. It's a lot of work for just one event as i hope to have the blower repaired within a few weeks - it's probably not worth it being honest. Once back together, we'll go back to the rollers for the big power:D

I think i'll spend the next 2 weekends catching up on some maintenance to the house since i've spent the winter in the garage. Time off will do me good!

I need to find an old intercooler urgently. If anyone has a damaged/leaking core then get in touch. Anything considered, regardless of damage although would prefer something designed for around 600hp. I only need a section of a core for my needs. I'll start a new thread anyway

#85 ·
Steve, sorry been away from the thread until now.

Call me and we can arrange to get your work done soon.

To update the situation with the car. Missed Fintray hillclimb in the Evo but took the opportunity to drive the Legnum up the hill. Got her down to a 33.47s:D

I decided not to put the car back to turbo only for loton park and was offered a double drive in a 'Busa engined Wesfield at Loton. Not long back - was an awesome weekend. Really liked the challenge of the Westie and wasn't disappointed, great machine to chuck around in anger.... Did a 60.17s on the last run. The owner of the westfield did a 57s run on the last timed run.

Next event Golspie Sprint at the start of June. Should have the Evo back together and on the dyno soon enough:D

#86 ·
Update:

Supercharger arrived back so just to put it back together and alter a few bits of pipework before the next dyno session.

Instead of Golspie sprint, we're off for a crack at Shelsley Walsh - weekend June 4th:D

#87 · (Edited)
Update:

Well, what can i say:D:D:D - It works!

We had a relatively successful dyno session yesterday. I say 'relatively' because we still had some issues with the blower but pressed on with the mapping anyway as the problem turned out to be not too serious and we managed to work around it.

The new chargecooler system is working great and along with the intercooler the whole package came alive at last! Due to having old tyres on the car we suffered wheelspin on the rollers so we didn't get final power and torque figures. What we did see was 591wheel hp at 5000rpm and above that, we're not really sure as the tyres just couldn't hold the power back above 5000. Having driven it very briefly, i would say there's a HUGE amount of power than we had on the previous lower boost and the low end is breathtaking.

Just gently squeezing the throttle at 2-3000rpm the car takes off in the most amazing way. Turbo spools instantly catapulting the car forward with power smooth and increasing all the way to the redline. No lag, no waiting - it's instant power at any revs without the 'whoosh bang' you get from the T04Z. It's like driving a well tuned V8!

The results so far are mindblowing. A few refinements still to be done to help with driveability and cruise and i think it's pretty much where i wanted it to be. The point of the twincharge was to reduce turbo lag - we've achieved that and more with what feels like at least another 100+ hp above last years 635hp:D. In the mid-range the torque is amazing. I've never felt a car accelerate like this!

I can't thank Russ and the guys at Wallace Performance enough for their help. This project just couldn't have been done without such a bunch of knowledgeable guys and good equipment at hand. The service has been outstanding from day one and credit where credit's due - A+:smthumbup. Next time i promise to have better tyres!

I realise this now needs treated with the respect it deserves, I haven't driven it much although from the drive i did get last night, i would have to say we've created a very very quick Evo and everything i need it to be for hillclimbing and sprints. Will be interesting to see how she performs at Shelsley Walsh next weekend. Can't wait!

Some more photos and hopefully a few videos coming soon:smthumbup

#90 ·
JIm, Doune is in 3 weeks. Will probably scare the pants off me this time!

Grant, YHPM

#91 ·
Updated pics

Some more pics of how the engine bay looks now for the inquisitive minds;)

I still have a lot of tidying in the engine bay to do as the chargecooler was only installed in the early hours of Thursday morning and was a bit 'last minute'. Not much room in there now!

Sorry about the picture quality

Attachments

#94 ·
Dyno run here:

#97 · (Edited)
Madmac, congrats on the sucesful dyno session. Get some new tyres on there and show everyone what power you can make.

BY the way, from the pics i think i have figured out your layout. Very nice mate! I would suggest running a large ICE water tank in the rear of the car for charge cooler. As the presure should only be about half of the total boost you are running it should last a while. at the end of the day you only need the water to tay below ambient for about 60seconds. And you will get better cooling than trying to run a heat exchanger. plus where would you put the bloody heat exchange?lol (looked atthe puics again and i can now see its behind the intercooler/just in front of the rad)

Also what turbo are you running? If you are getting the turbo to spool really fast, might be worth looking at a little bit bigger one.... maybe a GT42RS or even GTx42rs??....or maybe a GT42 frame with GT47-88 wheels? ;) on a serius note a larger turbo SHOULD produce the boost at lower temps and i dont think lag will be an issue for you any more!

Great setup. cant wait to see more puics and vids of the car.

Chris.

PS are you running any other form of anti-lag? wonder how a bang-bang system would work with the supercharger on there?

EDIT: have you thought about mounting the Chargecooler in the passanger footwell? Thinking it will get the weight of the unit lower down in the chassis and reduce the heat soak form the engine bay....... just an idea. maybe one for the future....

#98 · (Edited)
The system i have has just proven itself over the weekend.

We gatecrashed Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb for a round of the british championship - got back last night after a 9 hour drive north!

What a cracking hill! Graeme Wight Jnr told me it was 'a thrash' and he wasn't wrong! Much steeper than the in-car videos show and definately a power hill. My first ever drive up the hill was a 31.79s, a fairly committed run. It was a very hot day and by the 3rd practice i got down to a 30.27. The class record is 29.16s but i'd have been happy with a sub 30s climb. On Sunday morning timed run i went for it only to be red flagged halfway up the finish straight so coasted over the line at half the speed of previous runs and still stopped the clock on a 30.45s so i reckon that run would have been easily sub 30. On the re-run i just didn't have the same mindset and made a string of mistakes to stop the clock on 30.34s. I was almost at the startline for the 2nd timed run but the heavens opened and i decided not to take the run as i was on slicks and with the amount of water on the tar the car would have aquaplaned at about 40mph!

Starts were consistently 1.8s with one run 1.79s so the quickest start of the weekend. An official told me there was only a handful of cars have started sub 1.8s in the history of Shelsley so i'm pretty chuffed with the weekend. 113/114mph over the line exceeding the speed of a lot of single seaters!

In-car and out of car videos coming soon:D

#100 ·
This was my 'fastest' run from the weekend. I reckon a sub-30 if i hadn't been red flagged at the end...

Seems the 4 season old engine is getting a bit smoky which is no doubt hurting the power output now.

In-car to follow but it will take most of the day to upload

#102 ·
The car before me stalled just over the hill at the paddock entrance so the red flags came out. By the time i got there the car had been pushed out of the way so probably no need to have brought the flags out but safety first and i don't blame them for that. They probably knew i was going to come over the line at 110+ and needed all the tarmac to slow down:crackup:

#104 ·
Yeah, the record in ModProd of 29.16s was set by the Audi RS4 4.2l turbo of Roger Banks back in 2007