Oil Advice and Recommendations here! - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 76 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 18-11-2004, 12:13   #1
oilman
Senior User

Oil Advice and Recommendations here!

Hopefully this thread will save some time and people asking the same questions every day. (Sticky Admins?)

I'm more than happy to give oil recommendations and advice here which will hopefully build up to a useful OIL FAQ in time.

Just a short introduction first. My name is Simon Barnard and I run an oil distribution business in the South West. (We are an MLR Trader)

We sell the following brands: Silkolene, Motul, Fuchs, Castrol, Mobil1 and Total (totalling over 300 different oils) and deliver overnight throughout UK Mainland.

My web is here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ where you will find technical data on most the oils we sell.

We are more than happy to help in giving advice as we subscibe to proprietory databases that give use oil data on all cars back as far as the mid 80's.

We can give you the most suitable grade for any part of your car and can recommend products from our ranges. We even keep data and chemical analysis on some oils that we don't sell!

You can always PM or Email me if you wish to discuss a matter off the forum.

So my recommendations are as follows:

According to my reference books, the following oils are the OEM recommendations for your stock Lancers used as road cars.

Lancer 1300, 1500 (84-89) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1500 (88-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1600, 1800 gti 16v (88 onwards) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1800 GLXi 4WD (89-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer EVO VI (99 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VII (2001 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VIII (2003 onwards) 5w-40 fully

If you have modded your car, affecting BHP and temps or are using it for competition/track days then other factors need to be taken into account and I will have to deal with these enquiries individually.

I will however need the Make, Model, Year, Engine Size, Modifications (stock BHP vs Modded BHP) and stlye of driving (road/track) etc and I can more accurately recommend the correct viscosity oil for you.

Please also bear in mind that modding your car or using it in "anger" means the need for a more shear stable oil that will "stay in grade" rather than shear down with use so I would always in these situations recommend the use of a proper ester/pao synthetic oil, not a petroleum oil as is commonly sold and labelled as a synthetic oil.

Please feel free to ask.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by oilman; 03-01-2009 at 04:59..
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
hostingplazaa (25-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-11-2004, 12:54   #2
chunky

Car: 4wd, 280hp...and a Skoda badge
My Car
Excellent timing Simon, I was just about to scout out for oils for my next change

I notice you don't list oils for the earlier Evos there, would you recommend the same oils as for the VI onward?
chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 13:11   #3
oilman
Senior User

Certainly, if the car is stock 10w-40 or 5w-40. You will get better "cold start" protection from the 5w oil though.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by oilman; 03-01-2009 at 02:24.. Reason: link to section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-11-2004, 13:19   #4
daveR

My Car
Could you go as far as to recommend a specific brand and weight for me?

99 E6, Standard at the mo but will have a "mild" state of tune (ie no internals) and gets used for at most "fast road" driving and the odd track day.
daveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 13:26   #5
oilman
Senior User

Yep, check out the Group Buy thread for prices but if you want a top quality one than I would look at:

Silkolene PRO S 5w-40
Motul 300V 5w-40

Tech data here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by oilman; 03-01-2009 at 04:35..
Old 18-11-2004, 15:54   #6
EVOHOLIX

Car: HIS Evo 4-HERS Evo VI TME
My Car
recomendations for a 94 Evo 4 - standard internals induction and exhaust mods though - general day to day; fast road + some trackdays.

Advice most appreciated.

Ali
Old 18-11-2004, 16:09   #7
oilman
Senior User

The book recommendation is 10w-40 or 10w-50.

With the trackdays I would suggest a 10w-50 may be a better choice if temps are high.

Look at Silkolene PRO S 10w-50 or
Motul 300V 10w-40 Chrono

Tech data here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

Prices in Group Buy section.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by oilman; 03-01-2009 at 04:35..
Old 18-11-2004, 16:16   #8
EVOHOLIX

Car: HIS Evo 4-HERS Evo VI TME
My Car
cheers for that Simon
Old 18-11-2004, 21:31   #9
urologist

Car: IXGT
Simon
Your advice would be much appreciated - Evo VI Gems/uprated pistons and rods/induction/decat/Evo 400 turbo - 375-400bhp & similar torque figures. Use - everything from driving to work to track days. Presently got Shell Helix Ultra fully synth 5-40.
Look forward to comments/tips.
Neil
urologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 09:00   #10
oilman
Senior User

The recommendation is for 5w-40 which will be fine if you use a proper synthetic, shear stable one which has the ability to cope with any extra heat. If you are running higher than normal temps then it would be adviseable to use a 10w-50 fully synthetic.

Consider the shear stable Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 or Motul 300V 5w-40 as first choice unless you are running higher temps in which case I would use Silkolene PRO S 10w-50.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by oilman; 18-07-2008 at 13:32..
Old 19-11-2004, 09:11   #11
oilman
Senior User

Perhaps I should explain the reasons for not recommending what would seem the logical choice 5w-50.

Basically I've not yet seen a good one due to the wide viscosity range for a 5w-50 multigrade. (Fuchs do a PAO based one which is probably the best I've seen)

To make a multigrade work with such a wide range, it requires bucket loads of VI Improvers which makes it more prone to shear
meaning that within a couple of thousand miles it will be a 5w-40 or 5w-30 giving less protection over time than a shear stable 5w-40 which requires far less VI Improvers to make it work.

Hope this makes sense as it's difficult to explain.

Basically the wider the viscosity range the more prone the oil is to thermal breakdown unless proper (ester/pao) basestocks are used which are thermally stable and needing less VI Improvers to prop them up.

VISCOSITY INDEX IMPROVERS

As a lubricant basestock is subjected to increasing temperatures it tends to lose its viscosity. In other words, it thins out. This leads to decreased engine protection and a higher likelihood of metal to metal contact. Therefore, if this viscosity loss can be minimized, the probability of unnecessary engine wear will be reduced.

This is where viscosity index (VI) improvers come in.

VI improvers are polymers that expand and contract with changes in temperature. At low temperatures they are very compact and affect the viscosity of a lubricant very little. But, at high temperatures these polymers "expand" into much larger long-chain polymers which significantly increase the viscosity of their host lubricant.

So, as the basestock loses viscosity with increases in temperature, VI improvers “fight back” against the viscosity drop by increasing their size. The higher the molecular weight of the polymers used, the better the power of "thickening" within the lubricant. Unfortunately, an increase in molecular weight also leads to an inherent instability of the polymers themselves. They become much more prone to shearing within an engine.

As these polymers are sheared back to lower molecular weight molecules, their effectiveness as a VI improver decreases. Unfortunately, because petroleum basestocks are so prone to viscosity loss at high temperatures, high molecular weight polymers must be used. Since these polymers are more prone to shearing than lower molecular weight polymers, petroleum oils tend to shear back very quickly.

In other words, they lose their ability to maintain their viscosity at high temperatures.

Synthetic basestocks, on the other hand, are much less prone to viscosity loss at high temperatures. Therefore, lower molecular weight polymers may be used as VI improvers.

These polymers are less prone to shearing, so they are effective for a much longer period of time than the VI improvers used in petroleum oils. In other words, synthetic oils do not quickly lose their ability to maintain viscosity at high temperatures as petroleum oils do.

In fact, some synthetic basestocks are so stable at high temperatures they need little or no VI improvers at all. Obviously, these basestocks will maintain their high temperature viscosities for a very long time since there are no VI improvers to break down.

Cheers
Simon
Old 19-11-2004, 17:11   #12
raywong

Simon,
Many people think syn oil is bad for vintage engine, because they induce oil leak/consumption. Any comment?
raywong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 17:16   #13
mike_turbo

Car: EX Evo 6 & 6.5 currently 911
My Car
im sure ive got silkolene 15w 50 in my car,,, is there such a thing???
mike_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2004, 12:41   #14
oilman
Senior User

Quote:
Originally posted by raywong
Simon,
Many people think syn oil is bad for vintage engine, because they induce oil leak/consumption. Any comment?
This is not true, you just have to use a thick one, 15w-50 kind of grade, real vintage cars often use monograde oils though.

Cheers

Simon.
Old 21-11-2004, 12:42   #15
oilman
Senior User

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_turbo
im sure ive got silkolene 15w 50 in my car,,, is there such a thing???
Yep, the Silkolene Pro R 15w-50 and good stuff too.

You could try the Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 to give better cold start.

Cheers

Simon.
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: