Lancer Register Forum banner

lean spool enable or disable

8K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  GUM EVO 
#1 ·
When running bigger turbos and high power setups who prefers lean spool and who prefers to disable it. In your experiences what are the advantages or disadvantages of both on stock ecu.

Really want replies based on big turbos and high hp setups rather than small turbo 500 or less hp setups.

Regards,
Gum

#2 · (Edited)
I'm thinking the stock settings are probably useless once bigger turbos are used and by disabling it you can hit desired values more accurately through high octane fuel map. Also do people change the start and stop values for it when they have it enabled for big turbos??? I have some thoughts on it but wonder what others do and think regarding this.

#4 ·
I believe the lean spool is just want it says... achieves a leaner mixture according to what the map parameters are set at. So the hotter exhaust gas will aid spool time... or at least my interpretation of it is as above... so realistically with a bigger turbo that spools much later you'd assume the lean spool thresholds would need modifying somewhat.

#6 ·
Does it not increase the chance of starting knock?, I know my car (GTO) is very picky around 4000rpm and having it 1 point leaner would definitely cause it to start knocking.

Don't know it it would be better or worse on turbos with higher output (probably worse if you are octane limited on straight petrol?).

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for input... yeah that is something i thought about too. using pump fuels that are not always consistent makes you wonder if lean spool enabled is wise. Could cause temperatures to rise considerably if your in that lean region often. Some say you should build a very safe hi octane fueling map with plenty of safety. Then activate lean spool but increasing the the points of deviation in .2 increments. that will give you the benefit of the leaner mixture and if you tune right the longer the pull it will quickly switch back to the high octane map. What i'm wondering is once a setup gets pretty far from stock these lean spool tables must need to be heavily modified??? or couldn't they cause very high cylinder/head temps with lean conditions.

I have been looking into the stock ecu side of things a bit and am just trying to understand... so wondered what others do. I would think the start rpm for LS should move from 2000rpm to more like 3500 as you cant really get the big turbine to do much down there so whats the point in running so lean. then lean out around the actual spool area... the other thing that I cant understand is why they run LS to the rev limit:confused: I would have thought with a big turbo run LS between 3500-5800 then allow the switch to the high octane map.

Also anyone know why I cant view or adjust all my lean spool tables in ecuflash? also I have a lot of other tables I cant access:wallbang: My ROM is 88570008

#10 ·
I just cant get my head around all this xml and .bin and rom stuff :crackup::cry: you can navigate around standalone software like motec and link with relative ease... however this being a "hacked" software requires some computer software knowledge lol!

Will get there in the end... any ideas where i get the correct XML and where I put it to get things working completely. I need access to the fan maps, knock thresholds, LS and few other things. I have the tephra mods however.

#11 ·
Lean spool can run up to 1 AFR leaner on the 1st pull which can create some higher knock counts than you would normally see.

On bigger turbo stuff I tend to leave it on up to a set rpm, so if was mapping say an S205 I would turn it off 250-300 rpm before peak boost.

#13 ·

Can anyone help me... I have all the latest rom and xml's as a couple of very kind members sent me them. Why cant I access all the tables within the software... really getting hacked off now. Is it because i dumped the file from ecu with a older version of ecuflash and have since upgraded to the latest version?? above pics shows my rom and the fields in grey i have no access too.

#17 · (Edited)
Yes I did... If i use a couple of 88570008 xml's, one which Jamie gave me and one which todd gave me in the file at the same time I get access to lean spool but am missing some basics like target idle rpm etc. It's really strange and annoying. Jamie said don't use two xml's at once in the folder so I'm back to square one :(

#18 ·
I'll try sending some stuff next time I get on my laptop.

There are only 3 things to change and that's as far as I'd take it.

First 2 are enable and disable RPM limits:
I've heard of tuners using these to tune to good effect. On a stock sized to slightly bigger turbo 2.0l and standard rev limit , enabled at around 2000 and disabled at around 4500-5000 RPM.

I'd imagine that for a turbo that spools later than stock you could use figures of 2500 and 5000 as the start points for some logging...

Most important table I'd say is Lean Spool AFR Change:
I run mine slightly less aggressive than stock settings for 2 main reasons. Firstly my 80 series spools quick and early anyway, and also because I was getting a bit of knock detection at a consistent RPM but only on the first high load application after a bit of low load cruising. It was probably false knock, but why risk it?

Ultimately, Lean Spool is a function that Mitsubishi spent some time developing and implementing on production cars. So there must have been some benefit! Whether you consider it a useful benefit is up to yourself. No harm in experimenting mildly and logging accordingly before you decide

You also mentioned concerns over inconsistent quality of pump fuel. My thoughts on this are that firstly the base AFRs are tuned in with this as a consideration anyway. Lean Spool settings should therefore already have protection built in through the base AFR settings.

There are some members on another forum whi could probably help more, are you a member there yet?

Cheerz

Mark H

Reactions: GUM EVO
#19 · (Edited)
You mean geekmapped? I heard they have a lot of virus and bugs on the site so haven't been on for a year or so.

Cheers for your feedback and I understand what your saying completely... I strongly believe that when the setup has changed considerably the tables need to be modified or just disable lean spool. I would like to experiment with modifying it first then go from there :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.