Anyone here got the Chinese virus? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Non-Lancer Chat

Old 17-03-2020, 09:52   #1
Hank79

Car: TME SPC, Lotus Exige 380, R34 GTR NUR, WRX STi version 5, RX7 Spirit R type A
Anyone here got the Chinese virus?

Iím getting worried day by day. Not sure who is more susceptible to worse symptoms than others as itís new out of China with no immunity.
Hank79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-03-2020, 10:30   #2
Mita
Senior User

Worry won’t cure it. Gotta keep going, wash your hands , practice the best hygiene you can. Look after your elders as they are at the biggest risk. Staying in the house and trying to avoid it is pointless. It will be around for a good while yet. I got back from mainland Spain last night, it was crazy. Police in the streets. But then what? Stay in for a year!? It’s coming to everyone, it’s managing it that counts.
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
ant1 (17-03-2020), Christopher (17-03-2020), Clivew (22-03-2020), Coggy (17-03-2020), gaz007 (17-03-2020), Hank79 (18-03-2020), marcusevo6 (20-03-2020), plip1953 (18-03-2020), Sephiro (18-03-2020), Tom Dick (17-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 10:35   #3
Christopher

Car: Evo 5 468ATW(meths map)408ATW(optimax)
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank79 View Post
I’m getting worried day by day. Not sure who is more susceptible to worse symptoms than others as it’s new out of China with no immunity.

If you are fit and healthy, chances are you have nothing to worry about.
If you are old and not so healthy, than it makes it harder to recover, if you catch it, but its not impossible.
Even if you are young, but are overweight and kick the arse out of "everything" at the weekends, your immune system will not be in the best condition to deal with it, if you catch it.
Smokers/ heavily overweight people/ high blood pressure suffers are also in a worse position, as is anybody with underlying health problems.
Most people who catch it are fine within a few days or a week, but some are getting flu like symptoms and take a bit longer to recover.
Then, unfortunately, there are some people who will get it full on and either not recover or take a long time to recover and could have possible lung issues even after recovery.
I would be more worried about a World Economic Collapse, than this virus!
Even if it doesn't come to that,a lot of people, who are living well beyond their means are going to be in for a pretty sobering wake up call, if this lasts for 6 months or more and for some people a lot less time than that.
And some people are going to make an awful lot of money out of other peoples misery, when the banks come calling for their money and start auctioning of all those expensive cars and houses, for next to nothing, to get some money back.
Challenging times for everybody and the worst of it being that NOBODY has any idea how long it will last or if it will ever fade away, like SARS and the other flash in the pan virus's we seem to get, every few years.

Last edited by Christopher; 17-03-2020 at 10:43..
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christopher For This Useful Post:
ant1 (17-03-2020), Hank79 (18-03-2020), Mita (17-03-2020), Tom Dick (17-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 11:08   #4
ant1
Senior User

Car: Evo TME RS
My Car
I have been going to the gym 5 days per week for past 4 years and stopped today (gutted) as i'm diabetic (type 1) plus I'm stopping work for the foreseeable future.

I really couldn't careless about this virus tbh but I want my kids to grow up with a father and stability so it is what it is.

I'm fortunate however I really feel for the people who aren't in my position, already spoken to a couple of elderly neighbours and said if they need to store any frozen food or for me to get anything to let me know.

Can't help thinking it's all been driven by the media but we shall see in a few months.
ant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ant1 For This Useful Post:
Christopher (17-03-2020), Hank79 (18-03-2020), Mita (17-03-2020), Stallion (17-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 11:15   #5
Mita
Senior User

I thought you looked stacked when I saw you

Sorry mate, tough times. But you’re right you have to be a father. You can’t risk it. We will all get through this. The media are awful and are rubbing their hands together. However, we all have to take this seriously. It’s certainly no joke anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1 View Post
I have been going to the gym 5 days per week for past 4 years and stopped today (gutted) as i'm diabetic (type 1) plus I'm stopping work for the foreseeable future.

I really couldn't careless about this virus tbh but I want my kids to grow up with a father and stability so it is what it is.

I'm fortunate however I really feel for the people who aren't in my position, already spoken to a couple of elderly neighbours and said if they need to store any frozen food or for me to get anything to let me know.

Can't help thinking it's all been driven by the media but we shall see in a few months.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
ant1 (17-03-2020), Christopher (17-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 11:24   #6
ant1
Senior User

Car: Evo TME RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
I thought you looked stacked when I saw you

Sorry mate, tough times. But youíre right you have to be a father. You canít risk it. We will all get through this. The media are awful and are rubbing their hands together. However, we all have to take this seriously. Itís certainly no joke anymore
Exactly that. I keep fit to keep my diabetes under control so I can watch my kids grow up, I don't want to fail at the first hurdle.

As mentioned in a post further up, all the poor ****ers who are already struggling, it's going to be a nightmare plus food banks are now closed.

I don't like seeing genuine people struggle, always been one for the underdog but wtf are they supposed to do?
ant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ant1 For This Useful Post:
Christopher (17-03-2020), Mita (17-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 11:30   #7
Mita
Senior User

Itís certainly hard times. And a real wake up call for living on credit and above your means.

I hate to see all this panic buying bull **** , the elderly arenít being thought about. The selfishness of some people is staggering. This is a time to pull together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1 View Post
Exactly that. I keep fit to keep my diabetes under control so I can watch my kids grow up, I don't want to fail at the first hurdle.

As mentioned in a post further up, all the poor ****ers who are already struggling, it's going to be a nightmare plus food banks are now closed.

I don't like seeing genuine people struggle, always been one for the underdog but wtf are they supposed to do?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Christopher (17-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 12:15   #8
fozz57
Senior User

Car: Ralliart Sportback
Wife and I are both in our early seventies, fortunately reasonably healthy with no known health issues.
We have cut down on all social events, children and grandkids were due this weekend for a family meal but that is now off. Our builder who was due to do a small job for us has cancelled as his wife is ill, sensible chap, utility room can wait.
We are both retired so work is not an issue but the impact of the virus must be devastating for many, and the numbers likely to grow.
I suppose it is inevitable that we will catch it at some point but I am not looking forward to it and yes, it does worry me and that is not like me.
Shopping was as normal for us last week but this week ??? we will wait and see. We shop sensibly and just for ourselves. I was reading yesterday that some supermarkets are now considering have a 70s plus only shopping slot each week, things are changing !
At the moment we are OK.
Cheers
Brian.
fozz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fozz57 For This Useful Post:
evo5d (18-03-2020), Hank79 (18-03-2020), Makes (02-04-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 12:51   #9
Tom Dick
NR555

Car: Evo VII, forged at NR with a 3076
My Car
Waiting for all the "i'm off work so given the evo a polish" threads
If your beliefs bring comfort to your heart, Then who am I to try and tear your world apart? I wish you well in your endeavours and your life, And I'll leave you to yours if you leave me to mine, It's not your place to impose religious law on the rest of us like so many have before, and it's equally not my place to say you're wrong I don't have to read your book and you don't have to like this song
Tom Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Dick For This Useful Post:
Makes (02-04-2020), Mita (17-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 13:23   #10
jdm4life
Senior User

The most absurd display of hysteria Ive ever seen and shows the hold the msm has on the population with their sensationalist nonsense.

Ebola, sars, avian flu, swine flu, zika...All of these were going to wipe out the population.

Corona is so deadly they tell you to wash your hands and have 2 week off work. Awful.

20,000+ have died of flu in usa since 1st Jan. 4500 died world wide of corona. I aint buying it.

Im still waiting for the effects of the millennium bug to kick in and of course the brexit catastrophe. Im off to buy ammo and bog roll, after Ive washed my hands, obviously.
Evomentalist (17-03-2020), interbishi (17-03-2020), j dog (22-03-2020), Madmac (18-03-2020), Mita (17-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 13:47   #11
jdm4life
Senior User

...........................and like everything made in China, it wont last.
ant1 (17-03-2020), Coggy (17-03-2020), Makes (02-04-2020), Mita (17-03-2020), Tom Dick (17-03-2020), willox (17-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 18:36   #12
cheeseface39

My wife has said if I have to self isolate it means we can spend some quality time together at home which has made me realise just how serious virus this has got , I spend Sunday’s at home with her which is just bearable so the big question is what on earth do you speak to your wife about for 2weeks and still like her at the end of it ,
I’ll ask her to find out how many Red TMEs were made ,that should keep busy for a while
cheeseface39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 19:52   #13
Mick-87
Senior User

As a business owner with a number of employees it's scares the crap out of me. More than 4 people off at the same time and the business doesn't work without laying more off.

The industry is already ****ed with bigger companies using cheap european labour and undercutting the smaller companies
Mick-87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 22:13   #14
Aidy
Senior User

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4life View Post
20,000+ have died of flu in usa since 1st Jan.
The flu is endemic though, this covid thing is just starting so comparing totals on one disease that has been endemic for decades with another that has recently been introduced into the population is just plain ignorant.

Not only is covid's mortality rate substantially higher than the flu, you're more likely to pass it on. Add to that there is still no vaccine for this strain and as it is a lower-respiratory infection rather than an upper-respiratory infection like the flu, makes it far more unpleasant and dangerous all round. Sure the flu gives you a sore threat, but this damages your lungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4life View Post
Im still waiting for the effects of the millennium bug to kick in
You don't have to worry about that. Not because it wasn't real or a genuine threat, but because people like myself spent years testing, fixing and re-writing affected software to ensure it was all y2k compliant. Thankfully anything written even since the 80s was probably still ok because we've known about this problem for a while. In fact a lot of Ada Lovelace's first program still exists and here is an extract;

Code:
int a = 52;
// TODO: "52" is "1852", refactor code to allow 4 digit years - AL
// (better yet, abstract dates to a number of seconds from an
//     arbitrary point in time - CB)

while (a <= 99)
{
    processYear(a++);
}
The fact that there was no big bang was purely down to those efforts, not because it wasn't a real issue. Y2K is a classic example of when someone does something right you don't know they've done anything at all. Similarly if the vaccine boffins have come up with is viable then this issue might be diverted too. Don't let that stop you posting crap on the internet to deride the efforts of people working hard to solve problems before they become catastrophes
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post:
Andrew1981 (22-05-2020), Clivew (22-03-2020), RSgeoff (05-04-2020), VR-4Squid (26-03-2020)
Old 17-03-2020, 22:42   #15
jdm4life
Senior User

The dramatic affect that expressing my opinions have on those efforts are my main motivation.

One of my best friends, a chinese doctor actually tested the first 2 confirmed cases in the uk so I know something about it.

Last edited by jdm4life; 17-03-2020 at 22:44..
jdm4life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdm4life For This Useful Post:
gaz007 (18-03-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: