Evo VII-IX Caution - Electrics! - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Electrical / Security / ICE / Navigation

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 13:52   #16
GAZ5EVO

Car: None at mo
yeah think mine had been like for a very long time, its only when i noticed my wipers, washers and intercooler spray not working that i had a look and found that, so i bought some wire and cut the plug off and soldered all the wires giving some extra length in the loom. On thing i will say if ya soldering them your gonna have fun with the ones nearest the foot well not a lot of room to get there and do it.

Indigo-GT 01495 719720
I am who I am
GAZ5EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 17:22   #17
Stevolution

Car: Vii FQ300
My Car
Started soldering today but it was a right chore, I sacked it off in the end and used crimps and heat shrinking instead.

I took the seat out so i could get better access
Old 07-01-2011, 17:24   #18
GAZ5EVO

Car: None at mo
i left the seat in when i did mine but it aint fun as you have found out lol

Indigo-GT 01495 719720
I am who I am
GAZ5EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 17:35   #19
Stevolution

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ5EVO View Post
i left the seat in when i did mine but it aint fun as you have found out lol
My neck and side was killing me when i was doing it outside of the car so I thought there must be an easier way which led to the seat removal.
Old 07-01-2011, 17:36   #20
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: Evo VI GSR Import (& F80 M3 Comp & 997 Turbo)
My Car
Quite a few VII-IX afflicted by this then - hence the reason I said it might be a good idea to check!

Cheerz

Mark H

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 17:41   #21
JTTME

Car: Evo IX MR FQ 360 by HKS. Geekmapped 400/400
My Car
Can anyone post a photo of where to check and locate the electrics that suffer from this problem in the footwell?
Ex 99 Integra Type R DC2 / Ex 06 Caterham Superlight R300 / Ex 04 Intergra Type R DC5 Buddy Club track beast 274.9 bhp N/A / Ex 00 Evo IV TME (red with decals) / Ex 07 Evo IX MR FQ 360 400/400 / Current 2007 BMW E90 330d M Sport 300/480 by R-Spec
JTTME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 17:52   #22
Stevolution

My Car
These are the ones.

Mostly its this plug that causes the issue as this is the one that goes out into the wheel arch.

I traced the water source to inside of the wheel arch. Here's a thread i did on it https://www.lancerregister.com/showth...ght=acd+lights

Last edited by Stevolution; 07-01-2011 at 17:57..
Stevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 18:18   #23
Rampant
Profound thinker

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevolution View Post
These are the ones.

Mostly its this plug that causes the issue as this is the one that goes out into the wheel arch.

I traced the water source to inside of the wheel arch. Here's a thread i did on it https://www.lancerregister.com/showth...ght=acd+lights

Brilliant thread thanks Steve

I'm now wondering whether my AYC pump intermittent (3 x ACD lights) failure is due to this very same (partial) corrosion of control wires??? Sounds plausible doesn't it? This could save me a princely sum and I'm glad I haven't already had my pump swapped out, just in case it's this...

Cheerz

Mark H

Old 07-01-2011, 19:40   #24
Wolves FC

Car: Mitsubishi Evo IX FQ 360, 57 Reg-NOW SOLD! Looking for a Blue X FQ360 If anyone has one for sale???
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
Brilliant thread thanks Steve

I'm now wondering whether my AYC pump intermittent (3 x ACD lights) failure is due to this very same (partial) corrosion of control wires??? Sounds plausible doesn't it? This could save me a princely sum and I'm glad I haven't already had my pump swapped out, just in case it's this...

Cheerz

Mark H
Someone else started a thread the other day about his ACD 3 lights coming on & Steve pointed out this problem.There is a plug down there that controls the ACD. After the op had checked it-(after Mitsi had fitted a NEW ACD Pump £600+ & still 3 lights)-he found the plugs were drenched.Cleaned & dryed & all ok!!! But water still getting in & the lights came on again but at least he knows what the problem is now. So you can bet your suffering the same problem which means you aint got to spend a months wages on a new ACD Pump!!!

Stevolution's done everyone a favour with this thread.
Old 08-01-2011, 15:37   #25
wip

Car: 88570008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
Quite a few VII-IX afflicted by this then - hence the reason I said it might be a good idea to check!

Cheerz

Mark H
Well, having only read this thread a few hours ago, I was going to check mine next weekend as I've had a couple of problems with the three lights and my wipers refusing to turn off a few months ago....

Only five minutes ago I heard a strange noise outside. Wondering who the hell would be using a strimmer in this weather, I looked outside, only to notice a puddle under the front of my car

Needless to say, I ran outside and disconnected the battery to stop the washer motor.

Looks like I'll be needing to sort it out sooner than I expected.

Talk about coincidence

Excellent pics by the way Stevolution
wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 17:30   #26
Stevolution

My Car
I think the combination of rain and snow over the last few months has caused havoc with the 7/8/9s. It takes awhile for corrosion to set but 7s have nearly been on the roads a decade now and slowly but surely this fault will happen more and more often.

I'm comtemplating writting up a thread on whole big picture of this and how to resolve the problem for good as it is a design flaw by mitsi but if people can prevent it happening out right then they'll have piece of mind for the future.
Old 08-01-2011, 17:44   #27
leecavturbo

Car: Evo8 MG Full Cosworth 2.2L/r stroker,Blouch xtr760,syvecs 9.8sec 30-130
My Car
good work / feedback stevo
leecavturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:36   #28
c_maguire

Were it not for the fact that corrosion takes time to happen this would almost certainly qualify for a factory recall to dealers for a free fix (although whether you would trust most dealers to effect a tidy/quality repair is dubious as their soldering/crimping/insulating is generally rubbish).

I just checked on my 30000 mile VII which judging by condition hasn't done many of its miles in bad weather and guess what? Corrosion is there, at the bottom on connector C135 (the one highlighted in this thread) and also on connector C134 below it. For now I've cleaned it up with IPA and a brush as no connections are really bad, although I will do the suggested fix later.

Stevolution, can you tell me if only the cabling for C135 is in the wheelarch (and so my corrosion on 134 is just water dripping from 135 above) or if 134 wiring is in the arch too?

Kevin
c_maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 16:41   #29
Rampant
Profound thinker

My Car
From looking at the loom when I got mine (temporary) fixed I think it is just all the wires to connector block C that run through the wheel arch.

Cheerz

Mark H

Old 09-01-2011, 18:51   #30
Stevolution

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_maguire View Post
Were it not for the fact that corrosion takes time to happen this would almost certainly qualify for a factory recall to dealers for a free fix (although whether you would trust most dealers to effect a tidy/quality repair is dubious as their soldering/crimping/insulating is generally rubbish).

I just checked on my 30000 mile VII which judging by condition hasn't done many of its miles in bad weather and guess what? Corrosion is there, at the bottom on connector C135 (the one highlighted in this thread) and also on connector C134 below it. For now I've cleaned it up with IPA and a brush as no connections are really bad, although I will do the suggested fix later.

Stevolution, can you tell me if only the cabling for C135 is in the wheelarch (and so my corrosion on 134 is just water dripping from 135 above) or if 134 wiring is in the arch too?

Kevin
Its this plug that i've had trouble with and this is the only one that runs out to the wheel arch.

[/IMG]

If you've successfully cleaned your plug and there's no damage to the connections i'd seal the loom as per my thread and chances are you wont have any problems in the future

Last edited by Stevolution; 09-01-2011 at 19:15..
Stevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: