Evo VII-IX Caution - Electrics! - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Electrical / Security / ICE / Navigation

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35   #1
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: Evo VI GSR Import (& F80 M3 Comp & 997 Turbo)
My Car
Evo VII-IX Caution - Electrics!

Slightly long story...

On my way to work one day before christmas my windscreen washers came on and wouldn't stop. So to prevent the washer motor burning out (or catching fire!) I pulled the fuse. The fuse also supplies power to the windscreen wipers so I didn't have wipers either - not ideal in the damp grimy weather.

Anyway - took the car to my local NR where Nick fortunately had enough time to trace the fault to a wiring loom connector block in the passenger footwell area.

Here is a picture of the male pin from inside the wiring connector block...

As you can see it has corroded right through both the wire and pin causing a permanent open-circuit which caused the washer motor to permanently operate.

There was evidence of condensation or moisture of some sort on the connector blocks and the beginning of some corrosion on a few other pins in the connector blocks - mainly isolated to the bottom-most few pins in the centre connector blocks.

Worryingly - the pin that feeds power to the fuel pump is very close to and in the same connector block to the pin that failed through corrosion. Clearly, if the fuel pump begins to fail with the car running this could have quite serious implications.

It might be time for VII - IX owners to get their car's connector blocks checked for evidence of moisture... ?

Not trying to scaremonger, as the pin most likely to fail is the same as mine - the washer motor control, and also the fuel pump wiring is thicker gauge wire, so should be more resistant to corrosion, etc. It's gotta be worth a quick check over, though.

Mine should be having a few wires reconnected with waterproof connectors just to be future-proof...

Cheerz

Mark H

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 10:44   #2
GOAT

I have read a few threads about this (water ingress) leading to damage to the connector blocks Not good really
Old 06-01-2011, 10:45   #3
SuperDan

Car: VIII MR FQ340
Why isnt your cabin moisture proof though?
SuperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 10:55   #4
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: Evo VI GSR Import (& F80 M3 Comp & 997 Turbo)
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDan View Post
Good question - I don't think there is a horrendous leak anywhere, so there are 2 things most likely...

1. Condensation forming inside the car from snow covered shoes causing wet mats or similar;

2. Salt deposits from gritted roads... If you use your car in this weather, just have a look at the seams around the sides of your front strut tops in the engine bay. There will most likely be flakes of crusty salt deposits that are created when salty water gets through the seams with capillary action. The water evaporates in the engine bay leaving the salt behind. If any flakes of salt find their way into the area of the electrical connectors, say through the side repeater recess... then the solid salt acts as a hydroscopic and sucks moisture out of the cabin air...

That's just 2 possible roots for water condensation to get onto the connectors, even though the cabin is ostensibly water-tight.

Cheerz

Mark H

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:01   #5
K

Car: EVO 7 RS S-P-R-I-N-T->
My Car
water in the connectors in the passenger footwell is a common problem
Old 06-01-2011, 16:51   #6
gilberto

Car: Evo 8 MR FQ-320
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
Slightly long story...

On my way to work one day before christmas my windscreen washers came on and wouldn't stop. So to prevent the washer motor burning out (or catching fire!) I pulled the fuse. The fuse also supplies power to the windscreen wipers so I didn't have wipers either - not ideal in the damp grimy weather.

Anyway - took the car to my local NR where Nick fortunately had enough time to trace the fault to a wiring loom connector block in the passenger footwell area.

Here is a picture of the male pin from inside the wiring connector block...

As you can see it has corroded right through both the wire and pin causing a permanent open-circuit which caused the washer motor to permanently operate.

There was evidence of condensation or moisture of some sort on the connector blocks and the beginning of some corrosion on a few other pins in the connector blocks - mainly isolated to the bottom-most few pins in the centre connector blocks.

Worryingly - the pin that feeds power to the fuel pump is very close to and in the same connector block to the pin that failed through corrosion. Clearly, if the fuel pump begins to fail with the car running this could have quite serious implications.

It might be time for VII - IX owners to get their car's connector blocks checked for evidence of moisture... ?

Not trying to scaremonger, as the pin most likely to fail is the same as mine - the washer motor control, and also the fuel pump wiring is thicker gauge wire, so should be more resistant to corrosion, etc. It's gotta be worth a quick check over, though.

Mine should be having a few wires reconnected with waterproof connectors just to be future-proof...

Cheerz

Mark H
Same thing happened to me in December. When i was at Mitsubishi the mechanic told me an Evo 9 had went up in smoke with a similar problem the week before.

Should really be a recall issue as its meant to be a common problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 17:05   #7
Wolves FC

Car: Mitsubishi Evo IX FQ 360, 57 Reg-NOW SOLD! Looking for a Blue X FQ360 If anyone has one for sale???
My Car
Yes ive seen this on another thread,it also causes all 3 of the ACD lights to come on. STEVOLUTION is doing an investigation as to where the water is coming from,he thinks its coming from the wheels up into front wheel arch as when he checked his it had bits of graval in it. Heres a link to the thread about the 3 ACD lights.

https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=351877
Old 06-01-2011, 17:12   #8
Johnno

Car: Evo IV
My Car
Seem's to be a common thing this,
Glad i dont drive in the rain haha

John.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 17:50   #9
Stevolution

Car: Vii FQ300
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDan View Post

The cabin is moisture proof. The Loom isnt sealed inside the inner arch and spray off the wheels soaks the wires and travels through the loom and eventually sits inside the plug.
Once the corrosion sets in its not long before problems start, I've had wipers,fuel pump and ayc pump issues all due to this.

My suggestion to anyone with a 7/8/9 is to check the loom is sealed within the inner arch under the plastice cover and if it's not follow my thread here to prevent further water ingress.
https://www.lancerregister.com/showth...ght=ACD+lights

Must make sure you dry the loom off and clean the plug and pins before you finish.

Alternativly you could remove the plug completely and solder the wires together. I'd still advise sealling the loom in the arch though.

Last edited by Stevolution; 06-01-2011 at 17:52..
Stevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 18:18   #10
GAZ5EVO

Car: None at mo
here is my plug in the same location and i had to cut 25 connections and solder 50 bloody things

Indigo-GT 01495 719720
I am who I am
GAZ5EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 18:43   #11
Mister H
Senior User

Car: M-Factory Racing Prepared Evo 4 , 6 motor,mega spec.
My Car
Thanks for this, nice info, we could all do with more like this, I will be checking mine as soon as possible.
Old 06-01-2011, 18:46   #12
neverneverman
Life after Evo= Elise

Car: The money pit has gone ! Lotus Elise now
My Car
Not good, this is getting very commom !
neverneverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 18:49   #13
scubaladdie

Car: Evo VI GSR, Compomotives,Teins,Carbon Twin-Plate,HKS Cams 396/400
My Car
Does it affect older Evo's or just the 7 8 and 9?
scubaladdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 22:42   #14
Stevolution

Car: Vii FQ300
My Car
Bloody hell Gaz yours was proper muller'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaladdie View Post
Does it affect older Evo's or just the 7 8 and 9?
Think its just 7/8/9 mate.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:53   #15
EVL

I've had the same problem on my VII. I didn't realise there was a problem until my lights refused to switch off!
EVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: