TRACKER Info & Question - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Electrical / Security / ICE / Navigation

Old 02-08-2019, 14:58   #1
ROBROB

Car: Black Evo 6 GSR
My Car
TRACKER Info & Question

Hi all,
Yesterday I had Tracker reinstall a new tracker and Tracker battery to replace the old. I rang Tracker after many years of annual membership to ask if all's well and was my Tracker still working ok. Unimpressed by the agent he said my system was no longer working as should and the battery was below the recommended limit. I asked why I had not been informed as I was just making a courtesy call. He had no real answer and just said can arrange a replacement. Was told a new system is £365 and offered £199 as an existing customer. I said I would think about it and ring back. I rang back another day and spoke to someone else and was asked if I had been quoted a replacement price. I said yes but could not remember what I had been quoted. I was told it would be £265. I then asked the agent to hold on and I found my notes and previous quote. I then relayed £199 had been offered and his reply was "that's why I asked you if you had been given a quote!" Very poor customer services... and then he did not want to discuss anything more than do you have a visa card? I have completed an automated request on their website on 24th July to be given a manager email and contact. Automated reply says will be replied within 7 days - so far no response. The Tracker was fitted by a real nice guy called Martin who subcontracts for Tracker from a company called Chameleon. The old Tracker when found had been hidden in the car and glued to the frame under the carpets. He decided to leave the old unit attached but install the new unit using the same wiring. An easier option. Interesting info: I learnt that the old Tracker had a battery system which had been recharging itself from the car main battery. Hence a small drain on my car battery over the years. The new Tracker and battery which are now being fitted do NOT recharge from the main car battery. This is good news avoiding a small drain, but slightly bad news as the Tracker battery life gets older the Tracker battery does not recharge itself but supposed to be good for 3-5 years approx. He then warned if I take the car battery out or disconnect to recharge, the Tracker battery continues operating but uses its own battery and does not replace any lost power. It only does this if the car battery is removed or disconnected. The Tracker unit apparently sends out a repeat interval ping to radio masts and is picked up by Tracker. Question: I was of the belief that to recharge or boost a car battery on a battery charger it is necessary or recommended to remove the car battery from the plus / minus posts first. Recall some old knowledge that to charge a car battery whilst still connected to the cars wiring could cause damage. Is this still true? Reason being that If I periodically remove or disconnect the car battery to recharge - this now means the Tracker battery is being used up more quickly?
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 18:40   #2
tracker
Senior User

My Car
Get a Ctek mate. No need to remove battery
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: