Evo X SST - Dodson clutch upgrade experience and opinions - Page 8 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 12-01-2021, 16:09   #106
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon ralliart View Post
I recently had a new OEM clutch fitted and the latest firmware version update and it made the car play up, had to have the original firmware installed.
Was it your car that made bigger figures than most when it was mapped? 380 being the usual, but was yours 400 or just over?

As for the firmware, I seem to remember there was an issue running the latest firmware on 08 boxes, so people were having to revert back to earlier versions, but cant remember what issues it was

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RG Motorsport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2021, 20:15   #107
Nikos!

Is there a service bulletin which instructs what firmware should be in which box?

What I don't understand is that if TCUs are the same for all SSTs (or for all 6DCT470 boxes to be precise) why would a firmware create a problem? Aren't electronically and mechanically the same?

The only thing I've read on a service bulletin related to clutch replacement in the US is that boxes are to be updated after install of basket to be able to carry out teach in and then revert back to original firmware.

Pls find this below:

https://docplayer.net/50465606-Tc-ss...s-revised.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 20:15   #108
Nikos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon ralliart View Post
I recently had a new OEM clutch fitted and the latest firmware version update and it made the car play up, had to have the original firmware installed.

What do you mean by play up? How was it behaving?

Nikos! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 21:02   #109
simon ralliart
Senior User

Car: Evo X Fq300
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
Was it your car that made bigger figures than most when it was mapped? 380 being the usual, but was yours 400 or just over?

As for the firmware, I seem to remember there was an issue running the latest firmware on 08 boxes, so people were having to revert back to earlier versions, but cant remember what issues it was

Stu
According to the Dyno it was running over the 400 mark, Im not sure how accurate the readings was.
Im no expert but what I've learnt is you can install the new firmware for the reteach but then your mapper has to revert to the original firmware.
stu8 (13-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 21:04   #110
simon ralliart
Senior User

Car: Evo X Fq300
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos! View Post
What do you mean by play up? How was it behaving?

The car would just change gear from 1st to 2nd when it felt like it. Reverted back to original TCU firmware then it was fine.
Old 13-01-2021, 23:44   #111
Sephiro
Senior User

Car: Evo X SST 330
Quote:
Is there a service bulletin which instructs what firmware should be in which box?
Yes there is a TSB from Mitsu:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...91780-0335.pdf
Quote:
What I don't understand is that if TCUs are the same for all SSTs (or for all 6DCT470 boxes to be precise) why would a firmware create a problem? Aren't electronically and mechanically the same?
I've weighed in on this before, however all SST boxes clearly aren't the same and have physical differences (even on the outside) that I assume each version of the firmware accommodates. Given that Mitsu released updated versions of each firmware to resolve issues, like the box mashing on startup, rather than just instruct everyone to move to the firmware used by the latest model of the box suggests to me that there is a reason otherwise, like most cost conscious businesses, they would have avoided the considerable additional costs/complexity of patching each firmware version and the labour cost of having to downflash the 2008 models after a teach in.

From my point of view the firmware suggested by Mitsu is the optimal one for your car (unless it is heavily modded). I'm not saying that running a firmware for a later model will potentially kill the box (as they are all adaptive anyway so they will attempt to adapt to the wrong box - I've run the B001 and B151 on my 2008 and for the former I didn't notice much of a difference, the latter made some noises I didn't notice on the older firmwares), however as they don't appear to offer any tangible benefits (other than for those to lazy to flash the 2008 up/down for a teach in) so I just stick with the latest version of the one Mitsu recommend for the 2008.

Due to all the variables involved without having someone from Getrag to explain the differences or someone to fully reverse engineer the firmware I suspect this debate will go on.
Sephiro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sephiro For This Useful Post:
Nikos! (14-01-2021), plip1953 (14-01-2021)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: