Anyone ran a PE 5862 on a 2.2 engine? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Engine / Turbo

Old 08-01-2020, 07:26   #1
Christopher

Car: Evo 5 468ATW(meths map)408ATW(optimax)
My Car
Anyone ran a PT5862 on a 2.2 engine?

Not been active on the site for a very long time, but I bought a highly modified 5 RS, from here, a couple of years ago that I have had to spend stupid money on, fixing the many problems it had, but that's another story.
I have just had a 2.2 build carried out by Mark from MAD, but I am dithering about what turbo to go for.
Mark has already given me options, from Full Race , including the 7670 and 8474 and their capabilities.
He doesn't have any information on the PE 5862, so I was just wondering if anybody had run one on a 2.2 engine, or had any information on that configuration?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

Last edited by Christopher; 08-01-2020 at 16:53..
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 07:42   #2
Mita
Senior User

Hello mate. I can’t help on the PE although a few on here have run them with great success. But I would take Marks lead if I’m honest and go with his recommendations. A good few people have loved the EFR range on here.

Any pics of the 5rs? Great choice, I’ve one myself and a 2.2 is a great choice should fly.

What issues have you had then?
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:57   #3
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
What kind of power are you looking to achieve?

By the way, you mean PT, not PE.

Last edited by plip1953; 08-01-2020 at 08:29..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plip1953 For This Useful Post:
EVO-KEV.22 (08-01-2020), Mita (08-01-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 08:25   #4
Mita
Senior User

Hahhaha I even wrote PE too

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
What kind if power are you looking to achieve?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Christopher (09-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:25   #5
Christopher

My Car
Quote:
What kind of power are you looking to achieve?

The embarrassment of not knowing what make of turbo is in your car!!
I used to be so clued up on everything Evo.
Went many years with no car and, due to the fact I work away for most of the year, I haven't got the same time to dedicate to my car, as I used to, but on a positive note I have more to spend on it!
Also, because the car has barely done 600 miles, since I got it, due to the problems Iv had, iv hardly seen it!
Im looking at either going stupid, with 700 or sensible with better spool 600ish, power wise.The gearbox, transfer box and diff have all been worked on by Clive, in preparation for the bigger power.
The car was running 658, on race fuel, with the previous set up, although I never got the chance to try it out with race fuel.

Last edited by Christopher; 08-01-2020 at 11:46..
Old 08-01-2020, 11:38   #6
Christopher

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Hello mate. I can’t help on the PE although a few on here have run them with great success. But I would take Marks lead if I’m honest and go with his recommendations. A good few people have loved the EFR range on here.

Any pics of the 5rs? Great choice, I’ve one myself and a 2.2 is a great choice should fly.

What issues have you had then?
Hello, mate
I think its a 5858 that's on it, now, but Mark suggested to possibly go with a 5862 Gen 2, as a replacement for that, if I didn't want to go down the more expensive route of the Full Race system.
Issues???
The short story is , basically, suspension and engine rebuild and racefab arm issues, but there is a little bit more to it than that!
For what I payed for that car and what I am now having to pay to get these issues sorted I could have bought something very nice, but you live and learn.
Iv also had the rear diff and transfer box sent to Clive to have him work his magic on them, as a precaution.The gearbox has already been strengthened by him.
This is my 2nd 5RS and 4th Evo, but this one will be my last.
Iv hardly got any pics and Im not a member, but I think I will join again , as i have missed a few nice things for sale!
I, myself, will have some nice bits to sell, once the car is finished.

Last edited by Christopher; 08-01-2020 at 16:26..
The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher For This Useful Post:
Mita (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 12:00   #7
Mita
Senior User

Clive is great, heís brilliant at what he does. Heís done 80% of my stuff so far.

Sounds like youíve had some fun. Sorry to hear mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Hello, mate
I think its a 5858 that's on it, now, but Mark suggested to possibly go with a 5862 Gen 2, as a replacement for that, if I didn't want to go down the more expensive route of the Full Race system.
Issues???
The short story is , basically, suspension and engine rebuild and racefab arm issues, but there is a little bit more to it than that!
For what I payed for that car and what I am now having to pay to get these issues sorted I could have bought something very nice, but you live and learn.
Iv also had the rear diff and transfer box sent to Clive to have him work his magic on them, as a precaution.
This is my 2nd 5RS and 4th Evo, but this one will be my last.
Iv hardly got any pics and Im not a member, but I think I will join again , as i have missed a few nice things for sale!
I, myself, will have some nice bits to sell, once the car is finished.
Christopher (09-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 14:58   #8
Christopher

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Clive is great, he’s brilliant at what he does. He’s done 80% of my stuff so far. M

Sounds like you’ve had some fun. Sorry to hear mate

Yes, he is!
Keeps you up to date and explains everything.
I was looking at my sig , for the last evo i bought, and the irony of what it says
Onwards and upwards.
I just want to make the car something special and have Mark do everything in one go, so that when i get home, in June, i have something to enjoy for a few weeks.
If fun equates to being ripped off and hung out to dry by the previous owner, and being astounded at the poor workmanship of the people who built it,then for sure, that is what iv had!

Still no information on my original question, though!

Last edited by Christopher; 08-01-2020 at 16:25..
The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher For This Useful Post:
Mita (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 14:59   #9
Mita
Senior User

Sounds like a great plan
Christopher (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 18:49   #10
TimC
Senior User

Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
Guessing this is the 5RS you now own?

https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=508685

If so sorry to hear of your issues as it certainly had the spec to assume it would of been the right car to buy.

I can't help you choose turbo but I'm another 5RS owner who is building a 2.2 (4g64) and I have just recently got an EFR8374 IWG kit for mine.
Christopher (09-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 19:45   #11
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
The PT 5862 Gen 2 is rated to 700bhp and I think it would be a great turbo, although I'm offering that opinion based solely of having great success with a car that ran a PT 6766. But I've also heard great things from an experienced and extremely competent Evo owner/driver about the Garrett Gen 2 GT30 which apparently is also rated at up to around 700bhp.
Christopher (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 05:28   #12
Christopher

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
Guessing this is the 5RS you now own?

https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=508685

If so sorry to hear of your issues as it certainly had the spec to assume it would of been the right car to buy.

I can't help you choose turbo but I'm another 5RS owner who is building a 2.2 (4g64) and I have just recently got an EFR8374 IWG kit for mine.
That's the one!
I thought the 2.2 would be a nice package.
It looks like there are a few nice 5Rs build in progress, at the moment.
I would have been better off, to have imported a fresh one and sent it to Mark, to do a complete build.
What sort of power are you looking at for that turbo?

Last edited by Christopher; 09-01-2020 at 10:39..
Old 09-01-2020, 05:35   #13
Christopher

My Car
Quote:
The PT 5862 Gen 2 is rated to 700bhp and I think it would be a great turbo, although I'm offering that opinion based solely of having great success with a car that ran a PT 6766. But I've also heard great things from an experienced and extremely competent Evo owner/driver about the Garrett Gen 2 GT30 which apparently is also rated at up to around 700bhp.
Thanks for the feedback.
There are so many options!
I just want to have to do this once, so I am trying to weigh up the extra cost of a full kit, to just replacing the existing turbo.
Mark has explained that the spool of the full race kit is very good and that's why I wanted to have some sort of comparison to the PT turbo, to see if there is much of a difference, before committing to the much bigger outlay.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:37   #14
TimC
Senior User

Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
That's the one!
I thought the 2.2 would be a nice package.
It looks like there are a few nice 5Rs build in progress, at the moment.
I would have been better off, to have imported a fresh one and sent it to Mark, to do a full build on.
What sort of power are you looking at for that turbo?
What sort of issues did you have with the RaceFab components?

Mines far from nice at the mo, itís a shell with low miles, sat on my mums drive covered in green algae

Iím hoping the 8374 will do around 700, weíll see though as I have the IWG which has a small exhaust housing in comparison to the non waste gated versions. In theory it will spool pretty good, just hope it doesnít choke it self up too early higher up in the revs.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:50   #15
Christopher

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
What sort of issues did you have with the RaceFab components?

Mines far from nice at the mo, it’s a shell with low miles, sat on my mums drive covered in green algae

I’m hoping the 8374 will do around 700, we’ll see though as I have the IWG which has a small exhaust housing in comparison to the non waste gated versions. In theory it will spool pretty good, just hope it doesn’t choke it self up too early higher up in the revs.
Well, when I received the car most of them were not even tightened up, which had the car veering about at speed, but that's more about the people who installed them than the components themselves.
On closer inspection it was found that some of them were imperial and some metric. This meant that there was play in them, which negates the point of having all the adjustments, if they are moving about.
"The sort of thing a farmer would have done", was the quote from the mechanic who found the problem and consequently found other problems concerning the wiring and rear brakes.
Not that he was belittling farmers, but just explaining that it was roughly done, with none of the accuracy that it required!
He took measurements and got a local machine shop to make bushes so that they would fit correctly, without any play in them. He did this, so as if I was ever to replace them I could go back to standard , instead of taking the easier path of drilling out the holes in the chassis.
I am going to sell them on, as I will never use them to their potential, so I will obviously include the bushes in the sale, so as the next person doesn't encounter the same problems I had.

I look forward to seeing your car develop.
The algae will help protect your paint!

Last edited by Christopher; 09-01-2020 at 10:44..
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: