Lancer Register Forum banner

Recommended Full Brake Setup For Evo 6

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Nikos! 
#1 ·
Hi all,

The time has come to change my pads and discs on my Evo 6. I don't think the discs have been changed since the production of the car. :lol:

The car has just hit 65k and is running 350bhp/350ft-lb and used for fast road and maybe around 3-4 track days this year (lockdown dependent).

I'm looking to use the below setup:

Discs: Rosssport Plain Discs, Grooved Discs
Pads: Project MU Type NS400, Pagid RS4.2, Ferodo DS2500/DS3000
Brake Lines: Hel Braided Brake Lines
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF600

Please let me know if this may be overkill for the power I'm running along with any recommendations.

Thanks,

H.

#3 ·
We’ve run oem brembos and few cars but with aftermarket discs, pads, braided hoses and better fluid, it worked a treat. I personally don’t rate Ferodo brake pads due to bad experience, haven’t tried others but heard good feedback on project Mu. I’ve always used Carbotech ( XP8 and XP10 ) and have been more than happy with it. Power wise, it was on Evos ranging from 360bhp up to 500.

#6 ·
Consider spending a bit more on discs too. Whilst the RossSport plain/grooved discs are a great price, they become more consumable with higher coefficient pads and track days. Perhaps consider spending a bit more on something like DBA discs.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I don't want pads which squeal tbh and it seems the ProjectMU's are mostly sold on Japan so not sure if they're worth shipping over with import tax etc. But will still take them into consideration.

Anymore recommendations from anyone?

Then I will have finally made a decision lol.

Thanks.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I don't want pads which squeal tbh and it seems the ProjectMU's are mostly sold on Japan so not sure if they're worth shipping over with import tax etc. But will still take them into consideration.

Anymore recommendations from anyone?

Then I will have finally made a decision lol.

Thanks.
It shouldn't be an issue getting Project Mu from a UK stockist....

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/brands/project-mu/hc-800.html

#13 ·
Brake fluid is important too, you mentioned some track day use so I would advise using high temp brake fluid and change it at least once a year, even twice to be safe.
Also, braided brake lines, no need to go for hyped up brands as they all use the same hose, the only difference is appearance. Do go for stainless fittings though.

#19 ·
I must say that on very fast mountain driving I love my pfc z-rated.

Had the xp10s before, but couldn't bare the noise and vibrations under braking.

The pfc are the perfect balance for me, although I haven't had the chance to test them on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory the PFC Z -Rated shouldn't be a patch on the XP10s in terms of stopping power.

Squeal is a characteristic often attributed to Carbotech XP8s, and seemingly to a lesser extent XP10s, but certainly not by everyone, including in my own personal experience. When you say "vibration" I guess you mean "judder", which is almost always because the discs have become contaminated by pad deposits, and normally that's because the pads aren't being worked hard enough. Squeal is actually vibration at a relatively high frequency and my contention is that it's often linked to poor brake maintenance rather than it being an inherent trait of the pad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.