I'm in love with a Subaru - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Other Vehicles > Non-Mitsubishi Vehicles

Old 30-10-2019, 12:38   #1
zestyfesty
Senior User

I'm in love with a Subaru

We have recently replaced our pranged 125i with a 2017 BRZ Performance Pack.
It's an intriguing little car.
The PP turfs the standard brakes and sources the Impreza STi Brembos and rotors (on a car weighing 250kg less), replaces the OEM dampers with Sachs ZF, shortens the final drive from 4.1.1 to 4.3.1 and adds a set of pretty 10 spoke alloys. In crystal pearl its a very pretty little car imo.

Wife is very happy - it's not in any way onerous to potter around in, with a lighter gearbox action than the BM and a less tricky clutch pick up point. Good looking, accurate and easy was how my wife put it.

My only reference point for lightweight sports cars are 911s, which are a far more serious proposition both financially, and in outright performance. But I'm smitten with this car. Driving position is just spot on, low too. Everything falls to hand naturally, the pedals are well placed for heal and toeing, the wheel is small and you sit square at it, good feel and feedback, and it certainly feels significantly faster a rack the the Evo. Gearbox throw is short, lightish, but doesn't have that rifle bolt action of the Evo. The brakes allow very precise modulation and the feel is outstanding for an assisted setup.

Centre of gravity feels super low, even with standard ride height. It's fun and engaging going slowly around town. In the hills at speed it is so intuitive to drive quickly. The engine needs to have 5k on board to make rapid progress but its even fabulous to rediscover a small atmo engine that loves to rev. The front end on this car is just outstanding. Every little steering input at speed illicits an immediate response, combined with the car's low mass, short wheelbase and very adjustable chassis at the grip limit it gives this car a real sense of playfulness. It's just bloody fabulous to drive. It is also mechanically simple; no driver modes, no exhaust fart fakery, a torsen diff is about as tricky as it gets.

Thanks Toyota/Subaru! This car is a breath of fresh air and has made me think hard about what it is I truly value in a driver's car.
The Following User Says Thank You to zestyfesty For This Useful Post:
river evo 6 (30-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: