Engine cut out and hesitation - unresolved - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 18-01-2020, 11:25   #16
nplatenkamp
Senior User

My Car
The crank sensor is axial to the crank sensor blade, but even then the play must be big to fail.
But maybe the gap was set to the max. so 1 mm play could be enough.

Last edited by nplatenkamp; 18-01-2020 at 11:27..
nplatenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-2020, 08:25   #17
zestyfesty
Senior User

Please don’t quote me but apparently factory tolerances for longitudinal movement of the crank was < 0.4mm for ‘end float’ and my engine has been measured at 1.5mm. That’s way beyond tolerances and may explain the striker plate/sensor signal problem leading to engine cut
The Following User Says Thank You to zestyfesty For This Useful Post:
djmisio85 (20-01-2020)
Old 20-01-2020, 08:39   #18
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by zestyfesty View Post
Please don’t quote me but apparently factory tolerances for longitudinal movement of the crank was < 0.4mm for ‘end float’ and my engine has been measured at 1.5mm. That’s way beyond tolerances and may explain the striker plate/sensor signal problem leading to engine cut
1.5mm most certainly is a lot, but I'd be very sceptical that it's the cause of the problems you describe in your first post. Nevertheless it sounds like an engine rebuild is needed anyway.
Old 27-01-2020, 09:14   #19
zestyfesty
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
I’m interested to know how the wear on the thrust bearing has been shown to give an “inconsistent” signal to the crank sensor. Crank walk on a IV engine is well known, but thought it was rare on later models. What’s the amount of wear/amount needed to upset the crankshaft sensor?
The wear of the thrust bearing was severe. In fact it had deformed so badly that the ledge it sits in on the crank surface just below the centre main bearing was itself worn down.

Apparently 57 thou of longitudinal movement in crankshaft, triple factory allowance.

My mechanic had his lightbulb moment when at the lights, in neutral, he depressed the clutch to select first and the engine stalled. Apparently Evos use a pull (on the crank) clutch and this led to the diagnosis.
Old 27-01-2020, 11:55   #20
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by zestyfesty View Post
The wear of the thrust bearing was severe. In fact it had deformed so badly that the ledge it sits in on the crank surface just below the centre main bearing was itself worn down.

Apparently 57 thou of longitudinal movement in crankshaft, triple factory allowance.

My mechanic had his lightbulb moment when at the lights, in neutral, he depressed the clutch to select first and the engine stalled. Apparently Evos use a pull (on the crank) clutch and this led to the diagnosis.
Unquestionably you have a serious bottom end issue, but I'm still dubious about what if any effect this had on a crank sensor signal. More likely, in my view, the hesitation under acceleration was caused by a similar kind of side thrust on the crank ie that caused an increase in friction and a drop in revs resulting from it - the same kind of thing as happened when your mechanic depressed the clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: