getting an MOT without a cat - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 20-11-2020, 11:22   #16
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & MR2 Roadster - Previously: Evo9, Evo5, 2 x Evo2, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Very very hard if not impossible to pass a genuine UK Mot emissions test without a cat despite what some are saying, ive heard of people spending a lot of time playing around with the mapping specifically to try and get it through but cant remember if it did eventually pass or not, the numbers it needs to hit on emissions cat test are so tight that without a good working cat or a friendly/dodgy mot tester you wont get it through.
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-11-2020, 11:24   #17
jackg
User

Thanks thyrant. Does anyone have a suitable Cat I could buy?
ta
Jx
jackg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jackg For This Useful Post:
Arronevo8 (20-11-2020)
Old 20-11-2020, 11:47   #18
4g638

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozz57 View Post
Does this mapping adjustment apply to other Lancer models ? Can the Ralliart Sportback be tweaked in this way as I run the car decatted but put the cat back on for the mot.
Cheers
Brian.

Any setup on an ecu that has the right features in its software and can be re-mapped, can be adjusted/mapped to present the desired values.

Marios
Old 20-11-2020, 11:50   #19
4g638

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
Very very hard if not impossible to pass a genuine UK Mot emissions test without a cat despite what some are saying, ive heard of people spending a lot of time playing around with the mapping specifically to try and get it through but cant remember if it did eventually pass or not, the numbers it needs to hit on emissions cat test are so tight that without a good working cat or a friendly/dodgy mot tester you wont get it through.

Then those people did not know what they were actually doing, if one is competent with a specific ecu/software and is aware of the specific MOT requirements, then emissions can be passed without a catalytic converter, it makes no difference what the demanded values are and it does not take much time either, and I do know this because I have actually done it myself. A catalytic converter converts CO, CO2 by oxygenizing it, it also partially retains NOX and HC, if one in his tuning manages to retain low enough CO,CO2 and HC levels, then imperatively NOX will also be at minimal levels and thus all emissions will be within the MOT requirements.

And something on catalytic converters. These were firstly used widely on production cars in the 80s. They were created as a means to protect the environment, but also as another selling product/part that would inevitably fail in its life and would need to be replaced. It was created because the fuel composition and formulas of that age was very polluting ito the environment mostly because it contained a lot of lead. Due to this fact, a filter-converter needed to be made to reduce the excessive polluting effect of leaded fuel formulas of that age. Catalytic converters used to fail much sooner back then than they do today, mainly due to lead. Also benzene and other hydrocarbons were not as refined as they are today, and most cars were carburated and without an ecu unit. But even later on when most cars got an ecu unit, the unit was not as capable and consistent in retaining an idle i.e of certain emission output without a catalytic converter. The converter although modified as today's fuel are not using lead, was kept to this day by the automotive industry because it continues to bring money in and they have no reason to abolish it whatsoever, on the contrary they also installed it on diesel cars also.

Marios

Last edited by 4g638; 20-11-2020 at 12:26.. Reason: typo
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 12:20   #20
Tom Dick
NR555

Car: Evo VII, forged at NR with a 3076
My Car
Regardless an UK MOT requires a car to have a cat fitted AND pass its emissions, passing emissions alone is not good enough to pass an MOT.
If your beliefs bring comfort to your heart, Then who am I to try and tear your world apart? I wish you well in your endeavours and your life, And I'll leave you to yours if you leave me to mine, It's not your place to impose religious law on the rest of us like so many have before, and it's equally not my place to say you're wrong I don't have to read your book and you don't have to like this song
Tom Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Dick For This Useful Post:
gordonm (20-11-2020)
Old 20-11-2020, 12:28   #21
4g638

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dick View Post
Regardless an UK MOT requires a car to have a cat fitted AND pass its emissions, passing emissions alone is not good enough to pass an MOT.

Same here, so he needs to find a good working order cat , preferably one for his evo model.

Marios
Old 20-11-2020, 13:55   #22
Arronevo8
Senior User

Car: Std vi imported january 12 mint and very nice in white
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
ta
Jx
My sell mine its mint off my Vi 37,000 kilometers but p&p as there heavy. So make a offer.
Arronevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 14:12   #23
Gg3001
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
ta
Jx

https://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/

£75 last time I bought one..
Gg3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 18:30   #24
squeakyclean32
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo 9... New Project :)
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Dodgy git
Mita (21-11-2020)
Old 21-11-2020, 10:24   #25
evo/nut
MLR Registered User

Car: EVO VII FQ300 - SOLD * EVO VIII MR FQ340 - SOLD * EVO IV - SOLD * EVO IV - SOLD * EVO VIII MR FQ340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goginawa View Post
There’s one at SVA imports for 26k minus TME seats
Not sure how accurate SVA website is says the IX is arriving Jan 2020

Hopefully some will go ahead.......
evo/nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 15:59   #26
r3k1355
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g638 View Post
Unless the law is indicative and states that one needs a catalytic converter present so as for the car to be able to take the MOT test,
Yes the MOT test says if the Catalyst is missing it's a straight fail.
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r3k1355 For This Useful Post:
Aidy (21-11-2020)
Old 21-11-2020, 16:52   #27
Goginawa
Zero Fighter

Car: EVO IX FQ 320
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo/nut View Post
Not sure how accurate SVA website is says the IX is arriving Jan 2020
Missed that !😁😁😁
Goginawa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goginawa For This Useful Post:
evo/nut (21-11-2020)
Old 22-11-2020, 00:00   #28
Aidy
Senior User

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Yeah it's easy to get a car's emissions to MOT level without a cat, the fact that cats are fitted to every car is just a massive scam, they're redundant, a few tweaks to the ECU is all that's needed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 08:20   #29
Barry P.
Senior User

Car: Red Evo IX GT, Silver Evo 2 GSR, Radical SR3, Van Diemen Formula Ford,and a big "Datsun".
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Yeah it's easy to get a car's emissions to MOT level without a cat, the fact that cats are fitted to every car is just a massive scam, they're redundant, a few tweaks to the ECU is all that's needed
Marios should be working for all the major car manufacturers, look how much money he could save them 😂😂
Dakarbug (22-11-2020), Goginawa (22-11-2020)
Old 23-11-2020, 00:07   #30
Sephiro
Senior User

Car: Evo X SST 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry P. View Post
Marios should be working for all the major car manufacturers, look how much money he could save them 😂😂
Some say he recently worked for VW/Audi

Seriously though the VW/Audi scandal shows that it is potentially possible to cheat emissions tests by changing the ECU to reduce the engine power output (albeit that was for diesels, however the same principles should apply for petrol) - whether your 50 bhp Evo would have enough grunt to make it onto the testing ramp might be another matter.
Sephiro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sephiro For This Useful Post:
Aidy (23-11-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: