getting an MOT without a cat - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
 
 

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 11:22   #16
thetyrant
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cumbria....
Car: BMW 130i & MR2 Roadster - Previously: Evo9, Evo5, 2 x Evo2, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Posts: 16,895
Very very hard if not impossible to pass a genuine UK Mot emissions test without a cat despite what some are saying, ive heard of people spending a lot of time playing around with the mapping specifically to try and get it through but cant remember if it did eventually pass or not, the numbers it needs to hit on emissions cat test are so tight that without a good working cat or a friendly/dodgy mot tester you wont get it through.
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 20-11-2020, 11:24   #17
jackg
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London
Posts: 81
Thanks thyrant. Does anyone have a suitable Cat I could buy?
ta
Jx
jackg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jackg For This Useful Post:
Arronevo8 (20-11-2020)
Old 20-11-2020, 11:47   #18
4g638
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
My Car
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozz57 View Post
Does this mapping adjustment apply to other Lancer models ? Can the Ralliart Sportback be tweaked in this way as I run the car decatted but put the cat back on for the mot.
Cheers
Brian.


Any setup on an ecu that has the right features in its software and can be re-mapped, can be adjusted/mapped to present the desired values.





Marios
__________________
" Go tell the Spartans,passerby,that here by Spartan law we lie. " Leonidas I son of Anaxandritas II and king of Sparta,really proud to be his descendant!
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 11:50   #19
4g638
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
My Car
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
Very very hard if not impossible to pass a genuine UK Mot emissions test without a cat despite what some are saying, ive heard of people spending a lot of time playing around with the mapping specifically to try and get it through but cant remember if it did eventually pass or not, the numbers it needs to hit on emissions cat test are so tight that without a good working cat or a friendly/dodgy mot tester you wont get it through.

Then those people did not know what they were actually doing, if one is competent with a specific ecu/software and is aware of the specific MOT requirements, then emissions can be passed without a catalytic converter, it makes no difference what the demanded values are and it does not take much time either, and I do know this because I have actually done it myself. A catalytic converter converts CO, CO2 by oxygenizing it, it also partially retains NOX and HC, if one in his tuning manages to retain low enough CO,CO2 and HC levels, then imperatively NOX will also be at minimal levels and thus all emissions will be within the MOT requirements.




And something on catalytic converters. These were firstly used widely on production cars in the 80s. They were created as a means to protect the environment, but also as another selling product/part that would inevitably fail in its life and would need to be replaced. It was created because the fuel composition and formulas of that age was very polluting ito the environment mostly because it contained a lot of lead. Due to this fact, a filter-converter needed to be made to reduce the excessive polluting effect of leaded fuel formulas of that age. Catalytic converters used to fail much sooner back then than they do today, mainly due to lead. Also benzene and other hydrocarbons were not as refined as they are today, and most cars were carburated and without an ecu unit. But even later on when most cars got an ecu unit, the unit was not as capable and consistent in retaining an idle i.e of certain emission output without a catalytic converter. The converter although modified as today's fuel are not using lead, was kept to this day by the automotive industry because it continues to bring money in and they have no reason to abolish it whatsoever, on the contrary they also installed it on diesel cars also.









Marios
__________________
" Go tell the Spartans,passerby,that here by Spartan law we lie. " Leonidas I son of Anaxandritas II and king of Sparta,really proud to be his descendant!

Last edited by 4g638; 20-11-2020 at 12:26.. Reason: typo
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 12:20   #20
Tom Dick
NR555
 
Tom Dick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lincolnshire
Car: Evo VII, forged at NR with a 3076
My Car
Posts: 7,376
Regardless an UK MOT requires a car to have a cat fitted AND pass its emissions, passing emissions alone is not good enough to pass an MOT.
__________________
If your beliefs bring comfort to your heart, Then who am I to try and tear your world apart? I wish you well in your endeavours and your life, And I'll leave you to yours if you leave me to mine, It's not your place to impose religious law on the rest of us like so many have before, and it's equally not my place to say you're wrong I don't have to read your book and you don't have to like this song
Tom Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Dick For This Useful Post:
gordonm (20-11-2020)
Old 20-11-2020, 12:28   #21
4g638
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
My Car
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dick View Post
Regardless an UK MOT requires a car to have a cat fitted AND pass its emissions, passing emissions alone is not good enough to pass an MOT.

Same here, so he needs to find a good working order cat , preferably one for his evo model.





Marios
__________________
" Go tell the Spartans,passerby,that here by Spartan law we lie. " Leonidas I son of Anaxandritas II and king of Sparta,really proud to be his descendant!
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 13:55   #22
Arronevo8
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/ireland ballykelly
Car: Std vi imported january 12 mint and very nice in white
My Car
Posts: 3,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
Thanks thyrant. Does anyone have a suitable Cat I could buy?
ta
Jx
My sell mine its mint off my Vi 37,000 kilometers but p&p as there heavy. So make a offer.
Arronevo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 14:12   #23
Gg3001
Senior User
 
Gg3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
My Car
Posts: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
Thanks thyrant. Does anyone have a suitable Cat I could buy?
ta
Jx


https://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/

£75 last time I bought one..
Gg3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 18:30   #24
squeakyclean32
Regional Organiser
 
squeakyclean32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TDC...
Car: Evo 9... New Project :)
My Car
Posts: 5,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Dodgy git
__________________
Take Care Everyone & Stay Safe
squeakyclean32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squeakyclean32 For This Useful Post:
Mita (21-11-2020)
Old 21-11-2020, 10:24   #25
evo/nut
MLR Registered User
 
evo/nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South London
Car: EVO VII FQ300 - SOLD * EVO VIII MR FQ340 - SOLD * EVO IV - SOLD * EVO IV - SOLD * EVO VIII MR FQ340
Posts: 3,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goginawa View Post
There’s one at SVA imports for 26k minus TME seats
Not sure how accurate SVA website is says the IX is arriving Jan 2020
__________________
SHOWS 2021

Hopefully some will go ahead.......
evo/nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 15:59   #26
r3k1355
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g638 View Post
Unless the law is indicative and states that one needs a catalytic converter present so as for the car to be able to take the MOT test,
Yes the MOT test says if the Catalyst is missing it's a straight fail.
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r3k1355 For This Useful Post:
Aidy (21-11-2020)
Old 21-11-2020, 16:52   #27
Goginawa
Zero Fighter
 
Goginawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Car: EVO IX FQ 320
My Car
Posts: 12,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo/nut View Post
Not sure how accurate SVA website is says the IX is arriving Jan 2020
Missed that !😁😁😁
__________________
MAPPED BY ORACLE
evoless ,now something on a different Note
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Goginawa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goginawa For This Useful Post:
evo/nut (21-11-2020)
Old 22-11-2020, 00:00   #28
Aidy
Senior User
 
Aidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Garden of England (by the compost heap)
Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Posts: 38,767
Yeah it's easy to get a car's emissions to MOT level without a cat, the fact that cats are fitted to every car is just a massive scam, they're redundant, a few tweaks to the ECU is all that's needed
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 08:20   #29
Barry P.
Senior User
 
Barry P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere on a race circuit.
Car: Red Evo IX GT, Silver Evo 2 GSR, Radical SR3, Van Diemen Formula Ford,and a big "Datsun".
My Car
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Yeah it's easy to get a car's emissions to MOT level without a cat, the fact that cats are fitted to every car is just a massive scam, they're redundant, a few tweaks to the ECU is all that's needed
Marios should be working for all the major car manufacturers, look how much money he could save them 😂😂
__________________
"Welcome my son,welcome to the machine."
Barry P. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry P. For This Useful Post:
Dakarbug (22-11-2020), Goginawa (22-11-2020)
Old 23-11-2020, 00:07   #30
Sephiro
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Paisley
Car: Evo X SST 330
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry P. View Post
Marios should be working for all the major car manufacturers, look how much money he could save them 😂😂
Some say he recently worked for VW/Audi

Seriously though the VW/Audi scandal shows that it is potentially possible to cheat emissions tests by changing the ECU to reduce the engine power output (albeit that was for diesels, however the same principles should apply for petrol) - whether your 50 bhp Evo would have enough grunt to make it onto the testing ramp might be another matter.
Sephiro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sephiro For This Useful Post:
Aidy (23-11-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 23:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.