Slight whine in 3rd gear - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 21-10-2020, 14:10   #1
AdsEvoX

Slight whine in 3rd gear

I've had an RAC inspection done on the Evo X I'm looking to buy and on the report it's come back as a slight whine in 3rd gear. It's the manual 360, 60k miles and serviced at 59k. I can't go and test drive myself so can't provide any more info but from your experiences is this something that will lead to a gearbox rebuild soon or is it a simple issue to fix? Going from personal experience a slight whine lasted me a couple years before having to worry about it.

Last edited by AdsEvoX; 21-10-2020 at 14:22.. Reason: Addition
AdsEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-10-2020, 14:53   #2
r3k1355
Senior User

Without hearing or driving it in person I don't think anyone could tell you over the internet.
I guess all you can do is decide if the condition of the rest of the car is decent enough for you, then do some more thorough inspection into the gearbox when you buy it.

Otherwise walk away.
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 18:42   #3
AdsEvoX

Thanks for the reply. The rest of the car is in great condition, a few niggles but nothing to turn away. I'll keep doing more research on it before going ahead.
AdsEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-10-2020, 19:05   #4
Humps85
Senior User

I wouldn’t invest in a car such as an Evo without driving it myself (admittedly I’m no expert) or having say so off someone who knows there Evo’s. I would say the RAC are far from Evo experts.
Humps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Humps85 For This Useful Post:
Stallion (21-10-2020)
Old 21-10-2020, 20:08   #5
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Look in the Traders list for Transmission Dynamics and maybe give Clive a call. He knows everything about Evo boxes and will always give you sound and honest advice.
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: