Anyone here got the Chinese virus? - Page 6 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Non-Lancer Chat

Old 22-03-2020, 16:40   #76
jdm4life
Senior User

I've been socially isolating for 20 years.

Will be people having meltdowns who aren't used to their own company if it increases.
Mita (22-03-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-03-2020, 17:00   #77
stevebt
Senior User

My Car
My missus has been complaining forever that we need to empty our freezer down as it’s always full to the brim and it’s an American style freezer, I think now will be the perfect time to eat thru it’s contents
stevebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 17:36   #78
gaz007
Senior User

Car: evo 6 tme ,gems ecu ,mapped by steve simpson,,380bhp 359lb ft t apexi ebc,
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebt View Post
My missus has been complaining forever that we need to empty our freezer down as itís always full to the brim and itís an American style freezer, I think now will be the perfect time to eat thru itís contents
Old 23-03-2020, 13:46   #79
DanHawkes
Durgo

Car: 2000 Red Evo 6 TME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Because people can't be sensible and implement social distancing themselves, the government has had to step in and enforce it by shutting down restaurants, cafes, pubs etc. Thing is, I was at the supermarket today and the supermarket has become the pub...lots of groups of people standing around chatting about the weather, where Margret is going on holiday and how there is no toilet paper. People just don't get it. We're all doomed.

Also gutted the gyms are closed too, I was going to sign up to one as I had to knock an old man out to get the last punnet of strawberries.

Covid-19 is also having a devastating impact on the construction industry. I drove 400 miles on Friday, of which maybe 150 were through roadworks and it was shocking....not a single person out, not a spade being plunged nor pickaxe being swung. There was no "work" going on at all, simply mile after mile of cones by the side of the road and constant reminders that Big Brother is making sure we don't go over 50.
Much of the road works you see are for large scale works of which a lot happens at night. The closures that you see out are for large long term works that require lane closures. To install these and remove these closures for each shift be it day or night takes a lot of time and causes further disruption to the travelling public. The time it takes to install and remove the closures also diminishes the working window in which the works can take place thus increasing the duration of a project and causes increased travel disruption. By also not installing and removing closures reduces massively the exposure of the traffic management operatives to the travelling public. This is also the reasoning for the 50mph speed restrictions. Much as it's more exciting to say its big brother, the government or some other high level secret organisation are monotoring traffic through narrow lanes it's actually there to protect the workers. Believe it or not, a lot of the travelling public don't pay attention to signage stating 50mph through roadworks, but they do pay attention to cameras (most of the time). Theres nothing much more exciting than the screach of tyres when you're working wondering if you're about to be wiped out. It's human nature to go into autopilot and not see cones, flashing lights and large brightly coloured TM trucks. It seems in fact that this TM paraphernalia is actually a magnet for errant vehicles. If you worked there, you'd likely be quite glad measures were in place to keep vehicles at 50mph while you worked rather than the free for all speeds people do.
DanHawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 15:11   #80
Aidy
Senior User

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHawkes View Post
Much of the road works you see are for large scale works of which a lot happens at night. The closures that you see out are for large long term works that require lane closures. To install these and remove these closures for each shift be it day or night takes a lot of time and causes further disruption to the travelling public. The time it takes to install and remove the closures also diminishes the working window in which the works can take place thus increasing the duration of a project and causes increased travel disruption. By also not installing and removing closures reduces massively the exposure of the traffic management operatives to the travelling public. This is also the reasoning for the 50mph speed restrictions. Much as it's more exciting to say its big brother, the government or some other high level secret organisation are monotoring traffic through narrow lanes it's actually there to protect the workers. Believe it or not, a lot of the travelling public don't pay attention to signage stating 50mph through roadworks, but they do pay attention to cameras (most of the time). Theres nothing much more exciting than the screach of tyres when you're working wondering if you're about to be wiped out. It's human nature to go into autopilot and not see cones, flashing lights and large brightly coloured TM trucks. It seems in fact that this TM paraphernalia is actually a magnet for errant vehicles. If you worked there, you'd likely be quite glad measures were in place to keep vehicles at 50mph while you worked rather than the free for all speeds people do.
Thanks for the explanation as why 20 miles of road is coned off with reduced limits to work on a mile of it for a few hours at night.

Why don't you get the people that install the speed cameras to fix the roads too? They're hella efficient workers that get those cameras up quick smart
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post:
gaz007 (23-03-2020)
Old 23-03-2020, 16:01   #81
DanHawkes
Durgo

Car: 2000 Red Evo 6 TME
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation as why 20 miles of road is coned off with reduced limits to work on a mile of it for a few hours at night.

Why don't you get the people that install the speed cameras to fix the roads too? They're hella efficient workers that get those cameras up quick smart
I'm with you mate. The cameras that are currently in place on the M27 have generated thousands of fines and they will be there for a good while yet.Yes it would be good for that money to go into maintenance.

I can't really make comment on other areas, but the network in the south - M27, A34, M4, M3, A3, A31, A303 requires a certain long winded to process to be followed to get a pot hole temporary filled with cold applied bitmac (classed as a make safe repair). To allow this to be done requires a certain process to be followed which requires either a rolling road block (RRB) to be provided by the HE traffic officers or the police themselves. The latter often have much better and pressing things to do than provided RRBs to get a pothole filled. The days of operatives sampering out into gaps in live traffic to dump a tub of bitmac are thankfully long gone.......and I've done it - can be quite exciting!!
DanHawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanHawkes For This Useful Post:
Aidy (23-03-2020), gaz007 (23-03-2020)
Old 23-03-2020, 16:08   #82
grants
Senior User

My Car
Quote:

grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 18:33   #83
Mick-87
Senior User

Quite funny seeing the amount of people queing to buy one last McDonalds today before it shuts at 7pm. Luckily the local McDonalds is next to a Aldi store and is easy to pick up some more toilet roll with a big mac..

All we need now is a bank run for the county to finally collapse.
Mick-87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick-87 For This Useful Post:
gaz007 (23-03-2020)
Old 23-03-2020, 18:46   #84
gaz007
Senior User

My Car
Is it true Russia and Singapore closed borders in January.Russia has zero covid deaths and Singapore has 1.
Old 23-03-2020, 18:47   #85
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick-87 View Post
Quite funny seeing the amount of people queing to buy one last McDonalds today before it shuts at 7pm. Luckily the local McDonalds is next to a Aldi store and is easy to pick up some more toilet roll with a big mac..
Maybe companies shouldn't announce that they are shutting down to stop the last-minuters.

Quote:
That's already happened in the States. Apart from bank runs the next thing will be panic buying of petrol. I don't know about you, but the fact that no-one can buy food or medicines isn't enough for someone as selfish as me, I want to make sure Ambulances can't get the fuel they need either.
Old 23-03-2020, 18:47   #86
gaz007
Senior User

My Car
Quote:

I didnt cave to my youngest wanting to go and then She heard that Subway were shutting down aswell.
Old 23-03-2020, 18:56   #87
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz007 View Post
Is it true Russia and Singapore closed borders in January.Russia has zero covid deaths and Singapore has 1.
There is a correlation between countries with strong borders and low incidences of covid-19. The BBC has done not one article on "Why Italty?" discussing why Italy has suffered so much and neither mentions lax border controls.

In France the "no-go" areas are rife with people ignoring g'ment advice and the police can do nothing, they can't issue the fines they've been issuing to others for fear of violent reprisal.

What is making this a big a problem as it is is the lack of community feeling, something that people have been warning is a result of mass immigration for years only to be called "racist". Now the chickens are coming home to roost.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post:
CursedChris (23-03-2020), gaz007 (25-03-2020), interbishi (30-03-2020), j dog (24-03-2020), jdm4life (09-04-2020), Mita (23-03-2020)
Old 23-03-2020, 19:23   #88
Mita
Senior User

Spot on

Quote:

What is making this a big a problem as it is is the lack of community feeling, something that people have been warning is a result of mass immigration for years only to be called "racist". Now the chickens are coming home to roost.
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 19:39   #89
CursedChris
Senior User

Location: Somewhere in the north west, looking at things i can't buy yet.
Car: Silver Evo 5 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Spot on
How is the recovery going? Has it subsided more? Hope all is well pal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
CursedChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 20:05   #90
Mita
Senior User

Thanks mate

All ok, bloody slow as hell mate. So crazy how hard it is on the immune system. Finally starting to feel better. It didnít hit me too hard in a fever sense , but was hard on the lungs (still is a bit) .

Scary stuff, and I can see why itís killing people. I fear weíve not seen anything yet too.

I hope youíre staying safe, as is everyone else. Although with the state of the public I think itís a tall order

Quote:
Originally Posted by CursedChris View Post
How is the recovery going? Has it subsided more? Hope all is well pal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
CursedChris (23-03-2020), dreMR (23-03-2020), johnd (24-03-2020), peeler (25-03-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: