Lancer Register Forum banner

Loeb's recce Evo 6

7K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  kins 
#1 ·
#15 · (Edited)
This car wouldn't have been competitive anywhere, so this doesn't make sense. The car is not a Group-A car. Heck, it doesn't even appear to be Group-N spec (note the stock Brembos), so why would Citroen pay a WRC Works driver to drive a near stock car from another company, competitively?

As far as I can tell for mods, it's got the cage/race interior, some big-buck dampers, an exhaust, possibly some reinforcement at the front shock towers, some AN fuel line, once had some shields underneath, and other minor stuff. It says "never mapped", so I doubt any anti-lag has been added. No mention of what transmission it has, but with that mileage, I would bet it's still a synchro box.

The photos add *some* credibility to the story, but if Loeb and/or Sainz drove this car, I would think it was used for practice if anything. No word whatsoever on spec or what upkeep has been done, which is extremely harmful to the value of a race car. With a thorough description, overview of history and some actual photos, this car could do well. Until then, it's just a used LHD Evo that's seen 43,000 km.

#16 ·
This car wouldn't have been competitive anywhere, so this doesn't make sense. The car is not a Group-A car. Heck, it doesn't even appear to be Group-N spec (note the stock Brembos), so why would Citroen pay a WRC Works driver to drive a near stock car from another company, competitively?

As far as I can tell for mods, it's got the cage/race interior, some big-buck dampers, an exhaust, possibly some reinforcement at the front shock towers, some AN fuel line, once had some shields underneath, and other minor stuff. It says "never mapped", so I doubt any anti-lag has been added. No mention of what transmission it has, but with that mileage, I would bet it's still a synchro box.

The photos add *some* credibility to the story, but if Loeb and/or Sainz drove this car, I would think it was used for practice if anything. No word whatsoever on spec or what upkeep has been done, which is extremely harmful to the value of a race car. With a thorough description, overview of history and some actual photos, this car could do well. Until then, it's just a used LHD Evo that's seen 43,000 km.
It's what was used to recce the stages back in the day to get pace notes etc,all the teams used to use evo's or subaru's as it was the closest road car to what they were ralling in ,i think it's uber cool:mhihi:

#18 ·
thing is with recce cars they where properly looked after ,most will have wanted for nothing ,they had to be looked after ,they got more abuse than the rally cars ,all these things did the stages at least twice and on most events where used by the gravel/ice crews to tweek the drivers notes before they drove the stages a few hours later
OK the mileage will be low ish ,but think some gravel events will see these cars do 1000 miles a weekend on rough gravel roads ,,2 or 3 weeks time do the same again

are they worth owt ,im not sure, they where well used and i bet 20+ years down the line there more than likely utterly worn out now

#22 ·
I know evo prices have taken a big hit over the last couple of years with cars becoming hard to shift but this seems to be going extremely cheap for what it is....if this doesn’t do good money then the evo market really is knackered. I don’t recall a car with this history / provenance being available before and it’s just seemed to get a Luke warm response.
Perhaps the underlying rott issues on these cars really has sealed their fait in the investor market now.

#23 ·
The thing is... that car wasn't used as a rally car, it was just a recce car, so it's not going to be worth anything close to a WRC car. With that said, does the seller actually have solid proof that it is one of (as there were probably a few of) an actually reccce car used by the Loeb or Sainz.

To me it looks right... but I'd need to see more photos and documents as evidence.
The car would benefit from a proper ad and maybe going through a better channel than ebay but it will be interesting to see what it sells for non-the-less.

#27 ·
Usually when throwing sand in the eyes, i.e. not presenting any evidence (not even interior pictures or some pictures of front rails, front suspension, floorpan, its good indicator that if you were to see it- you would be concerned.

I asked the gent for info, he never replied.
Deliberately obviously.

He has no clear record anywhere, he is "nobody" that can be easily found on internet, let alone an enthusiastic rally/race team or former rally team employee or driver.

The car is battered, and may or may not be TME: VIN number was not disclosed, it was titled as 2001 Carisma GT.
My Evo 6.5 TME RS2 was titled as Lancer Evo not a Carisma.

Carisma GT was definitely a name referenced in EU, but in my experience in the earlier days of 1998/1999, by 2000/2001 it was common to call it a Lancer Evo.

I was sincerely interested in it, up to maybe 25K, if the vin was demonstrably TME RS and provenance was proved.

Like this 2% buyer got a cool provenance, 98% buyer got beat up Evo 6 (non TME) with no clear traceability and connection to LOEB.

For the money it sold, add restoration, and ..honestly many wonderful cars to be had for the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.