How good or bad is SST? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 19-10-2019, 21:14   #1
Aj82
Senior User

How good or bad is SST?

I personally love a manual box. Enjoy some back road blasts with me making a manual gear change when required.
I work for vw and their dsg boxes are very good and other than the clutches being alittle weak there isn't much that goes wrong with them.
However I have heard a few horror stories about the SST boxes. Would love a manual but seem to be quite difficult to find at the price and spec I would like etc but come across alot of SST versions.
Would be grateful if anyone would give their personal experience and the up and downsides to each box version please. Is it worth me waiting to find the right car in a manual?

Cheers Aj
Aj82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-10-2019, 22:14   #2
Aidy
Senior User

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Everybody says about horror stories, not sure where people are reading these horror stories (CNN?) as I don't see any.

Downsides...in practical terms they don't take a lot of torque in standard trim, but like anything a little money fixes that if required. You can get uprated clutch packs that can handle ample amounts of torque.

Other than that? Only positives. Faster, more fun, better driving experience. What's not to love? Add to that the manual is only available in 5sp and has a diff pin issue that will need addressing.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 22:57   #3
Aj82
Senior User

Thanks Aidy, so would you say a set of uprated clutch packs would cure any worries and give almost trouble free motoring?
Can you also explain the diff pin issue to me please? Haven't heard of that until now?

Cheers Aj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-10-2019, 23:15   #4
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
The diff pins can wear on the X

http://www.autotorque.net/services/e...-upgrade-1690/

If you want trouble-free motoring then get on Shank's mare What I'm saying is that the SST doesn't have any inherent design flaws and it's not prone to failing either. Obviously if it ever does fail it's a bit deal, as is any gearbox failure.
Old 20-10-2019, 00:39   #5
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj82 View Post
I personally love a manual box. Enjoy some back road blasts with me making a manual gear change when required.
I work for vw and their dsg boxes are very good and other than the clutches being alittle weak there isn't much that goes wrong with them.
However I have heard a few horror stories about the SST boxes. Would love a manual but seem to be quite difficult to find at the price and spec I would like etc but come across alot of SST versions.
Would be grateful if anyone would give their personal experience and the up and downsides to each box version please. Is it worth me waiting to find the right car in a manual?

Cheers Aj
I may be well placed to give an opinion on this, as I have no previous twin clutch experience (with cars anyway) before the evo X I have now, as much as I was curious about the sst, I felt I would miss the gear change in a manual, and also feared the horror stories I searched out, but at the time, manuals were too expensive for me to justify, and a 10 SST conveniently came my way, so I ended up with it

Its fair to say, as much as I liked the sst for a change, for a year I regretted my choice, not because I had issues with the sst, just because in my head I wanted to prefer the manual gear change. My car was modded to 380 before I drove it, and was advised to only drive in sport or s-sport when looking online. This was confirmed as 'normal' felt slushy, too much slip

After about a year I got the chance of a manual, but ended up keeping the sst, realising id got to like the sst box, both the lazy convenience of the auto, and the speed of the paddle changes, so I kept my sst with a new outlook. Also from my knowledge of commercial type twin clutches, as a test I went against the above advice, and started driving in normal. My thinking the gearbox ecu is probably always learning, in sport and s-sport, with their higher clamping forces, it was masking any slip the ecu would learn and accommodate for. A few hundred miles, I noticed the 'normal' changes becoming more positive, same for the other modes too. I started to enjoy the box too, as well as appreciate it

Ive now had the car over 3 years, and really like the sst, my car is a daily, and its just a nice car to drive, and the sst is a nice box. It has also been trouble free, the whole car has (touches wood). Dont get me wrong, i'd still like to try a manual 10 to compare, and when pushing the car hard, I still miss the manual gears, 1 long pull though faster in real life, as its so much smoother than a manual, you lose a little feel of acceleration, that you get with the on off nature of accelerating with a manual clutch

Would I change it for a manual - I've thought about it a few times, but so far ive talked myself out of it, I may 1 day, but the SST has grown on me far more than I expected. My fears of unreliability so far have been unfounded. I would also consider another SST, with dodsons, forged and turbo upgrade. My only criticism (which actually doesnt make sense) is I wish S-sport was more aggressive with the changes. I know smoother is better, but more aggressive would make it more of an adrenaline rush

The key with sst i guess is finding a good 1, avoid 1 thats slipping, has issues with changes, or rattles, then keep it serviced more frequently than suggest

Try 1 with an open mind, if its a good 1, it may just impress you

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
Aj82 (20-10-2019), RichW (20-10-2019)
Old 20-10-2019, 09:05   #6
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj82 View Post

Cheers Aj
SSt failures are usually:

1. Clutches... these will wear and you can replace the whole set which will end up setting you back a couple thousand
2. Twin mass tq damper is a known fault... best changed along with the clutch.. Normally it makes a knocking noise on idle..
3. We have seen failures with some temp sensors inside the SST electronics... which is cured by changing the whole valve body..
4. fork magnets can fall off
5. bad mapping will damage the clutches and lead to other damage so be very very carefull who maps the car as you can not map just the engine.

Another issue with this box is that you can not change the interior oil filter without taking the whole box apart. This leads to a lot of dirt inside the box. REgular oil chages do help but again.. the oil filter is the issue..

AS far as how it drives, that is personal choice..
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
Aidy (20-10-2019), Aj82 (20-10-2019), plip1953 (21-10-2019)
Old 20-10-2019, 09:57   #7
Aj82
Senior User

Thanks for all the input, think I might go try an SST Box and see how I feel in it.
Coming from only manuals but having driven various vw and audi dsg cars it got me thinking.
Especially when it's hard to find a manual X at the right price in the spec I would like.
Appreciate all the input guys, thank you.

Cheers Aj
The Following User Says Thank You to Aj82 For This Useful Post:
the kitch (26-10-2019)
Old 20-10-2019, 15:12   #8
kikiturbo
Senior User

My Car
you should try both.. in my opinion SSt and manual are very different to drive... SST is like small GTR..
Old 20-10-2019, 17:48   #9
sonetts
Senior User

Just to add to the mix, if your SST box does fail and the costs are too much, it is neither easier or cheaper to convert to a manual box.
sonetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 18:11   #10
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetts View Post
Just to add to the mix, if your SST box does fail and the costs are too much, it is neither easier or cheaper to convert to a manual box.
If your SST fails it'll probably cheaper just to buy a new car
The Following User Says Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post:
Realbadman (20-10-2019)
Old 20-10-2019, 19:38   #11
RichW

Car: E6 GSR -> E9GT -> e46 M3 -> M3 CSL -> E6 RSII / M-Sport BMW / GIXXER 750 K5
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
I may be well placed to give an opinion on this, as I have no previous twin clutch experience (with cars anyway) before the evo X I have now, as much as I was curious about the sst, I felt I would miss the gear change in a manual, and also feared the horror stories I searched out, but at the time, manuals were too expensive for me to justify, and a 10 SST conveniently came my way, so I ended up with it

Its fair to say, as much as I liked the sst for a change, for a year I regretted my choice, not because I had issues with the sst, just because in my head I wanted to prefer the manual gear change. My car was modded to 380 before I drove it, and was advised to only drive in sport or s-sport when looking online. This was confirmed as 'normal' felt slushy, too much slip

After about a year I got the chance of a manual, but ended up keeping the sst, realising id got to like the sst box, both the lazy convenience of the auto, and the speed of the paddle changes, so I kept my sst with a new outlook. Also from my knowledge of commercial type twin clutches, as a test I went against the above advice, and started driving in normal. My thinking the gearbox ecu is probably always learning, in sport and s-sport, with their higher clamping forces, it was masking any slip the ecu would learn and accommodate for. A few hundred miles, I noticed the 'normal' changes becoming more positive, same for the other modes too. I started to enjoy the box too, as well as appreciate it

Ive now had the car over 3 years, and really like the sst, my car is a daily, and its just a nice car to drive, and the sst is a nice box. It has also been trouble free, the whole car has (touches wood). Dont get me wrong, i'd still like to try a manual 10 to compare, and when pushing the car hard, I still miss the manual gears, 1 long pull though faster in real life, as its so much smoother than a manual, you lose a little feel of acceleration, that you get with the on off nature of accelerating with a manual clutch

Would I change it for a manual - I've thought about it a few times, but so far ive talked myself out of it, I may 1 day, but the SST has grown on me far more than I expected. My fears of unreliability so far have been unfounded. I would also consider another SST, with dodsons, forged and turbo upgrade. My only criticism (which actually doesnt make sense) is I wish S-sport was more aggressive with the changes. I know smoother is better, but more aggressive would make it more of an adrenaline rush

The key with sst i guess is finding a good 1, avoid 1 thats slipping, has issues with changes, or rattles, then keep it serviced more frequently than suggest

Try 1 with an open mind, if its a good 1, it may just impress you

Stu

Great write up Stu - i am looking at buying a 911 and as good as ppl say the PDK is i am tempted to buy a manual as i also feel i will miss the involvement. Issue is you are really restricted if going manual as there arent many around and many dont have the other options i would want.

Food for thought. Thanks
stu8 (20-10-2019)
Old 20-10-2019, 20:14   #12
kikiturbo
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichW View Post
Great write up Stu - i am looking at buying a 911 and as good as ppl say the PDK is i am tempted to buy a manual as i also feel i will miss the involvement. Issue is you are really restricted if going manual as there arent many around and many dont have the other options i would want.

Food for thought. Thanks

I have had the pleasure of driving the 991 series 911 in all major versions (turbo S with PDK, gt3 with PDK, Carrera manual, Carrera S PDK, 911 R with manual, Carrera T manual..) and out of all those the Turbo S was the car where PDK felt natural as it was such a beast of the car that you just nedeed the PDK... Also the engine was just so well setup for the pdk.. worked well togeather..

In other cases I just loved the involvement of the manual... even the unloved 7 speed one.. It just made me think about driving more and planning ahead.. Sure, pdk is faster, but how fast can you go on a normal road..
Old 20-10-2019, 20:22   #13
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
EVO <X owner: *spends £1,000 on a sequential shifter* *spends £2,500 on a ballbearing turbo*

EVO X owner: *gets sequential shifting and zero turbo lag built in*

EVO <X owner: I just prefer the feeling you get from slow gear changes and turbo lag
Old 20-10-2019, 20:47   #14
Aidy
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post
Sure, pdk is faster, but how fast can you go on a normal road..
It's not about absolute speed, we all own cars that are breaking the law after 5 seconds. It's about getting through corners and challenging road sections quicker and with more fun. The twin-clutch setup makes the car accelerate faster through gears and keeps the car more settled and balanced going down the box. It lets you keep your hands at 9&3 and focus more on traction, steering, and other finer points of making driving fast and fun, while still keeping a focus on gear selection, rev management etc.

It's funny how everyone buys an evo to drive fast then pours scorn on advancements that make it even faster.

Edit: And of course if you really want to use a stick to change gears you don't have to use the paddles, you can still use the stick so that's not much of an excuse either.

Last edited by Aidy; 20-10-2019 at 20:49..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post:
jen evo (20-10-2019), Steve mr375 (21-10-2019)
Old 20-10-2019, 21:46   #15
jen evo

My Car
Personally I love my sst so much fun to drive and like aidy says you can keep your hands on the wheel and hammer it through the corners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aidy (20-10-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: