Bought a bit of a dog evo 4 - Page 4 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Projects & Restorations

Old 14-11-2019, 12:00   #46
r3k1355
Senior User

That looks fairly clean in the pictures to be fair.

A bit of surface rust around the filler and some chips and scratches on the lower bumper.
The air intake is scabby but you can pop that out and give it a spray of fresh paint.
Pity the previous owner went abit mad with paint in the engine bay, but you can sort most of that.

There's some white gunk around the expansion bottle, whats up with that?
Also is the expansion bottle empty?
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-11-2019, 13:46   #47
Evo(v)
User

Car: Standard evo iv
My Car
I will have to check that out a little closer, just changed the front shocks for cusco coilovers it feels a lot better but still bangs really hard like proper cringey bang, solid metal, gotta be bushes?

Also the wheels I put on are evo 18" wheels, only did a quick run out n they have nearly ripped the rear bumper off and catch all the time, guessing 17" is the biggest you can go on a iv? They stick out too far anyway, just wondering what wheels to get now, I don't know anything about them as I've always stuck with standard wheels in the past, but I'm putting brembos on this
Evo(v) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 14:01   #48
r3k1355
Senior User

Wheels off a 7 fit just about, apparently you're best using 225 tyres with those otherwise you get some rubbing.

Brembo's generally need the 17" wheel

Last edited by r3k1355; 14-11-2019 at 14:02..
Old 14-11-2019, 15:59   #49
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3k1355 View Post
That looks fairly clean in the pictures to be fair.

A bit of surface rust around the filler and some chips and scratches on the lower bumper.
The air intake is scabby but you can pop that out and give it a spray of fresh paint.
Pity the previous owner went abit mad with paint in the engine bay, but you can sort most of that.

There's some white gunk around the expansion bottle, whats up with that?
Also is the expansion bottle empty?
thing is that "BIT "of surface rust is from the inside, its a comman place to rot on earlys and when its coming thro from the underneath as can be seen its a VERY bad sign and like i said not easy to repair
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to super rover For This Useful Post:
Mita (14-11-2019)
Old 14-11-2019, 20:13   #50
Evo(v)
User

My Car
I took a picture of the back of the filler cap area

Name:  20191114_112133.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  7.16 MB

These are the wheels I put on the evo iv, not sure which evo if any they came on

They have 225/40/18 tyres on and stick out plus rub

Guessing 215 /45/17 arebthe best to use? Some say 40 profile is bad why is this? Because of the harsh ride? Some say the 45 profile runs?

I have done a bit of a search but there's too many contradictions and I really can't afford to be buying 2 full sets of tyres to find out, I'd rather the 45 for a slightly softer ride to be honest

Name:  Screenshot_20191114-200735_Gallery.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  1.39 MB
Old 14-11-2019, 20:14   #51
Evo(v)
User

My Car
Also how do I resize the images? It does not give me the option when I upload them, thanks
Old 15-11-2019, 21:43   #52
Evo(v)
User

My Car
Lost my tail lights and all the lights on the first twist that brings on the little bulbs in the headlights and the dash lights

The brake lights reverse light and the main night time driving headlights still work but that's it, anyone know where it could have failed?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram they can send me please?
Old 16-11-2019, 10:24   #53
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
Download manuals from here
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 11:20   #54
Blood Speed

Car: evo8mr remap brakes suspension
My Car
Resizing pictures is easy even for a pc dunce like me. get your photo up on your gallery, right click and go into paint, then click on resize then pixels and resize to say.. 720 vertical and 540 horizontal...save... job done, takes a few secs.

Also am curious why you would buy a car that's got so many issues, that's gona cost you a small fortune and a whole load of headaches and endless energy and time and for what at the end. Its no vintage one off. How much did you pay for it ? or is that too embarrassing to divulge.
Old 17-11-2019, 00:50   #55
Evo(v)
User

My Car
£3,750 I didn't know it had this many issues with it until I owned it, I didn't check over everything, plus I could have bought a shinier one with the same botched up wiring hidden away ready to go anytime, how I see it is, I've bought a load of parts for it so they are all bang on, as I go through the car I know what I've replaced is mint, I like them and plan on keeping it for a very long time, when I'm happy with it and the kids don't require a pram or nursery at £1600 a month I'll maybe get a v or vi as well as this, who knows?

I don't think £3,750 is a lot but the niggles still annoy me and would even if I got the car for free I'm not going to say aww man I love it when that happens haha referring to the drivers seat belts not retracting, I will iron them out as I go I'm on this forum because I thought it was like other forums, useful help as and when you needed it,

Regards the pictures I'm not on a pc, on my mobile phone
Old 17-11-2019, 07:43   #56
Mita
Senior User

As I’ve said before , I have to be honest I’m amazed you bought it after saying you’d been down that road before. However what’s done is done. What’s the latest on the shell? Have you removed any underseal from the rear chassis rails or inside round the filler cap? Don’t just take someone else’s word for it. Jack the ****er up and get scraping and prodding with a driver. Then and only then will you know what you have to do. If you leave it with a resto company it will be in bits and then it’s too late and completely worthless
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 21:45   #57
Evo(v)
User

My Car
It's with advanced motor developments in wigan, they specialize in evos, he has a evo running 660bhp on original engine, he will contact me before any work is started with a quote, like I said the car that stung me poked holes absolutely everywhere in a normal mot situation, I had it inspected, he said it was solid I'm happy so far and if it does need any welding it will most likely be small amounts, no evo is completely worthless just because it's stripped,

I bought it because he had it up on the ramps when I got there and from what I could see it was under sealed and felt solid I took it home and not it again the next day to double check.
Old 18-11-2019, 11:31   #58
r3k1355
Senior User

£3750 is a decent buy, keep the budget in check and you'll be alrite.

There's always a bunch of odd little problems when you're buying something old, fast and relatively cheap. It's when they progress to more serious issues things go abit sideways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo(v) View Post
Lost my tail lights and all the lights on the first twist that brings on the little bulbs in the headlights and the dash lights

The brake lights reverse light and the main night time driving headlights still work but that's it, anyone know where it could have failed?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram they can send me please?
Check the earthing points first, could be simple like something loose or just abit corroded.
Old 18-11-2019, 17:46   #59
daveyheats
User

Watching this thread closely. Good luck with the resto, and hopefully your bravery pays off in the end mate!
daveyheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 19:33   #60
McGoo60
Senior User

I can’t understand the negativity! Not everyone can or wants to shell out top money for a minter then not use it and put it in a carcoon! I bought mine as a rolling shell and built it up to my spec, lots of work but it’s mine and I built it, not just sent it to a tuner with a blank cheque. I’m very happy and proud of mine and in total it’s cost me a lot less than some peoples invoices just for building an engine.
McGoo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McGoo60 For This Useful Post:
Coggy (21-11-2019), Evo(v) (18-11-2019), r3k1355 (19-11-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: