Tell me everything I need to flash a E5 ecm - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > ECU / Mapping

Old 20-09-2018, 02:14   #1
MLEND5

Tell me everything I need to flash a E5 ecm

Hey Gents,

Greetings from the US! So I have this E5 I brought down from Canada. It has a confirmed E7 engine and Iím on the oem E5 ECM. Now Iíve done custom mapping, fuel trims, timing logs etc etc on different machines but when it come to this E5 I have zero support for here in the US.

I just want a plain as day list of cables, websites, downloads, etc etc, I need to have to be able to start fine tuning the map in this ECM. I would really like to take a look at what exactly itís doing.

Also, would there be any advantage to getting a different ECM say from an E8? Or just tune with what I got.

I want to here what everyone has to say being Iím a clean slate for this kind of project and being that Iím in the US I have no support for what I want to do.

Thanks!!
MLEND5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-09-2018, 06:44   #2
rjwkerkhof

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLEND5 View Post
Hey Gents,

Greetings from the US! So I have this E5 I brought down from Canada. It has a confirmed E7 engine and Iím on the oem E5 ECM. Now Iíve done custom mapping, fuel trims, timing logs etc etc on different machines but when it come to this E5 I have zero support for here in the US.

I just want a plain as day list of cables, websites, downloads, etc etc, I need to have to be able to start fine tuning the map in this ECM. I would really like to take a look at what exactly itís doing.

Also, would there be any advantage to getting a different ECM say from an E8? Or just tune with what I got.

I want to here what everyone has to say being Iím a clean slate for this kind of project and being that Iím in the US I have no support for what I want to do.

Thanks!!
Send me a PM I might be able to give you some kind of kickstart!
rjwkerkhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 11:14   #3
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & ST185 GT4 RC - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Im pretty sure you can just use ECUflash and with a Taxtrix Openport2 unit for datalogging and flashing the ecu on a Evo5, i know on my old Evo5 i used it to datalog to check all was safe but never got around to reflashing a tune on it before selling.

See here - http://evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii...t-20-usb-cable
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thetyrant For This Useful Post:
Mita (21-09-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-09-2018, 12:30   #4
Mita
Senior User

Not really looked at this before. Just had a read through, sounds interesting.:

Am I right in saying then, that with this software you can log everything?

So for example I was to put a cone filter on my car and an exhaust on its stock map, I could see what effect it has? Like for example knock, AFR etc?

I canít see that itís compatible with Mac unless anyone knows different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
Im pretty sure you can just use ECUflash and with a Taxtrix Openport2 unit for datalogging and flashing the ecu on a Evo5, i know on my old Evo5 i used it to datalog to check all was safe but never got around to reflashing a tune on it before selling.

See here - http://evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii...t-20-usb-cable
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 13:30   #5
thetyrant
Senior User

Car: BMW 130i & ST185 GT4 RC - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Not really looked at this before. Just had a read through, sounds interesting.:

Am I right in saying then, that with this software you can log everything?

So for example I was to put a cone filter on my car and an exhaust on its stock map, I could see what effect it has? Like for example knock, AFR etc?

I can’t see that it’s compatible with Mac unless anyone knows different?
You should be able to log all factory sensors from what i remember, however AFR is not monitored accurately by stock narrowband 02 sensor though (just for idle fueling trims really) , it might be possible but using a wideband and using its narrowband output into factory loom (what i did on my Evo2) but i dont know though.

I would run seperate wideband for AFR usually anyhows.
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thetyrant For This Useful Post:
Mita (21-09-2018)
Old 21-09-2018, 13:36   #6
Mita
Senior User

Thanks Ian, itís just to get it on the road for the time being without having to remap and **** about .

I will look in to it, thanks for the response.

Long term plans are aftermarket anyway so no stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
You should be able to log all factory sensors from what i remember, however AFR is not monitored accurately by stock narrowband 02 sensor though (just for idle fueling trims really) , it might be possible but using a wideband and using its narrowband output into factory loom (what i did on my Evo2) but i dont know though.

I would run seperate wideband for AFR usually anyhows.
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 04:07   #7
MLEND5

Hey thanks for the replies guys. That’s kind of what I was thinking. Mainly I just want to have the capability of flashing the ecm to further enhance its current tune. Also, anybody have an idea how to get an E5 ECU to have launch control?
Old 24-09-2018, 07:05   #8
rjwkerkhof

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLEND5 View Post
Hey thanks for the replies guys. Thatís kind of what I was thinking. Mainly I just want to have the capability of flashing the ecm to further enhance its current tune. Also, anybody have an idea how to get an E5 ECU to have launch control?
Setting up the launch control is rather easy when you switch to Ceddy's ROM. Easiest way to start is to copy over your current fuel and ignition tables to Ceddy's ROM, from there you can setup the launch control with "Ceddy's setup bits". You can setup AFR control and timing retard and also switch On ALS during launch if you want.
rjwkerkhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 01:11   #9
MLEND5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwkerkhof View Post
Setting up the launch control is rather easy when you switch to Ceddy's ROM. Easiest way to start is to copy over your current fuel and ignition tables to Ceddy's ROM, from there you can setup the launch control with "Ceddy's setup bits". You can setup AFR control and timing retard and also switch On ALS during launch if you want.
Oh ok that sounds like a good start. When I say that Iím fresh to all this I really mean it lol. So if I download the EvoScan program and get the Taxtrix cable 1.3 ,if Iíve read correctly, then I should be able to datalog and flash the ecu right?

If I wanted to add 2 step or launch control then thatís where that Ceddy comes into play? I just download that and move my current tune onto that right? I have a AEM wide band and that would be pretty awesome to get that to be part of the datalog.

Heck guys I canít even figure out how send a private message on here, itís been so long. I was pretty active when DSMTuners came onto the scene but thatís literally been like 12 years now.

If I had a step by step process on how to do this computer stuff I think I could handle it. Itís when I have to search for all the bits and pieces is when it gets confusing.

I really appreciate all the insight Iíve gotten so far. I think in the near future Iíll be logging and tuning soon.
Old 25-09-2018, 18:37   #10
fraguzz
Senior User

Car: Lancer evo 5GSR TEIN,EDFC,ROTA,APEXi,c.o.p,Walbro
My Car
you dont want the 1.3 cable for your E5 it will only do logging not remap.. tatrix 2.0 is the one for you!

And yah did my first ECU stuff on my E5.. changing to ceddy! still on that was quite easy.. well at that time there was this website with all the info.. forgotten the name.. a member in here ran it..

Yah you get launch control with ceddy.. i would recomend going with 10-12degrees for the 2step its on 20 on ceddy stock.

My wideband zitronix work with ecuscan so i can log my wideband together with my log from the car on same log!

I use Ecuflash to do my editing. there is some definition files to be aware of when switching to ceddy btw.
fraguzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 06:35   #11
VR-4Squid

Car: CP9A Evolution V
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraguzz View Post

My wideband zitronix work with ecuscan so i can log my wideband together with my log from the car on same log!
How do you do that? Is the wideband wired into the factory loom, or is there some other way?
Old 01-10-2018, 18:59   #12
MLEND5

Does anyone know if you can use the 1.3 cable on an E5 ecu and be able to live log with it? The idea of data logging and then having to access the log separately seems like a pain. Am I understanding this correctly for the 1.3 cabele that I would be able to tune real time? Then in order to flash the changes to the ecm I’d just have to use the 2.0 cable?
Old 01-10-2018, 23:42   #13
Nickevo5

Hello all I am also new to this stuff. I have the tactrix openport 2.0 cable I am able to read and store the cars current rom file.
However, I don't know how to create the log file with parameters, I copied some online and tried logging and got a logout file generated, the logout file was in .txt format, how is the csv file generated?
Can an example be given for a log file that I can use and I will attempt to edit from there.
The car is an evo 5 1998
Nickevo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:03   #14
And

Car: Evo VIII GSR, Black with red leather interior, Do-Luck wide arch kit, Rota GTR rims 265 tyres
My Car
Send a message via MSN to And
As previously mentioned you have to use an openport 2 cable on the evo 5 and 6 ecus to map them. You can't livemap them either, this was only available for the later cars. As also mentioned have a look at evoscan for logging. Look for "merlins evo mapping guide" it will give you an idea of where to start.
Andy
And is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:39   #15
Nickevo5

Thank you I will look into evo scan and the guide
Nickevo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: