Shakey_Jake188's 600+bhp Tommi Makinen Progress Thread - Page 5 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 18-05-2018, 20:03   #61
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey_Jake188 View Post
It's not just about the suspension, it's the whole car set up. When I first used the Ohlins they were amazing on the road and very comfortable but on track I had a lot of understeer and found they were also a bit soft and gave a fair amount of body roll which was expected for them to be comfy on the road. They come stock with 10/8 kg/mm springs which I soon changed to 10/10 this helped a good amount but it was still understeering on track.
yes, the ohlins is setup wrong from the factory, even though the Ohlins representative on the forum tends to inisist it isnt so... we even run it with 8/10...
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kikiturbo For This Useful Post:
Shakey_Jake188 (30-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-05-2018, 15:43   #62
Cryptwalk

Car: Trackd Evo 7
My Car
Send a message via MSN to Cryptwalk
#j2
Cryptwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cryptwalk For This Useful Post:
Greeny-o (23-05-2018), kins (23-05-2018), Shakey_Jake188 (30-05-2018), Stoff (24-05-2018), Unobtainium (22-05-2018)
Old 23-05-2018, 19:22   #63
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Hi Jake, Just read your post about noise testing and then the engine in the CTR - ouch I feel for you. Had my fair share of powertrain woes so I can feel the pain there.

I've also had a similar journey moving from the Ohlins DFV's with caster adjustment top mounts to the 3 way Nitrons and experienced the same when I used the Ohlins. They are a bit soft for enthusiastic track work IMO. I'm not sure on my spring rates on the Nitrons but I find they ride well on the road - not too hard at all.

Hope you get things sorted soon and the bills are manageable - wishing you the best of luck matey.

Last edited by kins; 23-05-2018 at 19:23..
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kins For This Useful Post:
alpinaturbo (24-05-2018), Shakey_Jake188 (30-05-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:09   #64
Shakey_Jake188
Senior User

Car: BRSCC Mazda mx5 Race Car #188, Evo 6 Tommi Makinen Edition and Evo 5 GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kins View Post
Hi Jake, Just read your post about noise testing and then the engine in the CTR - ouch I feel for you. Had my fair share of powertrain woes so I can feel the pain there.

I've also had a similar journey moving from the Ohlins DFV's with caster adjustment top mounts to the 3 way Nitrons and experienced the same when I used the Ohlins. They are a bit soft for enthusiastic track work IMO. I'm not sure on my spring rates on the Nitrons but I find they ride well on the road - not too hard at all.

Hope you get things sorted soon and the bills are manageable - wishing you the best of luck matey.
Thanks Kins, Be good to know your spring rates if you find them out, would help me decide what to put in mine. They normally have the code wrote on the spring, you can reference them to the Eibach catalog to get the rates.

https://eibach.com/uk/sites/eibach.c...log_global.pdf

https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=535560

Last edited by Shakey_Jake188; 11-06-2018 at 12:38.. Reason: Forgot link
Shakey_Jake188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:15   #65
Shakey_Jake188
Senior User

Not much happening lately, I have been using it as my daily driver. The Nitrons are probably a bit to hard for that though but it's been fun! I have purchased a new exhaust which should be under 100db on the static noise test at the track, it's a Russ fellows system with the larger silencer options. I did ask if he would fit an extra silencer but he wasn't having it 🤣 looks a work of art, although with it being the straightest exhaust you can get for a 6 it goes under the propshaft.... with my car being so low this might not be a good thing .

Before this gets fitted I've been out enjoying the noise of the old exhaust you don't need trackdays when you have local roads like this!

I have booked to do the Javelin Sprint Series at Blyton park for next week. My first time there, looking forward to it!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Shakey_Jake188 For This Useful Post:
evolover21 (12-03-2019)
Old 08-11-2018, 19:04   #66
Shakey_Jake188
Senior User

Hi guys,

Lack of updates I know but have posted most stuff in separate threads with videos.

To keep them in one place.....

The Javelin sprint series at blyton park was the highlight finishing first in class. Not a day without it's problems. The car sprung a water leak from the radiator just before lunch, it was caused by the intercooler pipe rubbing on the rad. It was quite bad and i was topping up the water regularly so I had to head to a halfords over the lunch break to buy some chemical metal to stop the leak. Working through my lunch it was patched up and good to go. I should point out i got this TIG welded up after the event.

This was the first real time to use the Nitron 3 ways and the new wheel alignment after not being allowed on track at the croft sprint! Totally new track to me so it's hard to set up suspension like that, in fact it's pointless as I need to Learn the track first! They were set at Nirtons recommended settings for most of the day changed from the soft road settings I have been using.

Car handled beautifully in the morning, when you are going 80-95% driving effort it feels like the car has endless grip and sticks to the track. Pushing on in the afternoon soon found the limits of grip, looking back at the vids you can see I was trying too hard going into corners waaaaaay to fast but it was fun smoother driving would have been faster bit who cares when you are having fun . It's also worth noting the tyre squeel seems to be the location of the microphone, it's no where near as bad if I don't use the mic or move it to a different location.

Here's the vid of the day.

https://youtu.be/YO7wI-McxKo

1st in class and 4th overall on the day and only 4 seconds off the winning Omega Evo and 2 seconds off a mental powered Arial atom with paddle shift finishing ahead of a 600bhp per ton kit car is a good result for a car I drove to the circuit, slept in the passenger seat in my sleeping bag, drove home afterwards and drive to work the next day is super impressive to me.
Moving up to the extreme tyres everyone is starting to use would be a good upgrade over the R888r's that have done a shed load of road miles!

Pics in coming....

Let me know if the Vids/Pics are working please embedded videos don't seem to work for me anymore. Will write up something on TOTB next....

Last edited by Shakey_Jake188; 08-11-2018 at 19:19..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shakey_Jake188 For This Useful Post:
evolover21 (12-03-2019), JasonL91 (10-11-2018), Realbadman (10-11-2018), Unobtainium (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:13   #67
Unobtainium

My Car
Well done Jake...and to the honda integra that was only 3 seconds off you

Ison Neal Honda Integra Type R J06 1:08.82

Here's jonny's Dad's run who just pipped you

Last edited by Unobtainium; 10-11-2018 at 12:18..
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtainium For This Useful Post:
JasonL91 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 16:53   #68
Shakey_Jake188
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
Well done Jake...and to the honda integra that was only 3 seconds off you

Ison Neal Honda Integra Type R J06 1:08.82

Here's jonny's Dad's run who just pipped you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ4P8mTttUc
Yes I spoke to Neal, he went well but confessed to knowing blyton like the back of his hand not far off his dad's time who was in a westfield hyabusa turbo. The Integra was certainly punching above its weight considering what it was faster than it's good to see though.

Cheers for the lap, will over lay it with mine when I get a chance. I didnt think I'd like blyton but enjoyed it, will head back sometime.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shakey_Jake188 For This Useful Post:
Unobtainium (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 02:35   #69
Unobtainium

My Car
We certainly have different driving styles Jake!

Realbadman (11-11-2018)
Old 04-03-2019, 12:46   #70
Shakey_Jake188
Senior User

Well, it's been a while.....

Found a vid on an old SD card of me blowing my transfer box up at Ten of the best 2018. I think it got bored of being sat in ques all day and decided to end it's life

I put a late entry in for TOTB, I had competed in Javelin Sprint Series at Blyton park only the weekend before and wasn't 100% on entering, but since the car was okay I put an entry in on the Monday. Unfortunately I could only enter the Saturdays event where as the main event is on the Sunday.

Not to worry. Heading down to Elvington airfield in the Evo Saturday morning was met with torrential rain, far from ideal when their is a top speed section of the event . I was fully expecting the event to be cancelled but fortunaly later in the day the sun came out.

TOTB is based on 1/4 time, top speed and times on the handling circuit. Having only entered Saturday's 'boot camp' means I couldn't compete in Sunday's event unless you WIN the boot camp. Which means getting the most points out of all the disciplines. After not checking the times for most of the day (coz I couldn't find where the organisers put them) to my surprise I was leading the boot camp entrants!!! And ended the day with the most points and a free entry into Sunday's event!

Rude not to come back the next day.

Similar to Saturday. Sunday has lots of torrential rain with it looking like the event would be cancelled but no, later in the day it would dry up. I turn up late around 11 after seeing Saturday didn't kick off till the afternoon. Even driving to the event on r888r's saw a lot of aquaplaning, slippy conditions. I wait until it's dry for some runs on the handling course. First run is just getting used to where they put the cones as they change it from Saturday.
Second run. Get to the end of the run and it sounds like gearbox/driveshaft problems, look under the car to a pool of oil..... transfer box has given up...... does it drive? Nope. That's the end of the day for me.

Call the RAC for recovery. He turns up. Refuses recovery...... ****.

Call a company local to Newcastle and whilst I wait head to to pub for a pint or a few whilst I wait

Met some decent people on the day. Got to say the Javelin Sprint Series I'm used to are organised much better but it was still and experience. Some of the cars there are mental!!!!

Vid here (nothing special lol)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shakey_Jake188 For This Useful Post:
evolover21 (12-03-2019), GARY-8MR (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 12:50   #71
Shakey_Jake188
Senior User

Some good pics came from some of the photographers

Last edited by Shakey_Jake188; 07-03-2019 at 07:55..
evolover21 (12-03-2019), GARY-8MR (04-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 07:51   #72
Shakey_Jake188
Senior User

Anglesey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A pretty epic 500 mile round trip in the Evo from Newcastle to North wales for the Javelin Sprint Series. It was a major task getting the car ready in time after blowing the transfer box up at Ten of the Best a few weeks back, I ordered a Transfer box with a Cusco plated front diff which two days before leaving for Anglesey I was informed it was never going to arrive! Lost in the post apparently....

A mad rush to find a transfer box local ment the only one I could find had a open diff with not much choice it was bought and with a series lack of time I was still fitting it one hour before leaving for Anglesey!

Not going to lie I thought the sprint was on the Sunday and it turned out it was on Saturday so I ended up leaving work early on Friday (when I realised!) to fit the diff

The car handled the trip surprisingly well, and since I took my girlfriend with me this time we even stopped for a night in Liverpool on the way back, Mind she wasn't best pleased she had to leave a day early either due to my mix up I even got a parking ticket for leaving the car in the safest place in Liverpool I could find over night!

That's why I love this car, 100% practical and driveable! Don't strip out your track cars kids, keep them usable!

The weather stay reasonable all day, no rain just very windy as it usually is at Anglesey! Awesome track, one of the best there is. I've raced here several times back in the day with the BRSCC Mazda championship and love the place always had good results. Never quite set the lap times I was hoping for in the Evo, the open diff in the front was giving one tyre fires coming out of corners and hit the limiter alot as it would just wheelspin. using the Kerbs was a no no as that would cause more wheelspin.

This is the fastest lap slow and smooth and gentle on the throttle trying to drive around the problems. Thanks to Javelin for the well run event! had an awesome time and congrats to all the class winners

Vid here:
https://youtu.be/UgM-PG1I5w4

http://youtu.be/UgM-PG1I5w4

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shakey_Jake188 For This Useful Post:
evolover21 (12-03-2019), JasonL91 (07-03-2019), Lee-C (09-03-2019), M3 ROB (07-03-2019), peeler (07-03-2019), Realbadman (07-03-2019)
Old 14-03-2019, 15:04   #73
Shakey_Jake188
Senior User

Here is my quickest quarter mile from TOTB, well off the fastest cars lol. Not bad for full track setup (lots of camber, dampers set stiff and tyre pressures heigh for the sprint circuit), still some time there with a better launch too.

The Evo has been layed up since Anglesey in October. But came out for a few photos with my mate before Christmas.

JasonL91 (14-03-2019), M3 ROB (14-03-2019)
Old 18-03-2019, 14:01   #74
Shakey_Jake188
Senior User

Haven't really done any large winter mods as last winter I got the car pretty close to how I want it performance wise. So this year is just a tidy up. I was never a fan of the XXR's in shadow chrome so had them powder coated in black and sold the r888rs to swap for another track tyre. Except change of plan means they have been sat for a while.....

Cheers to stella coatings for the awesome job!

Last edited by Shakey_Jake188; 18-03-2019 at 14:23..
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: