AYC Pump Rebuild - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 01-09-2017, 13:55   #16
Padge

So i have finished cleaning and replacing the internals on the pump, everything seemed to go back together well enough.

Put it back on the car today, (before i fitted it i put some oil into it via the two pipes that normally connect to the reservoir) and im not getting any action from the pump, when i press the accelerator there is no noise from the pump like you would normally expect.

I shorted the ODB2 and read the codes from the acd lights, i have

45 - pressure sensor system
72 - directional control valve right open or short circuit
73 - directional control valve left open or short circuit
82 - pump malfunction or sensor failure

I have checked all the plugs and everything seems connected correctly.
For now i have disconnected both the power and main connectors for the pump to prevent any damage.

I was wondering if anyone had any quick ideas for me to try.

Thanks
Padge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 13:59   #17
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
first, you need to try running the pump outside of the car.... put oil in the inlet hose and connect the pump to 12 V... the motor should run and you should hear the pump pump up untill the overpressure vavle opens... (it will slow down as the pressure rises) This way you can confirm that the mechanical part is working ok..

is this a 7/8/9 pump?

if the pressure sensor is broken the pump will not start at all.. so various wiring problems can give you your simptoms..
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 14:33   #18
Padge

This an 8 pump. Where abouts is the pressure sensor part? Wiring all seems ok as i disconnected everything then bagged and stowed the loom out of the way for protection.

Is there anyway i can test the pump on the car? Havent really got time to take it off again, I am due to go away with work in a couple of days, so theres a potential this may just get left for a couple of months till i'm back.

Cheers
Old 01-09-2017, 15:51   #19
kikiturbo
Senior User

My Car
just connect it to 12 V while on the car... the big 2 way plug with thick wires.. you can listen to it run..

one thing.. sometimes they are hard to get the air out and pumps will not suck oil in properly.. so you can have a good pump that will not take oil in from the reservoar.. this is due to the stupid oil inlet design..

sensor is next to the pressure bulb..
Old 01-09-2017, 19:37   #20
Padge

Thanks for the reply, so initially when i fitted the pump, i decided i was going try and do the bleed with the test box i bought with the kit. The pump didnt run, so then i decided to plug it in as it would be for normal use, and still nothing.

If there is a lot of air trapped, is there anyway i can resolve this with the pump still fitted to the car?
Old 01-09-2017, 22:48   #21
kikiturbo
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padge View Post
Thanks for the reply, so initially when i fitted the pump, i decided i was going try and do the bleed with the test box i bought with the kit. The pump didnt run, so then i decided to plug it in as it would be for normal use, and still nothing.

If there is a lot of air trapped, is there anyway i can resolve this with the pump still fitted to the car?
If the motor will not run when connected to 12v then it is either broken or the pump is stuck due to bad overhaul or bad parts... You need to check that the pump turns freely... Remove the motor and try running it.. Also check with a screwdriver that the pump turns freely . With the motor off of course
Old 14-11-2017, 16:49   #22
Padge

Hi again,

Reviving my post now as I am back from my trip with work. So today I took off the motor, tried that connected to 12v and that spins freely, used a screwdriver on the pump and turned all of that with a screwdriver. All seems to be fine.

Is it possible i have fitted the bearing badly which is preventing it from turning when its attached?

Using a test box or the car to motor the pump, there is no sound.

Thanks
Old 16-11-2017, 13:12   #23
richyx
Senior User

you can have the bolts to tight so you are clamping the gears into the plate which is then scoring it and jamming up, as well if it spins freely when you put motor on you apply more clamp force from the motor bolts and when it tries to pressure fluid theres even more force inside cuaisng it to jam up

the pressure sensors are fragile, any dirt or voltage spikes and they are dead im afraid they are only 5v

the code 72 sounds like your directional valve is sticky or stuck and cant operate as it should be its being held in one position to long

you cant really go wrong with the bearing on the shaft unless you push it to far on as then the motor stat shaft pushes against the drive shaft creating more pressure on the gears and plate

also make sure the plate is correct way round as well as the centre housing matches the grooves on the plate as it will fit both ways but only work one way
richyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 16:41   #24
Padge

So I have taken the pump apart again today, and there is the possibility I may have tightened it together too much. But the problem seems to be that the motor won't turn the gears under load. I tried turning everything manually and I came across a stiff point, after a bit of jiggling and re fitting, the gears turn smoothly now, so I put everything back together and tried powering the motor, but nothing again.

When I apply the power I can feel the motor clunk and try to turn then stop, and when power is turned off you can feel it return to a rest position. Is it possible that the motor isn't providing enough power to turn under load? When the motor is separate and power applied it turns fine.

Cheers
Old 17-11-2017, 16:56   #25
kikiturbo
Senior User

My Car
did you change the motor bearing?

you might have not pressed the bearing on enough..

also, it is impossible to overtighten the pump body because the gear clearence is built in by the depth of the hole in which the gear sits.... if the gears will not turn then it is either that you have sanded down the pump body and thus removed the built in clearence, or the pump plate is not flat enough..

take the mid part of the pump off and put the motor on, tighten those two togeather and see if the motor turns..

also, take some pics so we have a better idea what is going on..
Old 17-11-2017, 19:17   #26
Padge

Yeah the bearing was changed and i think it is on enough, i measured from the top of the bearing to the top of the motor part, and it was 11mm.

Pretty sure i haven't sanded down the pump body too far as i just cleaned it all up really, and the plate etc appears fitted correctly as it is all flush when screwed together.

I held the mid part and the motor together before and it didn't turn the gears, but maybe thats because they weren't together tight.

When i next take it apart i'll take some pics.
Old 17-11-2017, 21:02   #27
richyx
Senior User

you have tightened the body to much, you cant take too mucg material off becuase the plate sits on an o ring

you can over tighten the centre housing down pressing the gears against the plate and the centre housing

if you have the bearing on to much the motor shaft is longer so will compress the centre shaft against the middle of the plate when you tighten the motore up

been here so many times before and seen it done so many times

i bet if you take that apart you have some deep scoring on the plate aswell as some scoring on the centre housing where the gear run

what would be worse is if any scoring ios in the centre of of the plate where the key way is on the pump shaft for locating the gears, see if theres a groove in the plate from that which means over tightened and the motor bearing is pushed on to far and motor bolts are to tight

where aboust are you?
richyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 13:07   #28
Troublemaker

Car: Evo 7 GSR
Hi everyone!

Can you help me please. I'm rebuilding my pump now and there is a problem with the oil seal in electric motor, the one that is 10x28x4mm. It is written NOK bc5605e and i can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone knows where to find a replacement for that oil seal?

Thanks in advance
Troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 13:59   #29
katadikos
Senior User

Car: evo IX
Ant at Indigo GT and the guys of Ross Sport are your best bet. Get in touch!
katadikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 14:46   #30
Troublemaker

Car: Evo 7 GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadikos View Post
Ant at Indigo GT and the guys of Ross Sport are your best bet. Get in touch!
Thanks, will send them a request.
But they are quite far from me, so if anyone knows if the seal from other model fits or some kit includes the same seal - it would be great, will try to find it in Russia, while Evo is in the service
Troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: