Fuel cut/ Boost cut or something else? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 03-05-2020, 08:21   #16
Steviej
Senior User

Car: Evo6
If you havn't done so already, check the filter sock fitted to the fuel pump inside the tank.
Steviej is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steviej For This Useful Post:
The Rock (03-05-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2020, 08:41   #17
20watt TME
Senior User

My Car
As said above mate. Mine had the same issues. Turned out I had a rusty tank and it clogged the filter. Worth checking.
20watt TME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20watt TME For This Useful Post:
gaz007 (03-05-2020), The Rock (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 08:54   #18
jmhar
User

Car: Evo VI Tommi Makinen Edition
My Car
Both good suggestions ^^

Definitely worth checking fuel tank and both filters if you've not already done so.
jmhar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmhar For This Useful Post:
The Rock (03-05-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 12:06   #19
The Rock

Car: Evo 6 tommy makinen Norris designs 500bhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhar View Post
Both good suggestions ^^

Definitely worth checking fuel tank and both filters if you've not already done so.
Quick update. I checked the filter in tank and it looks pretty dirty compared to when it went in, so I ordered a new one along with a new fuel pump. I also ordered a new under bonnet fuel filter which I did not bother to check, just going to replace as its never been done.
While driving yesterday the fuse popped again and melted the new fitting. I replaced it so I could get home and the same happened again as I pulled in to the drive. The new pump had arrived but the filter was the wrong size so I fit the new pump (old filter) thinking it could be the pump itself gone bad, but it popped the fuse after just 2 minutes running at idle.
Checked the electrics with the voltmeter and there were no shorts, I'm hoping its going to be the fuel filters that I will now wait to arrive for before trying again!
On a positive, the tank had no rust and looked as clean as a whistle inside.
The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 13:15   #20
r3k1355
Senior User

While you wait for the new pump to arrive have a very good check of the wiring, look into hardwiring the pump.
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 13:26   #21
The Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3k1355 View Post
While you wait for the new pump to arrive have a very good check of the wiring, look into hardwiring the pump.
Thanks, it's already hard wired straight from the battery and its that fuse that keeps blowing. Im hoping its the fuel filters that are clogged (causing the pump to draw more current) that is causing the problem with the fuses and my AFRs..
Old 02-06-2020, 19:57   #22
The Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhar View Post
Both good suggestions ^^

I have now replaced the in-tank fuel filter and car has a new pump. Not been able to test the boost yet as still popping fuses! Have been through several 20amp fuses ( fuel pump) and am now on 25amp which does not blow, but gets really hot and starts to melt just on idle. I think this could be a blocked under bonnet fuel filter causing the pump to work harder, what do you think?

I have tried to change the under bonnet fuel filter but have run into some problems. The lower pipe nut is welded stuck! I've used lots of penetrating oil and even with the flare nut spanner it will not budge and is now slipping, so I guess its rounding off
Any tips on what to do next appreciated? I don't want to break the line and have to replace it!
thanks
Old 08-06-2020, 15:23   #23
The Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20watt TME View Post
As said above mate. Mine had the same issues. Turned out I had a rusty tank and it clogged the filter. Worth checking.
I have finally solved my boost cut/ fuel cut problem. I think I had a combination of problems but believe the real issue was the fuel filter in the end, causing the car to run lean and cut.

Below is what I did, made plenty of mistakes along the way but got there eventually!

After experiencing a boost cut/ fuel cut:

1: Check plugs and replaced (probably didn't need to)
2: Replaced leads and coil packs (probably didn't need to)
3: Made a boost leak test kit with an old bit of pipe & compressor and tested for leaks. Found many leaks including the injector seals, the throttle body main shaft, some pipework clamps & dump valve. Fixed all leaks
4: Checked map on the laptop and posted up here. Was told no AFRs could be seen. This turned out to be faulty wideband sensor. Ordered and replaced.
5: Posted up results of road test from map, was told running lean and to check fuel sock and filter.
6: Fuel pump fuses blew and melted twice. This seemed like it could be the pump failing, so I replaced the fuel pump and tank fuel sock (probably didn't need to replace the pump but the filter was black)
7: Fuel pump fuse blew again with the new pump before road test, so finally I replaced under the bonnet fuel filter. ( a bitch to get the bottom nut off, nearly had to cut the line!)
8: Test drove the car with new filter and it runs perfectly again.

So was probably the under bonnet fuel filter, but to be honest, I'm glad I fixed all the other bits on the way. Thanks again to everyone on the MLR
The Following User Says Thank You to The Rock For This Useful Post:
evo/nut (08-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 15:34   #24
sfg
Senior User

My Car
Lived experience and hard won knowledge like that is what makes this [and other forums] fantastic. Glad you're sorted.
sfg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sfg For This Useful Post:
The Rock (24-06-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: