Anybody else been caught up in the coronaviruse - package holiday rip off - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Non-Lancer Chat

Old 30-03-2020, 21:08   #1
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Anybody else been caught up in the coronaviruse - package holiday rip off

Was meant to fly out this morning, week in the sun. Obviously that was cancelled with whats going on, fine, annoying but is what it is. We have guarantees, the tour operator, the atol scheme, the credit card protection....

Nope, tour operator is only offering credit notes that will expire end of July 2020, the credit card wont get involved as there is atol protection. Atol are advising the tour operators (apparently) to offer the credit notes, completely in contradiction with the guarantees we think we have. I have to apply for a refund from the airline, even though I paid the tour operator, and even then, that refund then goes back to the tour operator

There is talk that atol are trying to retrospectively change the guarantees so we arent entitled to our money back, only the credit notes that expire, tour operators arent offering refunds no matter what rule you quote, obviously waiting for the atol changes to get approved

All feels like an absolute con to me, the trust put in Atol was a lie, same for the credit card protection. I know times are unusual, but still, this is just wrong

Anyone else caught up in all this, or anybody in the job that can offer some advice

Tia

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale

Last edited by stu8; 30-03-2020 at 21:16..
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-03-2020, 22:02   #2
willox
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 Rs
My Car
Was supposed to be going to Disney Paris in a couple of weeks,our travel agent called us last week to give us some options which was try for a refund or rebook.Never queried the try for a refund and rebooked for next year instead providing we can get out by then,lol.Does have me wondering if I would get money back if thatís what I asked for.
willox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 07:06   #3
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by willox View Post
Was supposed to be going to Disney Paris in a couple of weeks,our travel agent called us last week to give us some options which was try for a refund or rebook.Never queried the try for a refund and rebooked for next year instead providing we can get out by then,lol.Does have me wondering if I would get money back if thatís what I asked for.
They are making the option of rebook difficult, flights are reclaimed, so we need to sort flights separately, no longer a package holiday, and the flight prices are crazy for anyone who they have 'trapped', though cheap for new customers

Stu

The Following User Says Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
willox (31-03-2020)
Old 31-03-2020, 07:41   #4
Humps85
Senior User

Which company is it ?
Humps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 07:43   #5
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humps85 View Post
Which company is it ?
For me its Love Holidays. But google seems to say many operators are doing similar. They are completely ignoring the regulations. I understand why, but simply stating refunds would just longer and giving a time scale would be so much better than the confusion an disregard for our rights at the moment

Stu

willox (31-03-2020)
Old 31-03-2020, 08:05   #6
Humps85
Senior User

Itís a joke mate ! We are booked with Tui end of June so waiting to see what crap they come with ! No doubt any excuse not to give a full refund !
Humps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 08:11   #7
jdm4life
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post

I have to apply for a refund from the airline
I had this (although not on a tour holiday) trying to get back from Colorado in december. Flight was cancelled at the last minute and the agent here didnt want anything to do with it. They just said contact the airline. I lost excess baggage allowance and had to pay for a mountain bike again at the airport as Id been moved to another airline and the agent in the UK couldnt care less

Luckily the airline helped me out, they can afford it. Although in the current climate that might change.

Good luck.
stu8 (31-03-2020)
Old 31-03-2020, 08:32   #8
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humps85 View Post
Itís a joke mate ! We are booked with Tui end of June so waiting to see what crap they come with ! No doubt any excuse not to give a full refund !
Well from my experience, dont even give it a second thought until 48 hours before your flight, and even then, dont hold out too much hope for any sort of answers till your holiday should have departed. Trying to speak to someone more than 48 hours before, is just wasting your time.

You may also have the advantage by then of at least some clarity. Right now its a joke, rule book out the window, he-said-she-said, live chat cut off if you dont agree, protections you know you should have, not there

My advice, just dont give it a second thought till they contact you, or the day the departure was suppose to happen

Stu

Humps85 (31-03-2020)
Old 31-03-2020, 10:01   #9
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
I came back from Spain early and although BA say they are giving credit notes for changed flights they refused on first request for return flight as they said it didnt apply when you had taken first leg. Then they cancelled the original return flight !! Still doing battle with them too
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 11:23   #10
Aidy
Senior User

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Those protections etc are there for when there is an incident with one person, but when everyone has their holiday cancelled the money just isn't there to refund everyone so they're wriggling out. It's not just the holiday industry, it's all forms of insurance. Even people who had income-interruption due to contagious disease business insurance are having their claims denied because the insurance terms list specific diseases so new diseases obviously aren't there.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post:
NeilGo (01-04-2020)
Old 31-03-2020, 11:23   #11
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
I came back from Spain early and although BA say they are giving credit notes for changed flights they refused on first request for return flight as they said it didnt apply when you had taken first leg. Then they cancelled the original return flight !! Still doing battle with them too
I honestly think they are all stalling, maybe stalling to see if the rules will be changed retrospectively, or else stalling to go bust

Stu

Old 31-03-2020, 11:26   #12
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Those protections etc are there for when there is an incident with one person, but when everyone has their holiday cancelled the money just isn't there to refund everyone so they're wriggling out. It's not just the holiday industry, it's all forms of insurance. Even people who had income-interruption due to contagious disease business insurance are having their claims denied because the insurance terms list specific diseases so new diseases obviously aren't there.
yer, its why i'm a bit 'whatever' about it, usually I would not stand for something thats not right, and not give up. Now dont get me wrong im not giving up as such, but im fully aware this is going to be a long game. In reality I need them to go bust, so atol, or last resort card, pay up. But me who runs my own business also see's thats not great for anyone in the long run

Just glad my hol was a cheapie, £360 each. Some people on a dedicated fb group are talking large family dream holidays, 2 that spring to mind were £9500 and £14500

Stu

Old 31-03-2020, 11:27   #13
Stallion
Moderatorô

Car: (s)...Yes, have a few in my collection ;-)
My Car
check martin lewis out - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...d-your-rights/
stu8 (31-03-2020)
Old 31-03-2020, 11:29   #14
stu8
Senior User

My Car
been checking him and others, but the tour operators are ignoring legal rights at the moment. Martin Lewis being across all finances prob wont get too involved with this as it only affects relatively small proportion, compared to other financial stuff at the moment. Simon Calder is a bit more on it, but basically say persistence, not much more we can do for now

Stu

Last edited by stu8; 31-03-2020 at 11:41..
Old 31-03-2020, 13:00   #15
Barry P.
Senior User

Car: Red Evo IX GT, Silver Evo 2 GSR, Radical SR3, Van Diemen Formula Ford,and a big "Datsun".
My Car
I've had flights in April cancelled, I should have been heading out to the Canaries on Thurs, although I knew they were in lockdown over there also, I sat and waited and finally Easyjet informed me they had cancelled the flight. I was also due to fly to Italy to test the Ferrari F8 at Varano circuit at the end of April, BA cancelled those flights yesterday. My understanding is if the airlines cancel the flights they have to refund but Easyjet are trying to get customers to cancel or swap to flights later in the year so they don't have to refund the initial payments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: