Why Not to Buy an R35 GTR... - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Other Vehicles > Non-Mitsubishi Vehicles

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 08:02   #1
HarperSCO

Car: E7, GTR35, GTO, RX8
My Car
Why Not to Buy an R35 GTR...

Hey Guys,

Know a few of you on here and a few of you aware that im going through an Evo rebuild (tring to spend the 15k mark) to show that £15k spent on a Mitsubishi is more better spent than going anywhere Nissans 'flag****' car, and will outperform it in every repsect. Reliability cannot be any worse than the R35.

The reason for this post it, 4 breakdown in 2 months. Ive literally had the car back 26hours and the over complicated ECU has indicated the '6th Gear incorrect ratio' in the problemtaic gearbox is incorrect (not a recurring fault, just another new one).

The rumours of 'bulletproof' is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Buying this car approx 8 months ago and a £40k dent in my pocket, the car has continued eating my bank balance. With 8 big issues that couldn't be cleared myself through on OBD computer (there were more that I could clear myself), its spent most of its insured and road taxed life in Middlehurst and more importantly, Nobles in Penicuik (Edinburgh).

Dont ever expect a technical explanation as to why your car is failed. You wont get it. Im still trying to understand why the camshaft has a solenoid on it.

The car has had a new failure everytime. Small summary of what you have to look forward to if you were to purchase one of these - 59plate, 23k miles, FSH and STANDARD. Owned 9 months. The majority of these issues will put your car into limp mode and restrict you to 26 mph, not ideal when you are on a motorway (bloody auto boxes have too much control).

Numerous issues with gears / ratio calculations
Numerous issues with solenoids
Numerous 4wd issues
Brakes Juddering heavily at any random given time.
Exhausts Blowing
Engine not firing on one half of the engine (sicking cam shaft solenoid?!)
Failing steering locks
Failing Keyfob receivers within the car (car wont recognise FOB's rendering it unstartable)

This is but a few of the issues. Anyone who is seriouisly considering buying one, give me a shout and I will show you a list of the bills you have to face and you had best save the GTR Breakdown line number on speed dial. I think the parameters/tolerances on the ECU are set way to finely to allow this car to do what it was designed for, certainly has alot to answer for anyway.

It was my intention to have the Evo finished in a few weeks, video a 1/4" mile of the two of them, a round at knockhill against eachother and post the video but truelly believe the GTR wont last this long as 40 miles seems to be its maximum distance before the next issue.

So moral of - spend it on your Mitsubishi

Thanks Conrad, HQ Performance, Tim Radley, Evo salvage, GMC and 34psi for the help so far with the Evo build.
HarperSCO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HarperSCO For This Useful Post:
Billy MR (18-04-2013), Chronos (18-04-2013), Clivew (21-04-2013), Conrad (18-04-2013), Evosid (14-05-2013), jijmmy (30-04-2013), [email protected] (18-04-2013), myearwood173 (24-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-04-2013, 08:12   #2
Johnno

Car: Evo IV
My Car
Doesn't sound too inspiring !
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:
HarperSCO (18-04-2013)
Old 18-04-2013, 08:18   #3
martinevo

Car: Mits Evo 6
Good write up, Thats the problem with modern cars, they are being made way too complicated seemingly 'fragile'

Evo all the way for me!!
martinevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-04-2013, 08:18   #4
thetyrant

Car: BMW 130i & ST185 GT4 RC - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Does sound like you had a bad example no wonder your annoyed, i know lots of GTR owners and non have had the issues you have had, some use the cars regualry on track as well which is of course a real strain on things, hence i think your unlucky.

Get the Evo finished and enjoy that instead

Ian
thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 08:18   #5
M88RCC

Car: Evo 8 FQ300
My Car
That sounds like hell.

Nothing worse when you spend you'r hard earned cash on a car and then nothing seems to go right with it.

Hope you get it sorted soon!

Also post up when you are heading up to Knockhill, I go up there quite a lot.

Marc
M88RCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M88RCC For This Useful Post:
HarperSCO (18-04-2013)
Old 18-04-2013, 08:19   #6
Evo9lution
Formerly known as DazK-IV

Car: Evo IX MR FQ-360 & Stage 4.25 Nissan R35 GT-R
My Car
That's a real bummer. I know plenty of people with GTRs who have had no issues so maybe unfortunately you just bought a dog of a car. There are plenty of Evos out there that keep having issues as well so I guess it's just bad luck really.

Good luck getting the Evo build finished and the GTR sorted once & for all (and probably sold by the sounds of it).
Evo9lution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 08:19   #7
HarperSCO

My Car
I'm curious if anyone else on here has got / had one. I really woud love to get into Nissan with some hard facts about common failures etc. I know you do get some examples (dogs) that are niggly but this seems to be on a different level. At the end of the day, my £40k shouldnt be valued any less than the next mans. you would think Nissan would like to keep their reputation intact with this car. I cant be too hard on Nobles as they have helped on numerous occassions and waived invoices but needs to progress to Nissan themselves as this car has failures they 'have never seen before'.

Last edited by HarperSCO; 18-04-2013 at 08:23..
Old 18-04-2013, 08:23   #8
gpowerfq400
Senior User

Car: fq 340
My Car
It's common to have a few similar failures but if I'm honest a friend just bought a white
One 59 plate and clutch gearbox problem fault after 1 day of owning it back in a m3 now he is.
HarperSCO (18-04-2013)
Old 18-04-2013, 08:24   #9
evo_steve

Car: Evo 6
My Car
on par with evos then lol
evo_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 08:27   #10
HarperSCO

My Car
Ha, Steve, Ive had my E7 for 6 years. I have had nowhere near the same amount of issues as this. A few popped turbos and clutches but nothing near the costs associated with this thing, even an engine management clearing code costs a trip to edi on a trailor and a few hours of investigation and clearing of codes, all at the kind hourly rate of £120 ph.
Old 18-04-2013, 08:28   #11
Evo9lution

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperSCO View Post
I'm curious if anyone else on here has got / had one. I really woud love to get into Nissan with some hard facts about common failures etc. I know you do get some examples (dogs) that are niggly but this seems to be on a different level. At the end of the day, my £40k shouldnt be valued any less than the next mans. you would think Nissan would like to keep their reputation intact with this car. I cant be too hard on Nobles as they have helped on numerous occassions and waived invoices but needs to progress to Nissan themselves as this car has failures they 'have never seen before'.
I know it's a hell of a trek for you but have you tried taking it to Litchfield rather than to a Nissan main dealer? At least they will probably give you some information and may be a lot cheaper as well.
Old 18-04-2013, 08:33   #12
M88RCC

Car: Evo 8 FQ300
My Car
Another GTR owner on here is X28 KAT.

Hes in Aberdeen I believe, might be worthwhile chatting to him.

I don't know if he has had any problems with his though.
M88RCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 08:34   #13
HarperSCO

My Car
Well tbh, when the car is serviced at an HPC (high performace centre) in the last year, you get free pick ups (depending on who you get on the phone) so could try them, but, the only benefit would be that Litchfields would be more fighting my corner with Nissan. The car just keeps breaking. Its not really anything to do with the dealer as such.
Old 18-04-2013, 08:36   #14
Johnno

Car: Evo IV
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpowerfq400 View Post
It's common to have a few similar failures but if I'm honest a friend just bought a white
One 59 plate and clutch gearbox problem fault after 1 day of owning it back in a m3 now he is.
Who had one?
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 08:44   #15
Evo9lution

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperSCO View Post
Well tbh, when the car is serviced at an HPC (high performace centre) in the last year, you get free pick ups (depending on who you get on the phone) so could try them, but, the only benefit would be that Litchfields would be more fighting my corner with Nissan. The car just keeps breaking. Its not really anything to do with the dealer as such.
Fair enough. The reason I was suggesting Litchfield was three-fold really: - 1) cost - while they're probably not cheap, I doubt that they charge £120 p/h labour rate, 2) information - as it's not their PI, they are probably much more likely to discuss faults (plus, they probably understand the cars better than some of the staff in the HPCs), & 3) they probably have seen far more GTRs than individual HPCs now as they have a very good reputation. As such, they may have seen all these issues before and may have a better understanding of how one issue may lead to another which means that they may be able to prevent failures rather than just fix them after they have occurred.

Just a thought ...

Barry P. takes his GTR to Litchfield and I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions on them if you drop him a PM.
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: