New Evo IX Owner - Compression Test Results Not Good!!! - Page 3 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Newbie

Old 16-11-2019, 21:02   #31
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica13 View Post
Hi Mark,

Thanks, any feedback on the results?

Cheers,
At that level of leakage I would expect really bad oil consumption.

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-11-2019, 21:15   #32
Corsica13
Junior User

Car: Evo IX MR FQ-360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
At that level of leakage I would expect really bad oil consumption.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback, I've not really noticed the oil consumption as I've not owned it long enough.

Thanks again,
Corsica13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 21:54   #33
Gav33

My Car
Sorry to hear about the results that you have had from the tests carried out from AT. I would however get a second opinion. I have taken my Evo to AT in the past for servicing only. They are very expensive compared to others and although Iíve not had issues I know of others that have so now take my Evo to APTuning in Norwich. I canít recommend them enough. Iíve heard MADevelopments are near you so there is another garage to use. With regard to you only having five days to sort this thatís absolute rubbish. You have contacted the garage in question and have made them aware so the ball is now in their court. Get another test done and then liaise with Wynford to resolve the issues.
Advertisement

Old 17-11-2019, 06:56   #34
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Surely the key thing is that with any leakdown test you should be able to determine on a cylinder by cylinder basis the source of the leakage(s)? Was that kind of thorough analysis undertaken?

Furthermore, how come the compression test results now are so different to the ones posted at the start of this thread, in particular with regards to cylinder 3?

Last edited by plip1953; 17-11-2019 at 06:58..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plip1953 For This Useful Post:
Mita (17-11-2019)
Old 17-11-2019, 07:46   #35
Mita
Senior User

Go to see MAD Mark in Marlow mate , he will sort you out.
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mita For This Useful Post:
Realbadman (17-11-2019)
Old 17-11-2019, 08:12   #36
plip1953
Phil

My Car
This might prove to be a cheaper route if indeed a full rebuild would otherwise be necessary of your current engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISH...4AAOSwA61df56Y
Old 17-11-2019, 08:20   #37
Corsica13
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Surely the key thing is that with any leakdown test you should be able to determine on a cylinder by cylinder basis the source of the leakage(s)? Was that kind of thorough analysis undertaken?

Furthermore, how come the compression test results now are so different to the ones posted at the start of this thread, in particular with regards to cylinder 3?
That is interesting that you pointed that out as I noticed the same, the results are now different to what I was initially told. Apparently the leak down test was carried out last thing friday evening. I will call them back on Monday to understand why there's such a disparity.

Also I was told yesterday that around 10 bar is a good reading but when I spoke to the other chap about the initial readings he told me 12.

Let's see what they come back with Monday. To be honest I've read and heard different things so it's a bit confusing and not being a mechanic I'm struggling to understand what the "norn" is.

That's also part of the reason I was asking for anyone to share what is deemed the correct and expected compression for these 4G63 engines. For example out the factory and over time there would be an expected loss of pressure?

Thanks guys.
Old 17-11-2019, 08:20   #38
Corsica13
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Go to see MAD Mark in Marlow mate , he will sort you out.
I've reached out to him - thanks for the advice buddy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corsica13 For This Useful Post:
Mita (17-11-2019)
Old 17-11-2019, 08:28   #39
Corsica13
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
This might prove to be a cheaper route if indeed a full rebuild would otherwise be necessary of your current engine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISH...4AAOSwA61df56Y
Thank you for looking, very kind but I really don't would not want to go down that route, I've not even owned the car a month.

If another compression / leak down test gives the same results and I need to go down the route of rebuild or replace then the car will either go back or I hope the seller will work with me to go down that route as I would rather keep the car.

Either way it's not looking great

What makes it difficult is I'm having to keep it hush from my wife as she'll kill me, she weren't too happy about me buying the car in the first place, now this!!
Old 17-11-2019, 10:57   #40
extremecos
Senior User

Honestly take the car to Mark.I have used him for twenty odd years,Cossies ,Evos,he is the best.
extremecos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extremecos For This Useful Post:
grants (17-11-2019), Mita (17-11-2019), Realbadman (17-11-2019)
Old 17-11-2019, 23:14   #41
RaeTurbo
Senior User

Car: Evo2 mapped antilagged and LC by Mr Fox.
My Car
Strange results to say the least... the whole idea of a leakdown test is to discover where the compressed air is being lost... IE inlet valve, exhaust valve, head gasket, crankcase... you simply listen at the various openings and when you hear the leak obviously thatís the fault.
Old 18-11-2019, 00:25   #42
Jakeh
Senior User

Car: 9 Wagon
Definitely get a second opinion.
Jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 07:40   #43
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica13 View Post
That is interesting that you pointed that out as I noticed the same, the results are now different to what I was initially told. Apparently the leak down test was carried out last thing friday evening. I will call them back on Monday to understand why there's such a disparity.

Also I was told yesterday that around 10 bar is a good reading but when I spoke to the other chap about the initial readings he told me 12.

Let's see what they come back with Monday. To be honest I've read and heard different things so it's a bit confusing and not being a mechanic I'm struggling to understand what the "norn" is.

That's also part of the reason I was asking for anyone to share what is deemed the correct and expected compression for these 4G63 engines. For example out the factory and over time there would be an expected loss of pressure?

Thanks guys.
I was always told not to read to much into the absolute values but concentrate of the differences from cylinder to cylinder. Of course strictly speaking they should be all be absolutely the same, but rarely are. Half a bar or more difference between any two cylinders and you might be facing an issue.

Quite a few years ago I have an Evo 6 with an forged 4G63 engine that produced some pretty horrendous looking leakdown results - 10-25% range across the four cylinders. I was persuaded to ditch it in favour of an engine from an Evo 8 FQ400 (so also forged). But was most interesting to me was that my old and supposedly knackered engine was then bought by a motorsport team and installed in their high end Evo on what was meant to be a temporary basis while the normal "race" engine was being rebuilt. Without any work on either the block or head of my old engine it was mated with a big turbo and mapped to produce over 600bhp (around double of when it was in my Evo 6) and ran competitively in that car for half a season or more, never failed once.

Much more recently I've had experience of a track focussed MX5 that seemed to be using a lot of oil, but it wasn't obvious why. A compression test was inconclusive, but the leakdown test showed one cylinder at around 30% with leakage through the valves (inlet I think). An MX5 race prep company boss told me that whenever leakdown on any cylinder exceeded 2 1/2% they would consider a rebuild. The engine did in fact get changed, but what was interesting to me is that the difference in measured horsepower between the two engines (both essentially standard OE spec) was close to negligible! I'm still not entirely sure what conclusion to draw from this, but just because compression and/or leakdown tests appear to produce "bad" results shouldn't necessarily be a reason for too much gloom and doom. But at least the new engine doesn't use oil!

Last edited by plip1953; 18-11-2019 at 08:08..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 09:09   #44
9GT

Interesting results,can I ask where the car was mapped?it is pretty well talked about recently that evo 9ís are cracking the ring lands with higher boost and lean fuel settings.
9GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 13:20   #45
plip1953
Phil

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
Interesting results,can I ask where the car was mapped?it is pretty well talked about recently that evo 9ís are cracking the ring lands with higher boost and lean fuel settings.
It was a long time ago and the mapper in question as far as I know is no longer doing Evos.

Either follow Mark Shead's advice, but otherwise I would suggest APT near Norwich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: