any one ever toyed with the idea of an RX7? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Other Vehicles > Non-Mitsubishi Vehicles

Old 18-08-2019, 16:39   #1
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
any one ever toyed with the idea of an RX7?

I love my EVO X, it is my perfect car for it has awesome performance, amazing handling, love awd, actually has proper seats in the back, has awesome recaro seats better seats than most super cars come with, (I reckon super cars were designed for tarts) has decent boot space and its japanese!

However, ive always had a MASSIVE soft spot for the Mazda RX7, i think they are the sexiest car to come from the 90s and theres always something in you that wants something from your childhood, this was mine.

i just know it my mind if i was to ever get one, id miss all the plus points of the evo X i listed above.

most people that ive read that have left there evo for something else always seem to miss them too and always make a return to them at some point.

whats your thoughts?
redrocket89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redrocket89 For This Useful Post:
Hank79 (01-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2019, 18:47   #2
Benjer182
Senior User

When I had my evo 6 imported I looked at a few rx7s first but I thought if/when we have a kid that would have to go but I could keep and evo as it’s 4 doors. A mate had one at about 300bhp a few years ago and I loved it and wanted one ever since
Benjer182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 19:14   #3
Mita
Senior User

I think youíve answered your own question.

However itís obviously in your mind so just do it?

Can you not get an RX7 also to try? Worst case sell, best case sell the X

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket89 View Post
I love my EVO X, it is my perfect car for it has awesome performance, amazing handling, love awd, actually has proper seats in the back, has awesome recaro seats better seats than most super cars come with, (I reckon super cars were designed for tarts) has decent boot space and its japanese!

However, ive always had a MASSIVE soft spot for the Mazda RX7, i think they are the sexiest car to come from the 90s and theres always something in you that wants something from your childhood, this was mine.

i just know it my mind if i was to ever get one, id miss all the plus points of the evo X i listed above.

most people that ive read that have left there evo for something else always seem to miss them too and always make a return to them at some point.

whats your thoughts?
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-2019, 20:36   #4
VI_Shooter
Regional Organiser

Car: Stock Silver VI GSR from Nippon!
My Car
Keep the X and also get the FD3S (RX7) great RWD fun and tons better (more iconic) than the RX8.

Get one in yellow slap some INITIAL D graphics and pretend to be Takahashi on Mt Akina!
Realbadman (19-08-2019)
Old 18-08-2019, 21:07   #5
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
I don't have the space for another car at the moment hence why it would have to be one or the other.

I plan on moving in a couple of years specifically for more garage space as that's what we ask want lol

Put it this way I couldn't get rid of the X for it, I know that would be a mistake, it's just annoying that I too have one of those itches that won't go away. Guess I need to drive one and get it out of my system, realise the evo is way better and be done with it. The thing is I was driven in a 400bhp rx7 in the past and remember that was freaking awesome lol but I didn't drive back then either
Old 18-08-2019, 21:28   #6
oliverash
Senior User

Car: Evo VI TME Canal Blue. Yamaha R1 powered Mini. 2011 ZX6R
My Car
I used to have one. Street ported, huge single turbo and loud as hell screamer pipe. It was the car i always wanted, initially, but it turned out to be one of those cars you can never be quite certain will start when you want it to.
Same goes for buying any car do your research and buy wisely. I loved mine and it felt like a special car. The rotary engine is super smooth and quite unlike anything I had encountered before.
Compression test is the all important factor - mid 7s or above indicate good apex seals but below that it would be wise to consider a rebuild in not too distant future.
They attract a lot of attention mostly good, some bad, my ownership ended on a sour note after it got broken into and it never felt the same after that.
But I do still miss it, was my first jap car with big power and i would love another one given the chance.
oliverash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 15:15   #7
redrocket89
Senior User

My Car
Would you choose to have the rx7 over the tme? What they break into the rx7 for? To try steal the car or something in the car?
Old 19-08-2019, 15:35   #8
strange_days_uk
Simon - EVO V

Car: EVO V
My Car
I had an FD RX7 for a few years before I got my first EVO (a X).

The FD had a streetport and T04s turbo, it was awesome, I adored it. Sexy as hell, fabulous to drive, the uniqueness of the rotary engine. They can be a little lively at the rear end, so be mindful. Sadly, I blew an apex seal on mine in some hot weather, due to heatsoak and high intake temps. I lost my job around the same time and had to break the car.

When I got the X, it was slower than the FD but the handling was what blew my mind. Modded up to the 380 bhp the X was an awesome car, although I still hankered for my FD.

Now that I have a 500+ bhp EVO V, I would never go back to an FD. Wouldn't mind one as a second car though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Most TME owners have never driven an evo, including their own.
strange_days_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 19:49   #9
oliverash
Senior User

My Car
Had the same turbo on mine and I too blew the seals on a hot day coming back from JapShow. Temps went up real quick but by the it was already too late. I remember a good saying regarding the accuracy and reliability of the temp gauge.
Cold = engine off
Half way = engine running
Hot = engine f*****

Mine got broken into for all the stereo gear which was hitting as designed and installed it all myself and the rx7 boot is not an easy one to fit two subs in!
Old 20-08-2019, 09:59   #10
strange_days_uk
Simon - EVO V

Car: EVO V
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverash View Post
Had the same turbo on mine and I too blew the seals on a hot day coming back from JapShow. Temps went up real quick but by the it was already too late. I remember a good saying regarding the accuracy and reliability of the temp gauge.
Cold = engine off
Half way = engine running
Hot = engine f*****

Mine got broken into for all the stereo gear which was hitting as designed and installed it all myself and the rx7 boot is not an easy one to fit two subs in!
Yeah I had an Apexi PFC and I was super careful about watching the intake temps in the summer. But on that day it was a friend's funeral (died at 19 of cancer). He was a petrolhead, there was a big convoy of us following the hearse before a stretch of motorway. I'd promised to be the first one at the crematorium, after trailing the hearse at 2 mph for a couple of miles, soon as we hit the motorway I nailed it and immediately had the red light of doom flashing on the dash, just ignored it, head was in the wrong place..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Most TME owners have never driven an evo, including their own.
strange_days_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 14:39   #11
oliverash
Senior User

My Car
So basically what we are saying is they are great cars and we loved owning them.

Just don’t drive one during summer!
Old 23-08-2019, 21:48   #12
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
This one's caught my eye...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-RX7...53.m1438.l2649
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 21:04   #13
markbw
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 gsr
My Car
Yes, I seriously considered one before I bought my VI(as well as a GT4).

I also quite fancy an FC.
markbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:40   #14
Hank79
Senior User

Car: TME SPC, Lotus Exige 380, R34 GTR NUR, WRX STi version 5, RX7 Spirit R type A
I was a passenger in one once, lightly modified. Itís a special car to be in compared to my TME. Sitting so low and the beautiful bodywork is really something. There are a few things you need to do to them straight away to make them reliable, part of it is cooling modifications. If you get that sorted and carful with changing oil frequently they are quite reliable.
Hank79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: