Evo IV Battery Draining - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Electrical / Security / ICE / Navigation

Old 13-10-2019, 23:54   #1
niceandsoft

Unhappy Evo IV Battery Draining

Heya guys,

I recently purchased an Evo 4 that I've just been having constant wiring and battery issues with. The car needs to be jump started if I don't drive it for a day or two, even then it struggles to start, I got a new battery that has been having the same issue (I also know nothing about auto electronics). This is annoying because it's my weekend car so I only really drive once a week.

It has an AM Amp & Sub with pretty dodgy wiring (which I've recently unplugged) and an alarm & immobilizer. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try and how I can maybe avoid it being jump started?
niceandsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-10-2019, 06:31   #2
jhfozzy
S.Wales R.O./Electrician

Car: Evo VI
My Car
What is the current draw on the battery when the car is locked and sat for about ten minutes?
Old 15-10-2019, 18:44   #3
TimC
Senior User

Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
Current draw is what you need to be looking for. Get a cheap multimeter remove the negative terminal from the battery and place the meter in between on Amp setting, or get a cheap clamp meter and just pop it over the negative terminal.

From there you need to see what the drain is, and to locate the drain remove and refit items/fuses one by one until you see a noticeable change.

You could find this will be anything from a boot lamp not turning off, an old tracker you never knew was fitted, a faulty alternator or any of your in car entertainment.
Advertisement

Old 15-10-2019, 19:07   #4
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
Most Evos will drain the battery in 2 or 3 weeks so a CTEK or similar maintenance charger is a must. However after 2 or 3 days suggests a fault somewhere. If you connect a fully charged battery and it still struggles to crank then it could be a corroded ground connection - this is another evo "feature"!
TrickyDick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 19:19   #5
Dereksti
Senior User

Car: Scotia white tommi mak.
My Car
Had this on previous cars but not with an evo,it was a tracker on a Subaru I had once it was removed I had no more problems.
Dereksti is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: