Fresh Air Anti-Lag - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Engine / Turbo

Old 01-10-2020, 12:57   #1
TimC
Senior User

Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
Fresh Air Anti-Lag

Just curious, has anybody done this to an Evo on here using one of the TurboSmart valves? If so how have you got on with results and reliability wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 20:15   #2
Cyberstaff
Been here a while now....

My Car
I run a duel port Turbosmart on my 9 with pops and bangs mapped in. Never had any issues with cutting out, running etc although you need to keep the piston in the bov lubricated or it will stick shut or open!!!

She pops, bangs and flames like a goodun.

Also ran one on my old 8 without issues.
Old 02-10-2020, 20:55   #3
foxbat

Car: JDM Evo VI GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
Just curious, has anybody done this to an Evo on here using one of the TurboSmart valves? If so how have you got on with results and reliability wise?
I believe you'd need an aftermarket ECU to run the TS valve. I have mixed feelings regarding using it & giving up the throttle being kicked. I use my Evo for AutoX & the throttle kick greatly enhances car response, like when coming out of corners, even if anti-lag is turned off.
foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 21:00   #4
TimC
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberstaff View Post
I run a duel port Turbosmart on my 9 with pops and bangs mapped in. Never had any issues with cutting out, running etc although you need to keep the piston in the bov lubricated or it will stick shut or open!!!

She pops, bangs and flames like a goodun.

Also ran one on my old 8 without issues.
You have a Blow Off Valve, not an Anti Lag valve. Two completely different items and functions.

There is no way I would want pops and bangs unless it was the by-product of actual functioning ALS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbat View Post
I believe you'd need an aftermarket ECU to run the TS valve. I have mixed feelings regarding using it & giving up the throttle being kicked. I use my Evo for AutoX & the throttle kick greatly enhances car response, like when coming out of corners, even if anti-lag is turned off.
I'll be going aftermarket anyway so that is not of concern. By throttle kick are you using a device to hold your throttle open?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:44   #5
foxbat

Quote:
I'll be going aftermarket anyway so that is not of concern. By throttle kick are you using a device to hold your throttle open?
Yes, an air solenoid or an electric valve, in my case I'm simply using a screw to keep the throttle open at around 25% while enabling rotational idle in the ECU. Besides anti-lag, a throttle kick by itself is a performance enhancing feature. I'm not sure what are the pros of the TS valve over traditional ALS?
It would've been great if it were meant to work with the stock ECU.
Old 07-10-2020, 16:14   #6
TimC
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbat View Post
Yes, an air solenoid or an electric valve, in my case I'm simply using a screw to keep the throttle open at around 25% while enabling rotational idle in the ECU. Besides anti-lag, a throttle kick by itself is a performance enhancing feature. I'm not sure what are the pros of the TS valve over traditional ALS?
It would've been great if it were meant to work with the stock ECU.
I believe it helps the engine longevity a bit as although ignition still needs to be retarded it reduces heat inside the engine (exhaust temps are still extreme but lower than throttle ALS from what I have read/watched). The other benefit is you get some level of inlet vacuum back when the throttle is closed too which obviously helps if you still have a servo assisted brake master cylinder.

Last edited by TimC; 07-10-2020 at 16:17..
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 16:39   #7
grants
Senior User

My Car
Most Evo's have SAS as standard. It operates in a similar way to the TS ALV
The plumbing is smaller.
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 17:13   #8
foxbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
Most Evo's have SAS as standard. It operates in a similar way to the TS ALV
The plumbing is smaller.
SAS is a mystery, no one managed to get any positive boost out of it! No one can confirm it's real purpose, homologation perhaps? Was its code/tables properly disassembled?
The main drawback of the TS valve is the cost, it's half the price of a standalone ECU!
Old 12-10-2020, 17:43   #9
grants
Senior User

My Car
SAS is a motorsport function.

if you want a challenge have a look at the relevant GEMS user manual;

https://gems.co.uk/downloads/manuals/

have fun

PS
PBW (pop bang wizz) = ALS
EGR is SAS
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 18:42   #10
foxbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
SAS is a motorsport function.

if you want a challenge have a look at the relevant GEMS user manual;

https://gems.co.uk/downloads/manuals/

have fun

PS
PBW (pop bang wizz) = ALS
EGR is SAS
So SAS would only properly function when used with GEMS not with the stock ECU...correct? Did it produce overrun positive boost (anti lag)? I'll take a look at those manuals.
Old 31-10-2020, 16:44   #11
Kennyayr
User

Quote:
Yes I run the turbosmart als valve, we’re are currently running mild als using the valve to see how the turbo lasts, but so far all is good and the system runs great! Definitely cheaper than a supercharger kit!

To get it working correctly it’s quite complicated, I run a electronic throttle to jack the throttle, also you need a temp sensor to shut down the als if the exhaust gases get to warm.

Check out my Instagram
Kennymckell
Some nice pics of the system
Kennyayr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyayr For This Useful Post:
sfg (31-10-2020), TimC (31-10-2020)
Old 31-10-2020, 19:09   #12
TimC
Senior User

My Car
Given you a follow Kenny.
What sort of pressure are you seeing on idle and overrun?
Read the comment that gears that you used to take in 3rd revving the nuts of it to keep it in threshold are now taken 4th means it’s obviously doing something right.
Old 31-10-2020, 21:30   #13
Kennyayr
User

At idle it will make next to no boost as its recirculating round the system what it does is keep the turbo speed up so when you go on throttle it’s instant
Old 31-10-2020, 22:06   #14
TimC
Senior User

My Car
Now I think about it at idle that makes sense as it’s not the throttle that’s being bypassed it’s pretty much the whole engine. Are you logging turbo speeds at all?
Old 31-10-2020, 22:14   #15
Kennyayr
User

Actually no we aren’t logging the turbo speeds but will be next year.
If you are going to fit fresh air als I can give you some pointers on how to do it
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: