Garage damaged my subframe should I have to pay for it? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 08-01-2020, 11:55   #1
Evo(v)
Senior User

Car: Standard evo iv
My Car
Garage damaged my subframe should I have to pay for it?

As per title my evo 4 is in the garage for all the underneath to be stripped welded sealed etc, the removed the rear subframe but damaged it in the process, they had a stiff bolt and snapped off the lugs on the subframe that the bolt went through,

This is why I hate garages etc if I turn around and say the damage could have been avoidable If you used the right tools therefore i shouldn't have to pay for it he could be funny and do a right **** job underneath leaving me far worse off!

I'm an electrician if i damaged anything of a customers the thought of asking them to pay for my damage would not even enter my mind at all,

Does anyone have or know anyone that has a spare lasting around anyway? Either way I need one now.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 11:57   #2
Evo(v)
Senior User

My Car
Will evo 5 6 7 8 9 rear subframe all fit? Are they the same?
Old 08-01-2020, 17:00   #3
tracker
Senior User

My Car
I’ve one off a 8 if you need one
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 17:07   #4
Mita
Senior User

Do you have any progress pics etc of the resto? How’s it looking ?
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 17:12   #5
r3k1355
Senior User

Without pictures of the damage it's hard to say for sure.
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 17:56   #6
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
I actually think corrosion related breakages on older evos is now to be expected. As above hard to say without pictures, but having worked on my old 5 that towards the end of the 14 years of owning it where corrosion had taken its toll, I hated working on it, and expected bolts or captive nuts to break, or things so seized they break. For me its down to you as the car went in with corrosion issues, there is no way at all the garage can predict what will undo and what will break

Its easy to assume that too much force has caused the issue, but corrosion not only locks bolts through holes solid, but also if bad enough stresses the metals, making them break far easier than you would expect, a seized bolt needs force, heat, impact tools, it has to come off

As you compare to your job, its similar to quoting to rewire an old corroded electrical unit, with 25 years of corrosion from exposure to salt and elements, but if the unit breaks, u standing the cost of a replacement unit

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RG Motorsport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by stu8; 08-01-2020 at 17:59..
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
Coggy (16-01-2020), Geoffski74 (22-03-2020), Mita (08-01-2020), rich86 (09-01-2020), Saint Matt (09-01-2020), Tom Dick (09-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 18:35   #7
leeslancer8
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 260 - EVO 7 RSII - EVO 8 FQ320 MR - EVO 4 GSR
Evo iv subframes are a one off size the others do not fit
leeslancer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leeslancer8 For This Useful Post:
super rover (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 19:05   #8
Evo(v)
Senior User

My Car
I would have removed the bolt without damaging the subframe with the right tool,

I'd quote the job of said unit based on its condition and the possibility of any damages occurring, that's the professional thing to do.

I don't have progress pics as of yet as not much has been done yet, they have started stripping it this week, I did say I was in no rush to get it back though, gutted to hear that the 4 subframe is a one off size, been told they all fit by 3 people one person says no so far,
Old 08-01-2020, 19:06   #9
Evo(v)
Senior User

My Car
I would have removed the bolt without damaging the subframe with the right tool,

I'd quote the job of said unit based on its condition and the possibility of any damages occurring, that's the professional thing to do.

I don't have progress pics as of yet as not much has been done yet, they have started stripping it this week, I did say I was in no rush to get it back though, gutted to hear that the 4 subframe is a one off size, been told they all fit by 3 people one person says no so far,
Old 08-01-2020, 19:20   #10
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo(v) View Post

Its not just 1 bolt though, its pretty much every bolt that could break, or break something. If the garage is experienced in evo's, or corroded car repairs in general, the garage should have forewarned you that things may break though

With a view to helping A PM to Super Rover https://www.lancerregister.com/member.php?u=114353 will answer your question, he knows the 4 inside out, and converted his 4 to later running gear, so knows what can be done and how as well

Stu

RG Motorsport -

The Following User Says Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
super rover (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 19:24   #11
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
Quote:
As per title my evo 4 is in the garage for all the underneath to be stripped welded sealed etc, the removed the rear subframe but damaged it in the process, they had a stiff bolt and snapped off the lugs on the subframe that the bolt went through,

This is why I hate garages etc if I turn around and say the damage could have been avoidable If you used the right tools therefore i shouldn't have to pay for it he could be funny and do a right **** job underneath leaving me far worse off!

I'm an electrician if i damaged anything of a customers the thought of asking them to pay for my damage would not even enter my mind at all,

Does anyone have or know anyone that has a spare lasting around anyway? Either way I need one now.

Thanks
So if you was asked to strip there 15year old part and it broke you would pay for it.
It wonít be the garages fault it broke as you asked them to take it apart itís part and parcel of dealing with old cars.

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mark Shead For This Useful Post:
Aidy (11-01-2020), Coggy (16-01-2020), Evo Ali (09-01-2020), Evo6er (08-01-2020), Geoffski74 (22-03-2020), interbishi (08-01-2020), Mita (08-01-2020), Silverback1 (18-04-2020), skinz (08-01-2020), Tom Dick (09-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 19:59   #12
Evo(v)
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
So if you was asked to strip there 15year old part and it broke you would pay for it.
It wonít be the garages fault it broke as you asked them to take it apart itís part and parcel of dealing with old cars.

Mark
If you brake a frame while trying to remove a bolt it is tour fault, you reach a point where you accept the bolt is seized and go a different way around removing it, how is that too difficult to understand? It's a bolt not a blood clot from someone's brain!
Old 08-01-2020, 20:01   #13
Evo(v)
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
Its not just 1 bolt though, its pretty much every bolt that could break, or break something. If the garage is experienced in evo's, or corroded car repairs in general, the garage should have forewarned you that things may break though

With a view to helping A PM to Super Rover https://www.lancerregister.com/member.php?u=114353 will answer your question, he knows the 4 inside out, and converted his 4 to later running gear, so knows what can be done and how as well

Stu
Bolts are pennies, literally, a bolt should always be sacrificed before a part that costs a lot more,

Thanks for the heads up I'll get intouch
Old 08-01-2020, 20:15   #14
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Bolts are pennies, literally, a bolt should always be sacrificed before a part that costs a lot more,

Thanks for the heads up I'll get intouch
Guess you arent familiar with working on old vehicles, its often not that simple. If someone quoted to do the restoration job, take the time needed with each and every corroded bolt, cover the cost of parts that may still break even with every care taken, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new car than restore a section of an old car And the customer would then take the same car to a different garage that didn't cover all the "what if's" that go with this kind of job, in the quote

Stu

RG Motorsport -

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
Geoffski74 (22-03-2020), Mita (08-01-2020), Silverback1 (18-04-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 20:38   #15
ragz

Its not like theyve over tightened it
If its snapped while taking off then whos to know it would snap or damage and yeah working in old cars done help either.
ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: