Good fitting 3Ē downpipe. - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Exhaust Systems

Old 06-05-2019, 10:10   #1
MrBlobby
Senior User

Car: Evo 5 Rally Car
My Car
Good fitting 3Ē downpipe.

Hello, I am needing a new 3” down pipe for my Evo 5.
I’m pretty sure I have a mongoose one and it’s a lovely piece of kit but the problem is it hangs down wayyyyy too low.
There is a space formed in the sumo where the downpipe is mean to go and the one I had just hangs down past that.
I don’t have my car low as it’s a rally car and on my last rally I caved it in good and proper on a closed road.

Was just wondering what ones people would recommend and pictures speak a thousand words so if you have any or could take the time to take one it would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by MrBlobby; 06-05-2019 at 10:11..
MrBlobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 20:06   #2
mlau1294
Senior User

Car: Blue Evo 9 (470/465), White 6RS (350/340) & Black Lancer GSR Ralliart Sportback (300/310)
My Car
I think the modular downpipes from C-TEC is a lovely piece of kit....I have one on my 9 so can't really share any photos of it since it's not what you're after.

Contact Nigel S who can send you some on an earlier car I'm sure?
mlau1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlau1294 For This Useful Post:
MrBlobby (07-05-2019), nigelS (08-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 23:13   #3
Ads9
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ320, Honda Fireblade & Nissan Navara
My Car
Maybe it’s a downpipe for 7-9 as I’m pretty sure they’re different for 4-6 and the 7-9 are longer, which may explain your issue?
Ads9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 05:43   #4
MrBlobby
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads9 View Post
Maybe itís a downpipe for 7-9 as Iím pretty sure theyíre different for 4-6 and the 7-9 are longer, which may explain your issue?
Thatís a interesting thought.. I donít know where exactly they differ in design as they have a different route at the back of the car especially but if they are the same at the down pipe then maybe yeah. I got it from Ross sport and it was in a bundle of things that were all for my 5 so Iíd like to think itís correct but that may be it.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:49   #5
nigelS
Senior User

Car: Concours Evo VI RS
C-TEC 3" Modular System

We supply as a modular system i.e. turbo elbow and downpipe. The reason for this is performance. We extend the length of our turbo elbow compared to the OEM turbo elbow, and shorten the down pipe length accordingly. This allows for a true 3" sweeping radius bend, separation of wastegate gasses and recirc feed in lower down the system. The result is improved flow and a reduction in turbulence, hence more efficient turbo performance.

Our 4-6 and 7-9 modular systems differ, elbow design differs and the downpipe hangers differ to suit the difference in OEM hangers between the models. Both systems are now 3" V band turbo elbow to downpipe, stainless steel throughout.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:31   #6
MrBlobby
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelS View Post
We supply as a modular system i.e. turbo elbow and downpipe. The reason for this is performance. We extend the length of our turbo elbow compared to the OEM turbo elbow, and shorten the down pipe length accordingly. This allows for a true 3" sweeping radius bend, separation of wastegate gasses and recirc feed in lower down the system. The result is improved flow and a reduction in turbulence, hence more efficient turbo performance.

Our 4-6 and 7-9 modular systems differ, elbow design differs and the downpipe hangers differ to suit the difference in OEM hangers between the models. Both systems are now 3" V band turbo elbow to downpipe, stainless steel throughout.
Sounds excellent!
I donít think that system is worth it for my car though (Iím assuming itís not cheap), as itís a rally car is has a 34mm restrictor in the turbo so itís down on power and air and I probably wonít see the gains conspired to a high bhp car.

Thank you very much for the reply though and now I know itís available.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBlobby For This Useful Post:
nigelS (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 10:08   #7
r3k1355
Senior User

You could always have another pipe modified?

Chop a section out, stick in a slightly smaller length of flexi and bring the pipe closer to the underside of the car.
r3k1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:22   #8
MrBlobby
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3k1355 View Post
You could always have another pipe modified?

Chop a section out, stick in a slightly smaller length of flexi and bring the pipe closer to the underside of the car.
I did actually think that.

I could use the pipe that is in there now, have the damaged part cut out and when getting the new section out in make sure it sits higher up.

Just need to find a decent exhaust place in Hampshire now.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:42   #9
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
weve allways run HKS down pipes on all our cars ,cheap enough to buy used ,and in plentiful supply a 3" down pipes not needed on a rally car ,as you proved there to big sit to close to the sump causing issue with oil temps because of the sump guard
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:43   #10
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
also get rid of the flex ,use a standard 789 elbow off the turbo and use a 789 down pipe ,there far better
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: