Rear Diff Casing Material EVO 5 Vs EVO 8 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 06-03-2019, 13:39   #1
60ftLaunch

Question Rear Diff Casing Material EVO 5 Vs EVO 8

Hello
I am replacing a broken rear diff on my evolution.
The actual casing cracked after hard shifting.
I know this is a common problem.

I would like to know if the later model EVO 8 differential is made from a stronger more shock resistant material that is less likely to crack (possibly a change in the alloy content) is this the case

I am not Looking to spend £1000 + on an EVO RS upgrade or to get a new Billet Centre housing machined

If the EVO 8 differential is indeed stronger would I be able to fit a CUSCO RS Limited slip differential that is currently in my Evo 5 after removing it ? or has the evo 8 diff Got a different internal Design ?

Last edited by 60ftLaunch; 06-03-2019 at 13:40..
60ftLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 15:20   #2
grants
Senior User

My Car
Don't launch an Evo as they break

What engine torque are you running ?

The latter SAYC diffs are stronger due to a different internal design. Previous "upgrades" will not fit
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 13:42   #3
60ftLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
Don't launch an Evo as they break

What engine torque are you running ?

The latter SAYC diffs are stronger due to a different internal design. Previous "upgrades" will not fit
thanks for the reply
I think I have around 341 ibft
so the Cusco type RS LSD will not fit in the Evo 8 Diff Casing btw I have my AYC disabled

Last edited by 60ftLaunch; 07-03-2019 at 13:47..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 14:16   #4
grants
Senior User

My Car
SAYC option kit looks like this

Name:  sayc rs diff.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  77.6 KB

Time to save up for a RS diff !
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 00:11   #5
60ftLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
SAYC option kit looks like this

Attachment 323405

Time to save up for a RS diff !
Thanks for that

there are a few other options I am thinking about to reduce the shock on the drivetrain

but failing that I will fit an EVO RS DIFF
Old 11-03-2019, 12:02   #6
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

Car: Evo 5 850hp Hillclimb twincharger & Manual Legnum VR4 Type S
My Car
The Evo 5 has a weaker diff bearing support than the later ones where they beefed it up a bit and used a larger bearing. These are much stronger but also suffer from fatigue eventually. Look for a low mileage later model AYC unit
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 19:14   #7
60ftLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmac View Post
The Evo 5 has a weaker diff bearing support than the later ones where they beefed it up a bit and used a larger bearing. These are much stronger but also suffer from fatigue eventually. Look for a low mileage later model AYC unit
Thank for the information
Old 27-03-2019, 10:39   #8
60ftLaunch

Quote:
Does the EVO 6 have the stronger bearing support that you mention or would I need an evo 7 Diff ?

BTW I just realised who you are and got to say the first time I saw your evo many years ago on the hillclimb I was amazing car

Old 27-03-2019, 11:04   #9
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

My Car
I think the 5 and 6 have the weaker casing and it was 7 onwards that was stronger

Thanks for your comment
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Old 03-04-2019, 21:56   #10
60ftLaunch

Quote:
I think the 5 and 6 have the weaker casing and it was 7 onwards that was stronger

Thanks for your comment
thanks alot for your input
I need to check if my Cusco LSD will fit in an evo 7 Diff casing ?
and will it be a direct swap or will I need to change the moustache bar and driveshafts /

hats off to you your car is amazing ,amazing to see the difference ground effect and aero makes and also the low boost threshold and instant throttle response from being twin charged .

reminded me of these Group B LANCIA's

Last edited by 60ftLaunch; 03-04-2019 at 22:02..
Old 04-04-2019, 10:00   #11
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

My Car
I think the Cusco comes in 2 versions with the right bearing for each casing. The casing is thicker on the E7 onwards so the bearing is different. I honestly can't remember if the bearings can be swapped from one version to the other. Clive_W would be the best person to answer that

There's info here https://www.lancerregister.com/showt...f+strengthener on how to strengthen the casing but it means the AYC clutch packs have to be removed so the rear diff is essentially like an RS diff but in the AYC casing.

The external mountings and driveshafts should be the same between the E4/5/6 and the E7/8/9 AYC diffs.

There are a few other threads on MLR about the Cusco. There's useful information there if you have the time to go through them
Old 04-04-2019, 11:05   #12
Steviej
Senior User

Car: Evo6
I have a low mileage Evo 8 AYC diff complete and still in a car if you are looking for one.
Steviej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 19:45   #13
60ftLaunch

Quote:
I think the Cusco comes in 2 versions with the right bearing for each casing. The casing is thicker on the E7 onwards so the bearing is different. I honestly can't remember if the bearings can be swapped from one version to the other. Clive_W would be the best person to answer that

There's info here https://www.lancerregister.com/showt...f+strengthener on how to strengthen the casing but it means the AYC clutch packs have to be removed so the rear diff is essentially like an RS diff but in the AYC casing.

The external mountings and driveshafts should be the same between the E4/5/6 and the E7/8/9 AYC diffs.

There are a few other threads on MLR about the Cusco. There's useful information there if you have the time to go through them
Great info thanks allot
thanks for the link aswell and will contact CLIVE THANKS AGAIN

Last edited by 60ftLaunch; 04-04-2019 at 19:54..
Old 04-04-2019, 19:46   #14
60ftLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviej View Post
I have a low mileage Evo 8 AYC diff complete and still in a car if you are looking for one.
Hello I need to remove my old diff and check what type of CUSCO diff I have and if It will work with the EVO 8 Diff as another poster also mentioned it will not fit

will deffo contact you if I need it my friend
The Following User Says Thank You to 60ftLaunch For This Useful Post:
Steviej (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 18:57   #15
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, E91 325D Ohlins/M3 bushes, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Cusco diff is different for E4/5/6 AYC and 7/8/9 AYC/SAYC

Also, and this is a big problem, the right hand bearing is now no longer supplied with the Cusco diff, and the standard Mitsubishi bearing doesn’t fit.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clivew For This Useful Post:
Steviej (05-04-2019)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: