Best turbo for 550-580hp on 2.3L EVO 9 to replace FP red - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Engine / Turbo

Old 25-03-2015, 09:31   #1
mostro01-evo9
Senior User

My Car
Best turbo for 550-580hp on 2.3L EVO 9 to replace FP red

Hi guys,

What's for you the best turbo PnP to replace my FP red BB turbo to have this power. I want to keep my JMF manifold exhaust and my 3" elbow+DP MAP 3D.

I want something goes early , i hate turbo with lag. And my engine is 2.3L.

I don't want any more FP turbos, i never see bad service after sales like that...

So , advises me please
mostro01-evo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-2015, 09:59   #2
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostro01-evo9 View Post
Hi guys,

What's for you the best turbo PnP to replace my FP red BB turbo to have this power. I want to keep my JMF manifold exhaust and my 3" elbow+DP MAP 3D.

I don't want any more FP turbos, i never see bad service after sales like that...

So , advises me please
Have you considered the Blouch 760XTR?
There are a couple of lads on here who are very pleased with it. Here's one example: https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=502164

Another good thread to reference: http://79.174.169.101/showthread.php?t=494976

Last edited by kins; 25-03-2015 at 10:05..
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kins For This Useful Post:
THE 905S (26-03-2015)
Old 25-03-2015, 10:16   #3
4g638

My Car
So you want to replace a 550+ turbo with another 550+ turbo, I'm sorry but I fail to see the point in this. Oh and don't tell me you have not managed to get 550hp out of an fp red, as you need to look elsewhere for the hidden/lost power, the turbo is not the restriction here. But if you feel like it is and you want to spend money on another , by all means please do so.

As a suggestion to a bigger turbo, go with an dbb fp black, boost threshold difference of 2bar i.e, is 500rpm aproximately compared to an fp red.

Marios

Last edited by 4g638; 25-03-2015 at 10:19..
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-03-2015, 11:22   #4
smithyl23
Senior User

Car: ND 900bhp engine, Clive W RS Gearbox and Diffs, stage 3 Transfer Box with Wavetrac,
My Car
That's an easy one. Precision Turbo PT 5558 with the bigger 0.82 housing. Dual core ceramic ball bearing. Very very responsive even on my 2.0L. Cost you 1450 new. Made 577 at 1.6 Bar on my setup.
sbn1979 (25-03-2015)
Old 25-03-2015, 11:24   #5
wozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g638 View Post
So you want to replace a 550+ turbo with another 550+ turbo, I'm sorry but I fail to see the point in this. Oh and don't tell me you have not managed to get 550hp out of an fp red, as you need to look elsewhere for the hidden/lost power, the turbo is not the restriction here. But if you feel like it is and you want to spend money on another , by all means please do so.

As a suggestion to a bigger turbo, go with an dbb fp black, boost threshold difference of 2bar i.e, is 500rpm aproximately compared to an fp red.

Marios
Read the post properly before replying
Si B @ HEL (25-03-2015)
Old 25-03-2015, 11:27   #6
sbn1979
Hi

Car: Evo 6 Tommi Mak
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithyl23 View Post
That's an easy one. Precision Turbo PT 5558 with the bigger 0.82 housing. Dual core ceramic ball bearing. Very very responsive even on my 2.0L. Cost you 1450 new. Made 577 at 1.6 Bar on my setup.
What is your spec out of interest?
sbn1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 11:33   #7
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithyl23 View Post
He wants to keep his stock frame manifold.
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 11:39   #8
4g638

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzy View Post
Read the post properly before replying

Read everything I posted, and make sure you understand it, as it includes the answer to the O.P's question

I will also make myself more clear,and in case you still don't get me, let me know and I will explain, I did not comment on boost threshold of the red as it has nothing to do with the turbo, fp red spools like an 80 series on a properly done setup. He will not find a better spooling turbo at that hp range.

As he is in the market of a new turbo, I have also suggested a bigger turbo in case he is interested in more power with only 500ish rpm difference from an fp red.

I have also asked through an indirect question about the hp he is making on his setup, in case he has not reached the full potential of the turbo, in an effort to give advice on the matter.

Marios

Last edited by 4g638; 25-03-2015 at 11:53.. Reason: elaboration
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 13:41   #9
Evo_Rob

Car: EVO VIII MR FQ-300, tweaked by A.i Autosport :-)
Quote:
Hi guys,

So , advises me please
Mate I read you want to keep your JMF mani, elbow, downpipe etc and that spool is important to you, just wonder why you NEED 550-580bhp?

Reason I ask is I run a 2.3stroker with JMF mani+Elbow with custom downpipe like you, and when I had alot of troubles with my TT bolt-on turbo's (used + new), I looked at others but had already experienced a failure with a FP Red and knew of 2 other guys with failings on there FP Red BB units so avoided.

Was advised to go full-frame like a GT-3076 or the Precision Turbo already mentioned but costs were spiralling out of control on an already tight budget.

I stuck the stock Evo 9 80-series unit on temporarily 18month ago and well it's still on and won't be coming off unless fails, spool is immense and still enough powerband there to blast it round a track

P.s if it's numbers your after mine makes 465/515 on this setup.....
plenty poke for what i'm using it for
Evo_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 16:17   #10
wozzy

Quote:
Hi guys,

So , advises me please
Quote:

Marios
Quote:
Read everything I posted, and make sure you understand it, as it includes the answer to the O.P's question

I will also make myself more clear,and in case you still don't get me, let me know and I will explain, I did not comment on boost threshold of the red as it has nothing to do with the turbo, fp red spools like an 80 series on a properly done setup. He will not find a better spooling turbo at that hp range.

As he is in the market of a new turbo, I have also suggested a bigger turbo in case he is interested in more power with only 500ish rpm difference from an fp red.

I have also asked through an indirect question about the hp he is making on his setup, in case he has not reached the full potential of the turbo, in an effort to give advice on the matter.

Marios
Do you want some beans with all that waffle??

As I said, read the original post properly
GUM EVO (25-03-2015), KNOXVILLE (25-03-2015), Si B @ HEL (25-03-2015)
Old 25-03-2015, 19:40   #11
Si B @ HEL

Car: Evo 8 FQ600 ;-) Evo 6, 2 Pug 205 GTIs & a knackered 306 GTi6
My Car
Marios / 4g638

Si B @ HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Si B @ HEL For This Useful Post:
KNOXVILLE (25-03-2015), wozzy (25-03-2015)
Old 25-03-2015, 21:34   #12
mostro01-evo9
Senior User

My Car
Smile

Guys,

Firstly thanks a lot for interest of my thread.

Secondly, between the day when i posted and right know, i received any news about my car.

We're thinking the FP red is dead, smoking oil and leak, after 1000km

I'm tired to spend money to buy anything with FP.

The day when i ordered my turbo ( end of the year 2013 )i spent 2300€ ( turbo, FP inductions, options, delivery to France ). I waited 4 month to received it !!!! Because christmas holidays, and many reasons from FP...

When i received my box from UPS at home, the UPS guys told me "Sorry , but you need to paid customs taxes ( 480€ ), . I paid.

Just 5 min after i opened the box to see my stuff, When i took the turbo in my hand i saw in the ground of the box a hole created by the exhaust screw during the transport, i looked correctly and the bolt were twisted .

Just 10min after i took my phone to call "Amber" of FP facility to explain this ****ing problem and thrust me she hearded me .

She told me to sent back my box to FP to test the turbo........... And to change the exhaust screws. The turbos looked like correct and i spoke with "Michael" FP staff manager to this ****ing awesome problem. He told me and asked me differents questions about the turbo and the conclusion for him it was just to change this screws and it was not a good solution ( €€€ ) to send back just for change this screws.

At this date was 21/01/2014 ! I bought all my components to build my new project, And delivered my car to my tuner to begin the project. ( He's the most reputate tuner in France to build Evos and 4G63 ). At this date he was really busy and begun the car at the end of the summer, We are mid of March and the car is Finish .

SO MY ****ING FALSE WARRANTY IS ENDED of course, after freshly built my car smoking oil after 1000km by exhaust.

I contacted FP to explain the problem, and also they suggest to me to see their chart . The name of it is "OHHH NOOO ! MY TURBO IS SMOKING OIL AND LEAK"

http://forcedperformance.tumblr.com/...-oil-is-coming

We plugged exactly the oil line specific for FP red turbo to the Standard oil filter housing and FP suggest to buy their new kit to plug the line with new FP filter include new restrictor .030 to the head.
I bought it 109USD - 43 USD cost of delivery to France and also of course 55€ of customs taxs when i received my box.

We did that the last week, it was better and we didn't see oil smoking by exhaust when driving in mirror back.

Yesterday to Finish the map on the Dyno on E85, we saw oil smoking from the exhaust a lot !! When the car pull looks like correct, but when the engine come down rpm, smoke come at the exhaust.

After many hours to clean all my news parts , FMIC ETS 3,5 with pipping, my new TiAL BOV, intake manifold and many more, we need to clean an other time !!!

I CALLED DIRECTLY FP to EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM and Amber suggest to me to read on other their ****ing chart where we know every thing.

My tuner tested an EVO 8 turbo, smoking coming but less less, after he also tested to add more a stock FMIC because the ETS is filled by oil. less smoking like not more.

TO CONCLUSE :

- After dissassemble all parts and also the turbo, they are a little play in the axe of the turbine...Maybe turbo is 95% dead !
- VERY TIRED TO DISCUSSED WITH FP TEAM.
- STOP TO SPENT MY MONEY FOR THEIR !

At the moment i called this morning OWEN DEVELOPMENT in UK to discuss.

Also discuss by email with Ross, and i'm thinking eventually to Change of Brand. So it's was my reason of this thread.

Please considere my post with my poor english. Sorry.

Benjamin
mostro01-evo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 21:39   #13
4g638

My Car
Quote:
Do you want some beans with all that waffle??

As I said, read the original post properly

I already have, and although he said he does not want any more fp turbos, he will be surprised with the reliabilty of the new version chra on the new fp red,black and zephryr, hence why I insisted on my suggestion as he might reconsider. It is his choice what he will go with, I am sure many will pop up to suggest this and the other.

Now cut the crap and respect other people's opinion, if you want others to respect yours, and do not assume things without asking first, post has been read properly.

Marios
Old 25-03-2015, 21:47   #14
wozzy

Quote:
I already have, and although he said he does not want any more fp turbos, he will be surprised with the reliabilty of the new version chra on the new fp red,black and zephryr, hence why I insisted on my suggestion as he might reconsider. It is his choice what he will go with, I am sure many will pop up to suggest this and the other.

Now cut the crap and respect other people's opinion, if you want others to respect yours, and do not assume things without asking first, post has been read properly.

Marios
I don't respect your opinion and your attitude stinks. The guy asked for recommendations for a 550hp turbo that's not fp. And you recommended an fp turbo that's rated to 650hp. GREAT advise
octainejunkee (26-03-2015), Si B @ HEL (27-03-2015)
Old 25-03-2015, 21:52   #15
4g638

My Car
Quote:
I don't respect your opinion and your attitude stinks. The guy asked for recommendations for a 550hp turbo that's not fp. And you recommended an fp turbo that's rated to 650hp. GREAT advise

I don't respect yours then from now on, as for my attitute it will stink even more from now on also! Yes I suggested a 650+ hp turbo with only 400-500rpm difference in spool to what he has now that will give 580hp much easier on less boost and with more to go in the future if he wishes to.

Marios
wozzy (26-03-2015)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: