Lancer Register Forum banner

New Evo Owner - 8 MR FQ 340

28K views 91 replies 39 participants last post by  focus1717 
#1 · (Edited)
8 MR FQ340 progress thread

Well I've had this a few weeks now so thought it was time I introduced myself and the new car. :)

I've always wanted an evo since I was a kid and used to watch them sliding about in the WRC, so having finally got bored/fed up of my Glanza which I'd owned for 9 years I decided it was time to finally get one.

Some may recognise the car as it's been owned by a few MLR members, I bought it off K13 ASJ - Allan, thanks again mate.:smthumbup It's a very clean low mileage VIII MR FQ 340:

It's obviously got a few mods on it already and I've got a few little bits planned for it - some more carbon bits, wheels and making sure the map is all good.

For now I've given it an engine oil change as soon as I got it home and have fitted the Defi gauges I had in the glanza (Defi din gauge and Link boost gauge) plus a new gear knob! I picked the knob up myself when visiting Japan a few years ago and handily it's a Razo Type 340R so quite apt for the Evo!

Unfortunately with the crap weather and salt on the roads I've not been enjoying it as much as I want to but did manage to get out for some scenic photos at the weekend:

I hope to look after it and keep it as clean as it currently is, I'll update this (since there's no projects forum:rolleyes:) as I add my own little touches but for now the full spec is below.

Full spec list as of 29/03/16;

Engine/Turbo:
ETS 3" intercooler
Monster sport PFX600 filter with intake pipe and carbon air box cover
Milltek 3" Turbo elbow back exhaust incl. decat
MAC 3 port boost solenoid
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Magnecor plug leads
Ralliart oil cap
Evo IX plug cover
Aluminium radiator brackets
Sokie tech bonnet dampers
Bolt dress up kit

Chassis:
Rays Engineering TE37 Seibon Edition wheels (18 x 9 ET +35) with Toyo R888 tyres (255/35)
Rays lightweight steel wheel nuts
OEM Bilstein B6 shocks
Eibach lowering springs
Tein rear strut brace

Brakes:
Project mu SCR-Pro Front discs
Grooved rear discs
Performance Friction .11 pads front and rear
HEL stainless braided brake lines
Rexpeed air guides

Interior:
Binary seat lowering brackets
Alcantara re-trimmed OEM steering wheel and gear gaiter
Razo Type 340R gear knob
Razo Type 25 pedal covers
Rexpeed carbon handbrake cover
Defi Din Gauge (Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp)
Defi Link 52mm Boost Gauge
Defi Link Control unit II
Lockwood dials
Carbon fibre stereo surround
Carbon dipped dash panels, window switches, centre console and steering wheel trim
Solid gear shifter base bushes

Exterior:
Nose chopped OEM front bumper
Evo IX rear bumper
Carbon front splitter
Carbon front bumper ducts
Carbon side skirt extensions
Carbon rear bumper extensions
Carbon vortex generator
Carbon bonnet vent
Carbon Mitsubishi badges
De-tango'd head lights
USDM rear lights
Team HEKO wind deflectors
Window tints
Ralliart mud flaps

See less See more
#10 ·
Cheers guys, it's a credit to the previous owners to be fair I'm just hoping to keep it as clean.

I'd agree that grey is the best colour for them but I will always be biased now!:D

Yup you did a good job tidying her up!

Happy to see your keeping her clean bud! Look forward to seeing your progress with her...
Cheers mate, I'll do my best to keep it that way! Rubbish time to buy it though as all I want to do is drive it but not with the roads being covered in crap.

#17 ·
A small update on this for now, I've not been driving the evo much - trying to keep it away from the salt but I did get it out at the weekend for a quick drive and also fitted some Lockwood dials I got off Liam x on here:

They match my defi gauges nicely:

The only issue is that I didn't realise the original dials are always illuminated and since these are lighter you can see a slight green glow at all times, so I need to figure out a way of wiring the dials to light only with the sidelights.

Before I even bought the evo I also got a carbin din surround which I cut to suit the defi din gauge and stereo:

I also fitted a small front plate...which is almost legal:p

(It was washed after this)

However this is all a bit boring compared to the main wallet drain recently... I'll leave this here for now:

:naughty::coolsm:

#22 ·
Slow reply...

Cheers, they're good, slightly more attainable than the ralliart ones too!

Lockwood dials look a lot better in yours than they did in mine mate :)! Car looks lovely :smthumbup!
Thanks mate, it's good to have things matching. :)

Very nice car mate like the grey and black contrast
I do like the stealthy look however I really don't like black wheels, hence the new purchase...

What sizes have you went for with the new wheels mate?
18 x 9 ET35.... and on that note it was about time I got these fitted:

Genuine Rays TE37 Seibon Editions. I had been looking at the usual grids and Bola's and was very close to getting a set however I was worried about the offsets and also not keen on replica wheels, so when a genuine set of TE37's popped up I had to have them :)

At the same time I was also wanting to sort the suspension, luckily the MR has the proper and recently changed bilstein shocks but was running tein springs at just the front, I'd heard the ride on Eibach springs are better and the ride height more suited to my driveway! So I went for a set of them:

Quick dirty before and after:

The flash makes it more obvious and the springs will likely settle but it does sit just a little higher.

Back to the wheels and to fit them with I went for some genuine rays steel nuts and some not so genuine centre caps (I'm not paying ÂŁ100 for centrre caps when these can be had for a tenner!!!):

Finally the whole lot all together:

Obviously biased but I think it looks awesome! :p

Unfortunately I've not even driven it with the new bits on as the mot is due, so a CAT will b fitted first and then a fw more of the parts I've acquired. :)

#23 · (Edited)
Bit more of a (long) update on this....

Since fitting the wheels and springs above I had done approx 0 miles due to the mot expiring and having no time to get it done however it was finally done at the end of last month and passed with no advisories (although a CAT was required).

So with it road legal I of course parked it straight back in the garage!:wallbang: (Ironic when I sold the last car as I was spending more time under it than in it). Reason being another small pile of parts to fit:

Monster sport intake kit:

Seat lowering brackets (no photos of these fitted but they make a huge difference to the driving, definitely how the seats should be as standard):

Bonnet dampers:

New pads and fresh coolant:

Also whilst getting the CAT back off I noticed my current decat was 2.75" so me being a fusy bugger a full 3" was required to match the rest of the system:

Whilst fitting all of that lot I also removed the thermostat housing to have a bung welded on for my defi water temp gauge, you can just see it on the bottom of the housing here:

For a change with modifications everything fitted very well, especially the Monster intake kit which fits perfectly:

Whilst fitting the intake I also removed the ICS bottle to leave a nice space for a cool air intake (I'll be fitting ducting later):

And with the carbon lid on:

The final part fitted at this point was a MAC 3 port boost solenoid which the eagle eyed may have spotted above, with that on (but not connected) I took a trip to Performance HQ for a remap and wheel alignment - after having the suspension off I wanted this checked. I was very impressed with Russ's work and general enthusiasm/knowledge, the car is now running smoother but pulling harder than before, it made a healthy 305hp and 307lbft at the wheels with Russ saying the HQ dyno generally has a loss of 100hp, so a good 400/400 at the fly.

I also had the pops and bangs mapped in for some fun.... which it is:D

I had the best drive in the evo yet on the way home (not hard when I've only done 800miles since buying it!!) and made a 50 mile journey into a 150mile one. With the suspension properly aligned, good tires, brakes and mapping it really is a great package. :smthumbup

So I'm not planning much more other than keeping it clean and doing a few minor cosmetic bits but this is how she sits for now with the eibachs settled, hopefully there will be a plenty more miles under them in the summer:

#28 ·
#33 · (Edited)
Cheers guys! And sorry but I think it will be a while before I'm bored of the TE37's:p

Time for a wee update - just after I bought the evo (typical) I noticed a small bubble on the rear passenger arch, this grew over the year to the size of a 10p. So I took it to a local bodyshop (Broughty Ferry Auto Services) to be looked at and as soon as he seen it he said it had been repaired previously with filler and would need cut out :(

It was booked in to be repaired along with a few other bits done - the bootlid also had some small bubbles right under the wing and at the shut lines, more common evo rusty bits! The last bits was the fitting of some carbon bumper ducts and a nose chop - I've always disliked the evo 8's beak so it had to go! So enough chat, this is the end result which I'm very happy with;

And some slightly scenic ones (the light wasn't the best though);

The mesh is obviously missing a section as it is still the original piece but I think it needs a badge anyway so I'm hoping that will fill the hole ok, the only other thing I think it needs exterior wise is a carbon bonnet vent (yes I love my carbon tat!).

With winter coming though the evo will be hibernating which will give me the opportunity to some little bits on the interior and more importantly get some new brakes - the front are juddering horribly just now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.